Helpwhat Are These (pic) Running Around My House?

post-91210-1268751469_thumb.jpgHi Guys,

I have a LOT of centipedes running around my bathrooms and now sometimes I run into one in the living room in Chiang Mai.

The came out of nowhere and now I see them a LOT. No kidding.... I close the bathroom door and 30 mins later there are 1-2 running around.

What are they?

Are they poisonous or otherwise harmfull?

What can I do against them?

I really really hate bugs so please let me know what to do. Considering moving to apartment or so atm.

If pic does not work here is description:

Black long body 2" or 5cm, yellow big legs about 20 or so on each side. Some large things on the head (yellow)

wife says : "Da Kaap", leg colour can be also dark red to brown,

avoid contact and biting

cannot eat :)

I'm not having that, I've seen worse than that for sale on some of these trolleys

:D

avoid contact and biting (extremly painfull)

No but if you drown them in a bottle of Lao Khaw the venom leaches out and you drink the resulting cocktail, after24 hors marinading, and it gives you more power :D .

Honest.

I should know, I've drunk it. :D

cannot eat :D

No but if you drown them in a bottle of Lao Khaw the venom leaches out and you drink the resulting cocktail, after24 hors marinading, and it gives you more power :D .

Honest.

Count me out on a pub-crawl with you Phil........... :)

wife stepped on one also in an upstairs bathroom....

she was hospitalized and received i.v. for the night....

if you want to.... spray around the base of the room with ants insecticide to get rid of these TAR-KARP

or spray directly on them.... to exterminate.... ooooouch

if you want to.... spray around the base of the room with ants insecticide to get rid of these TAR-KARP

My experience is that they like to hide under garden pots and sand/dirt bags on the outside.

I'm in a new house and have not seen any in the house.

The wife freaks out when she sees on and the only thing that kills them is to run over them with your car.

She confirms that they can give a very painful sting or bite.

Spraying them with roach or ant spray just makes them mad and they move fast with all those scorpion like legs.

Don't wear flip-flops if you are planning to to battle with one. Full body cover is better.

Tried to use one of those mosquito electric swatters. There was a loud pop but it got away.

Look like Takarb...ตะขาบ

but yours a bit funny color

Like those white cockroaches in BKK.........here in CNX all RED!!

Capture throw away in the wild streets..sure do NOT get stung...nasty....bit of Tiger balm and visit to nearest hospital

Wonder why you got them..too many dark damp places in your condo??

Honest.

true, I've seen in mainland china in a local eatery - everyone including women was drinking centipede+scorpion mixed sake drink

having a good time...

the latin name is scalopendra (spelling?) where i lived in greece they are called saranda podia (40 feet) they are very toxic ...i was once bitten while sleeping in bed and my leg was dead like pins and needles for about 8 hours, After this i always killed them on sight but greeks told me they are the gardners friend and eat slugsand other things which destroy your vegetable crop.

It is certainly a member of the genus Scolopendra, there are many different species in Thailand which cannot be easily distinguished, and especially not with a photo alone

Some Thai dare to take them into their mouth: http://www.fpmconsultant.com/htm/news02.php?id=119

I would not recommend Farangs doing so...

Erwin

Edited by chinnotes

was bitten a few years ago hurt like hel_l hate the dam_n things they move very quick and are very aggresive kill the dam_n things nice machete and a few taps to them makes them a lot smaller easier to catch when only 4 sets of ten legs right slows them down to

My experience is that they like to hide under garden pots and sand/dirt bags on the outside.

I'm in a new house and have not seen any in the house.

The wife freaks out when she sees on and the only thing that kills them is to run over them with your car.

She confirms that they can give a very painful sting or bite.

Spraying them with roach or ant spray just makes them mad and they move fast with all those scorpion like legs.

Don't wear flip-flops if you are planning to to battle with one. Full body cover is better.

Tried to use one of those mosquito electric swatters. There was a loud pop but it got away.

chanwit

i guarantee that if you spray directly on any of them, which i have had done several times since, the size of 6 to 8 inch long--red, brown or black colored, initially they would try to escape....

you need to keep on spraying on them, better yet just spray and cover the whole body, :D

in a minute or two.... they will stop squirming completely and CHAI-YO, CHAI-YO, CHAI-YO....

your lovely wife will proclaim you the greatest deliverer in her life time.... :)

These thing worry me more than snakes. painfull...

Agreed, I will catch and release a snake found in the house - centipedes are to be killed on sight.

I too have been bitten by one - very painful.