Anyone Submitted UK Settlement Visa On March 2010 And Get The Result?

Thanks for your reply 7by7.

I’m not the wiser as on my girlfriend’s passport it states.

TYPE Visa to join partner (then my name & date of birth)

Valid = from 1/7/10

Valid = until 1/10/12

Others = No recourse to public funds

Any idea what she was given?

Look at the visa endorsement.

If a 27 month spouse visa it will say "Spouse Code 1 (your name)" and will give an expiry date.

If ILE, but she hasn't passed the LitUK test it will say " Settlement Spouse (KOL Req) Code 1 (your name)" and will give an expiry date.

If full ILE, i.e. she has passed the LitUK test, then it will say "Settlement Spouse (your name)" and will have no expiry date.

BTW, Code 1 means no recourse to public funds.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your reply 7by7.

I’m not the wiser as on my girlfriend’s passport it states.

TYPE Visa to join partner (then my name & date of birth)

Valid = from 1/7/10

Valid = until 1/10/12

Others = No recourse to public funds

Any idea what she was given?

Look at the visa endorsement.

If a 27 month spouse visa it will say "Spouse Code 1 (your name)" and will give an expiry date.

If ILE, but she hasn't passed the LitUK test it will say " Settlement Spouse (KOL Req) Code 1 (your name)" and will give an expiry date.

If full ILE, i.e. she has passed the LitUK test, then it will say "Settlement Spouse (your name)" and will have no expiry date.

BTW, Code 1 means no recourse to public funds.

Sounds like settlement for unmarried partner rather than spouse..? though it shows 27 months rather than 24 which is what unmarried partner is usually granted..

The experts are lurking and should clarify..

Congrats all the same !

Edited by jasonr3255

I don't think this is an exact science as the quality and strength of every application must differ. I can fully understand why someone who has a very strong financial position and does not therefore require public funds and has a long relationship with the woman, is offered a visa in a few days and someone who has a very weak case has it referred upwards to a senior decision maker, thus taking a much longer time. It cannot merely be down to the amount of applications on their desk.

I would be glad to hear from anyone who does know how some applications get done in 5 days and some in 120 days. I am married 14 years, own a house in UK, have a few hundred grand savings and earn a six figure income yet over 6 weeks waiting and nothing yet. What criteria do those done in a few days supply?

I honestly don't know but any form of logic dictates that your case would be easier to make a decision on than some borderline case where there was a real ability to decline the visa application on a number of grounds. Then again, I would not bet against bureaucracy being jealous of someone with such an income !

I think there must be dozens of perfect applications waiting to be processed but with 3% done 2 days, 3 % done in 3 days and 4 % done 5 days they must be picked at random. Even what appears to be a perfect application on the surface must be looked at in detail to make sure everything is as should be, which if you look at it in that light then the quality of the application has absolutely no bearing on the time frame for processing. It's a lottery who's is processed quickly otherwise they would be wading through applications choosing which one to do quickly, and I can't see that myself.That's my opinion and that counts for nothing !

The figures for May are vastly distorted by the riots in Bangkok and so forth. IN fact, the website has gone offline this morning and may well be updated today to show the figures for June. The normal figures are far better than those shown for May.

Phil, from looking at the Leave to enter endorsement and list of conditions required with each code it would appear that she has been given an unmarried partner visa.

As you have been living together for 5 years (I'd like to claim a remarkable memory, but the truth is I checked you previous posts!) it seems to me that you should have been given ILE subject to KOL.

They both have a 27 month validity, the difference being that with ILE subject to KOL she could apply for ILR as soon as she has satisfied the KOL requirement, whereas with an unmarried partners visa she would have to wait until she has not only satisfied KOL but also been resident in the UK for 24 months.

This may seem a small matter, but if this government continues to annually increase application fees the way the last one did, it will cost a lot more in 2 years time!

Of course, if she has satisfied KOL then she should have been given ILE, with no need to make any further applications or pay any further fees until and unless she wishes to apply for British citizenship.

You could try to contact the embassy and check, and if wrong get them to change it; or, probably easier, wait until you are both in the UK to sort it out.. See this post.

25th March today 15th July..2 year wife/spouse ILE at Regents House...

The man from the VFS says YESSSSSS ! :jap:

NO agency used...just used TV and pinned guides and followed instructions carefully and did everything they asked/suggested.

Cheers....

TV...

It means she can go and live in the UK and i can stay here :lol:

NO agency used...just used TV and pinned guides and followed instructions carefully and did everything they asked/suggested.

Cheers....

TV...

Congratulations

Cheers....

TV...

Well done and good luck for the future in the UK ! :)

All the best for your future life together.

One small point; the man from VFS didn't say anything, they are merely a handling agent. It is entry clearance officers at the embassy who make the decisions. Sorry to be a boring pedant, but it is an important distinction.

• 1 month later...

Regarding my query about my partners visa, I emailed the British embassy to ask about my partner’s visa status. Their reply is as follows.

In order to qualify for Indefinite Leave to Enter, the couple should be living together outside the UK for at least four years and the applicant has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, unless he/she is aged 65 or over at the time he/she makes the application. See SET16 Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (the KOL provision).

Given that the applicant has not provided the document to prove that she has met the requirement of English language therefore we are satisfied that the decision to issue an unmarried partner visa was correct.

For further comprehensive guidance can be found from www.ukvisas.gov.uk

We hope this clarifies the position.

Yours sincerely,

I thought her visa would have been for ILE subject to KoL?

Does anyone please know if this means she can still take the KoL test and apply for ILR straight away, or does she have to wait 27 months?

Thanks,

Phil

It seems from what they say that the entry clearance she has been granted means she will need to have been in the UK for 24 months, and satisfied KOL of course, before she can apply for ILR.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that this is the wrong entry clearance.

However, my advice is to wait until you are both in the UK and then sort it out with the UKBA; I believe that at least one member had a similar problem which was successfully resolved once in the UK.

It seems from what they say that the entry clearance she has been granted means she will need to have been in the UK for 24 months, and satisfied KOL of course, before she can apply for ILR.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that this is the wrong entry clearance.

However, my advice is to wait until you are both in the UK and then sort it out with the UKBA; I believe that at least one member had a similar problem which was successfully resolved once in the UK.

Hi 7by7, thanks for your reply. I think you are correct also.

We are in the UK now so I’ll contact the UKBA and try to sort this out.

Thanks,

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

This was the reply I received from the UKBA which may be of help to others.

See the rest of this thread for the full story.

Phil

Dear Mr xxx

Thank you for your enquiry.

Indefinite Leave to Enter is no longer granted due to the introduction of the Life in the UK test. Instead those who have been living abroad in a relationship akin to marriage are granted two years Leave to Enter in order for the applicant to complete the Life in the UK test. Once the test has been successfully completed the applicant is able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain using the SET(M) application form, this can be done at any time during the two years. The applicant does not have to wait until they have completed 23 months in the UK.

Yours sincerely,

Immigration Group

UK Border Agency