Becoming A Monk

thaijasmine

At the beginning of March a Thai friend will go to a Temple in Isaan to become a monk for one month.

For a week before that he says he will stay in his home in Isaan but I don't know the significance of this.

I will be attending the " ceremony " when he becomes a monk ( when they a wear a white robe ) and I would like to get a better understanding of the meaning of the different steps in the procedure including the week before if that has any significance. Would anyone happen to know where I could read something about this written in English ?

Edited by thaijasmine

Here is one link about becoming a monk: http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/becomin...n_thailand.html

There are many other ordination stories on the web. Ordination ceremonies are generally the same no matter the location.

In Thailand the minimum time to stay ordained is longer (1 to 3 months) than in countries outside of Thailand where lifestyles get in the way.

I have been ordained 2 times in Thai Buddhist temples and I was asked to come to the temple a few weeks before ordination.

I understand that staying at the temple or at home away from the usual things in life is a way to prepare and purify your mind and body.

I wore white during that time and studied and memorized the verses of Pali text that is required to recite to become a monk.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been ordained 2 times in Thai Buddhist temples and I was asked to come to the temple a few weeks before ordination.

I understand that staying at the temple or at home away from the usual things in life is a way to prepare and purify your mind and body.

I wore white during that time and studied and memorized the verses of Pali text that is required to recite to become a monk.

I am ordaining in this coming April and I have been searching for the Pali text that is required to recite at the ceremony for quite a long time. Do you happen to have the Pali and romanized to English version of this text? Also, do you happen to have the audio version of this to help me learn and listen to it?

Any information or documents would help me greatly,

Thank you

I am ordaining in this coming April and I have been searching for the Pali text that is required to recite at the ceremony for quite a long time. Do you happen to have the Pali and romanized to English version of this text? Also, do you happen to have the audio version of this to help me learn and listen to it?

Any information or documents would help me greatly,

Thank you

I have it, send me an email and I can send you a copy. Pali with the english translation. Mahanikaya version.