Do Any Farangs And Thaiwife Know This....?

meuanfun

Thai law is v clear about where the money goes as far as I can make out.

Any will cannot invalidate the right of the wife to claim her share of any money they made together.

Other than that I'm v sketchy on Thai law regarding inheritance. Google it - there's lot's of info on the net.

Any will cannot invalidate the right of the wife to claim her share of any money they made together.

Other than that I'm v sketchy on Thai law regarding inheritance. Google it - there's lot's of info on the net.

Now that is a scary subject that I believe, is of equal importance and something I have been investigating for a long time. :)

Now that is a scary subject that I believe, is of equal importance and something I have been investigating for a long time. :)

I understand that is not true. the will may specifically exclude any person. The wife would have to apply to the court for te will to be set aside or for the court to allow her to claim.

The OP speaks much sense: make a will, provide telephone numbers and contact details, leave written instructions, all easily dooable but just requires a little effort now - BTW, this applies to everyone and not just to us old farts, after all, we old guys don't ride motor bikes as much the younger guys do! Here endeth the lesson.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my solution: get a competent English speaking THAI LAWYER, make a valid WILL,

he will assist my partner with ALL required paperwork , do translation to any language required,

get past bureaucratic hoops, get EMBASSY approval & deal with your LIFE INSURANCE matters.

cost ? 10% of net funds recovered from insurance PLUS THB 50,000.- for formalities.

The bigger your insur. payout the MORE he will get.

So your partner ( Thai female/male) can be assured that as long as he/she is named as beneficiary

in the life insurance policy, the funds will come to them. Hope this helps.

OP, That is aweful for her to go through that, I hope she gets it sorted asap.

Ohh dear, I didnt know that. So I wonder whats going to happen in my case, when I die, I don't have a family back home, they are all dead already. Is my body going to remain inside the thai hospital forever?

I already have a will but it doesnt address where my body should go. :D

Leave a note with your solicitor to inform the doctor where you keep your Bin bags or if you are civilised your cardboard Box :D

Hi neverdie ...you never die so do not afraid my friend : )

Ohh yeah, I forgot, thanks for reminding me.....I've actually forgotten the insensitivity of my tv name when posting in these threads.

Thanks for posting the information though, I would never of known otherwise. I have a will but it specifically doesnt mention this issue and not being married I could cause a few problems if my luck runs out. Best I speak to my solicitor about this :)

thankyou and sorry for your loss, i hope his lady sorts it all out asap.

• 2 weeks later...
I tell my wife, just notify my sister. Then bury me in the rice fields. Tell nobody else and the checks will keep coming, better than any life insurance policy. Once the atm card expires no more money, but a least she should live well for three or fours years as the checks come every month. On 5k in $ a month she will be well taken care of.

Yeah, I'm up for that !

Just make sure that the ATM card has a massive expiry date or get new ones sent to a lawyer who will forward them on forever. In fact, just get it paid into a joint Thai bank account and then she can claim it forever for real.

When someone passes on it may be a real challenge for others to figure out where you put all the information that is needed to determine the scope of your estate and information to help settle it. Can you imagine someone trying to look through all your stuff to piece together what you have without any guidance from you? Wills are necessary but are usually general and don't spell out all the details of what you have because what you have is constantly changing.

You might try maintaining a notebook with plastic pages that you can insert documents in such as copies of recent bank statements, stock accounts, car titles, house deeds, evidence of payoff of mortgages, birth certificates, marriage certificates, copy of pension statements or other earnings statements, life insurance policy pages, tax returns, computer accounts and passwords, credit card statements..... just anything that would be helpful to someone trying to settle your estate.

May not be totally up to date when you pass but at least it should give your beneficiary a clue as to most of the account numbers, policy numbers, etc. to get the latest balances, etc. from.

Then there is the problem of protecting that accumulated data until it is needed but you already have that problem anyway.

And don't forget to discuss this with and show it to the person and an alternate that you will entrust this to so they know what to look for and where to find it when it is needed.

When someone passes on it may be a real challenge for others to figure out where you put all the information that is needed to determine the scope of your estate and information to help settle it. Can you imagine someone trying to look through all your stuff to piece together what you have without any guidance from you? Wills are necessary but are usually general and don't spell out all the details of what you have because what you have is constantly changing.

You might try maintaining a notebook with plastic pages that you can insert documents in such as copies of recent bank statements, stock accounts, car titles, house deeds, evidence of payoff of mortgages, birth certificates, marriage certificates, copy of pension statements or other earnings statements, life insurance policy pages, tax returns, computer accounts and passwords, credit card statements..... just anything that would be helpful to someone trying to settle your estate.

May not be totally up to date when you pass but at least it should give your beneficiary a clue as to most of the account numbers, policy numbers, etc. to get the latest balances, etc. from.

Then there is the problem of protecting that accumulated data until it is needed but you already have that problem anyway.

And don't forget to discuss this with and show it to the person and an alternate that you will entrust this to so they know what to look for and where to find it when it is needed.

Scan everything and send it to a few email addresses in cyber space including any lawyers you use and those who you want to know. I don't see why people should only find things out when hearing a will. Discuss it all beforehand but have everything available to hand.