Anyone Know Cheap Call Number From Uk To Thailand

dmax

Open an account with VOIP discount, Poivy.com or another of these cheap voip systems on the internet.

Check the local number to call into (local UK number)

Contact you mobile phone company and ask them a fixed price to call this number and certainly don't tell them this number is from voipdisount! (I pay € 10 to make UNLIMITED calls to one specific fixed phone number, in this case the one of voipdiscount)

And call your contact in thailand and elsewhere in the world for free and almost unlimited just by using two staged calling throught the voipdiscount free for your mobile phone dialin number...

THANKS.... PLEASE EXPLAIN IN MORE DETAIL HOW THIS WORKS AS IVE SIGNED INTO POIVY.COM AND IT SAYS ALL CALLS TO THAILAND MOBILES ARE FREE, SURELY NOT ?

I'm telling you people - Localphone.

try it - you wont be dissapointed.

I used to pi55 about with those 0844 numbers until I discovered the gem that is localphone - no access numbers, no charging for no pick-up, no connection charge <deleted>.

just register then give localphone the international number you want to call and they give you a local number for your area - save it in your contacts and hey presto.

thailand is currently 0.5p per min.

Agreed, would definitely recommend Localphone. Switched from Rebtel and it's so much better. They even had free calls for 24 hours on Valentine's Day.

www.localphone.com.

the best by far.

Fully agree.....you have to set up an account (minimum is 3 pounds I think) then it's 0.5 pence per minute plus the cost of a local BT call. If you have free minutes on your UK mobile you can use those so the total cost is....0.5 pence. Trust me!

www.localphone.com.

the best by far.

Fully agree.....you have to set up an account (minimum is 3 pounds I think) then it's 0.5 pence per minute plus the cost of a local BT call. If you have free minutes on your UK mobile you can use those so the total cost is....0.5 pence. Trust me!

yip, I use localphone from both my mobile and home phone - I get 300 inclusive minutes from vodafone on my mobile and inclusive landline calls on my home phone so all I'm paying for is the 0.5p per min to localphone.

the connection/line is good and the website is very professional and as I said previously there's no connection charge or charge for no pick-up - I honestly can't compliment localphone enough.

no access numbers too - just thinking of the old dark days of 0844 numbers makes me want to vom :)

Since most of us on the fourm are in Thailand...anybody have any tips on calling out from here to other countries ?

009 worksfor me (UK)00944.......then no.

I use 008 - does it depend on your company?? I'm with DTAC.

You can go online and register with 18185.co.uk , calls to landline or mobile in Thailand cost 1p per minute and connection is really good, hope this helps . Mickylonster

www.localphone.com.

the best by far.

I get unlimited landline calls on my mobile (o2 network) so yeah only costs me 0.5p a min.

I was also using "Phone Cheap" on 0844 200 9898 and had the same trouble as you. But now they have changed the number to 0844 200 2525 and it's back to 0.5 pence a minute, so give it a try. ( you can still get through on 0844 200 9898 but not for 0.5)

Having looked at my BT bills, calls to Thailand from a UK BT landline via Phonecheap on the number 0844 200 9898 now cost 10p for the first minute or part thereof if shorter duration than one minute (call it a connection fee if you like but then you should add that the first minute is not additionally charged) and 0.5p per minute thereafter. Those prices are inclusive of VAT.

Thanks to the OP for pointing out the change in respect of the first 'expensive' minute. I probably would not otherwise have noticed for a while yet.The 2p per minute bit quoted by the OP is not what I am being charged and calls are still in theory relatively cheap if you are making say one long call a day, rather than lots of little ones. A 30 minute call still only costs 25p, which is pretty cheap in my book. The problem is, as anyone who uses VOIP cheapy services well knows, sometimes the call does not properly connect so you may end up accumulating a few 10p aborted calls over a typical month.

Andyg75, can you confirm that you have used the 0844 200 2525 Phonecheap number with a BT landline and that the first minute charge is 0.5p, not 10p?

Edited by SantiSuk

I was also using "Phone Cheap" on 0844 200 9898 and had the same trouble as you. But now they have changed the number to 0844 200 2525 and it's back to 0.5 pence a minute, so give it a try. ( you can still get through on 0844 200 9898 but not for 0.5)

Having looked at my BT bills, calls to Thailand from a UK BT landline via Phonecheap on the number 0844 200 9898 now cost 10p for the first minute or part thereof if shorter duration than one minute (call it a connection fee if you like but then you should add that the first minute is not additionally charged) and 0.5p per minute thereafter. Those prices are inclusive of VAT.

Thanks to the OP for pointing out the change in respect of the first 'expensive' minute. I probably would not otherwise have noticed for a while yet.The 2p per minute bit quoted by the OP is not what I am being charged and calls are still in theory relatively cheap if you are making say one long call a day, rather than lots of little ones. A 30 minute call still only costs 25p, which is pretty cheap in my book. The problem is, as anyone who uses VOIP cheapy services well knows, sometimes the call does not properly connect so you may end up accumulating a few 10p aborted calls over a typical month.

Andyg75, can you confirm that you have used the 0844 200 2525 Phonecheap number with a BT landline and that the first minute charge is 0.5p, not 10p?

:)

I give up......

I'll just enjoy the luxury of localphone along with 'popmybubble' and 'kratiam'...

looks like everyone else is sticking to the 0844 rip-off merchants!!

I use mobilecaller.com works out great for calling from US to Thailand cell phones.

I see they also do a UK to Thai cell

http://mobilecaller.com/rates.asp?GUID=7D8...58CDDE8C7CE44F2

Dont know how they compare to others for you but I never use the 3 minute rounding plans.

I just pay a little more for minute rounding. 20-40 bucks lasts for months. We call the family usually every weekend

Edited by flying

Download www.nimbuzz.com for your mobile phone

This gives you mobile Skype, MSN, Yahoo etc on your phone anywhere and anytime FREE

You can then use your mobile phone to make skype calls free from any wifi connection. You can call othe skype mobile phones, call PC with Skype etc

If you both have mobile phones (Such as Nokia E63) you can make free wifi calls on skype to each other anywhere

If you have mobile nimbuzz, you can sign up for their Nimbuzz VOIP and prepay US $10, $20, or $40 at a time

To call Thailand from UK with Nimbuzz VOIP is 1 baht per minute and crystal clear

Open an account with VOIP discount, Poivy.com or another of these cheap voip systems on the internet.

Check the local number to call into (local UK number)

Contact you mobile phone company and ask them a fixed price to call this number and certainly don't tell them this number is from voipdisount! (I pay € 10 to make UNLIMITED calls to one specific fixed phone number, in this case the one of voipdiscount)

And call your contact in thailand and elsewhere in the world for free and almost unlimited just by using two staged calling throught the voipdiscount free for your mobile phone dialin number...

THANKS.... PLEASE EXPLAIN IN MORE DETAIL HOW THIS WORKS AS IVE SIGNED INTO POIVY.COM AND IT SAYS ALL CALLS TO THAILAND MOBILES ARE FREE, SURELY NOT ?

did you make an account with poivy?

Now go to the following web page:

http://www.poivy.com/en/geo.html

Select United kingdom from the drop down menu. Then select the region.

That's the number you have to call to.

Before you can use this number, you will have to configure you poivy account to recognize the number from where you are calling. This is called the caller ID or clip number.

Let's say, your home phone number you call from is +44 1234567890,

then you'll have to log into your account at poivy on the web site, then go to the personal details section (in the left collumn) and you'll see something like:

PHONE numbers somewhere in the middle of the page.

fill in your home phone number +44 1234567890

You can also fill in your mobile number of your mobile phone.

Next time, you call the local access number of poivy, it will know it is YOU and it will use your account when you call on.

So how it work? Call the local access number of poivy, then wait until you hear the operator. The automated operator asks you to dial the number of your correspondent, which in your case is thailand. Dial 0066 .... followed with the number of your correspondent and add a hash at the end of the number.

There you are: you are calling thailand for free through your local access number.

Second thing to do is trying to get a subscription at your mobile phone company so you can call this local access number for free.

I got this done with my Belgian operator. I have a monthly subscription of € 10. I never call any number but the local access number to call all over the world. My monthly subscription fee never exceeds this 10 euro, although I can call up to 10 hours per month for free within this subscription fee to this only one number.

This system is called TWO STAGED dialing. If you want to automate this two staged dialing to your correspondent, then save the number of your correspondent as follows:

localaccessnumber + pause + correspondentnumber

let's say your local access number is 0987654321 and your correspondent number is 0066876543210 then you save the number like this

0987654321p0066876543210#

in your phone

to make this p, if you use nokia, just press 2 or 3 times the star key.

I hope this post makes it clear as crystal water.