Help Please, re. Gyms in bkk and Acne

hggcraig

Just wondered if i could get some help with a few questions, im going to Bkk soon for the first time, i know this website is for ex pats but i didnt know where else to ask.

1. Where is the best place gym for me to visit, im into weights and not cardio

2. Im only young and have problem with acne for ages since i was 12 is there anywhere i can go for a facial thing (no sexual jokes, lol) to help my skin

thanks for any help

Fitness centres are becoming the 'in-thing' in Bangkok. There are a couple in Silom Road and others dotted around the city at prices that range from fair to extortionate. Most large shopping centres have a branch of 'Fitness First'.

For acne, again there are many clinics that deal with this problem. Perhaps the most reliable can be found along Sukhumvit Road.

:o

2. Im only young and have problem with acne for ages since i was 12 is there anywhere i can go for a facial thing (no sexual jokes, lol) to help my skin

thanks for any help

Listen--The only known cure for acne is Acutane. For most people, acne will disappear after a few years. But if you are a serious sufferer, get on the program now. It is extremely toxic to the liver, and you have to get blood tests every month to make sure your enzymes are OK. But in just a few short months, you problem is gone. Some people get serious scars and damage to their face from acne, and it is sad to see that his could have been avoided.

I know this. Trust me. I was on the drug 15 yrs ago. Two of my friends have also taken it and had rewarding results. Side effects are different for everyone. For me, it was the worst pain of my life. My joints ached, I had no energy, my skin dried and cracked, my lips cracked and shriveled to a pulp. I was not allowed to drink alcohol and my liver reacted so badly that I was taken off the medication afte only 2 months. But the result??...my acne was gone forever. I suffered so many years with acne.

Most importantly though, I don't recommend taking it in Thailand. You need constant supervision from a doctor and frequent blood tests. But it is all worth it. I would do it again if I had to. Good luck.

Edited by kyb789

BRING ALONG WITH U a very good Acne soap, since the pollution in Bangkok and the humidity will increase your acne di 100%

May be if you fly to Phuket and swim in the sea every day, you will see that your acne will be just a memory, salty water and sun are the best cures for acne (and of course a good acne soap)

best

Gym

Actually, it is kind of difficult to find a real hardcore gym here in Bangkok because serious lifting and bodybuilding is not attracting the broad masses and hence there is not much money to make. Therefore most modern gyms are more like fitness clubs with ear deafening music and newspaper reading, TV watching and chatting audiences. Basically, I only know just of one place with real muscleheads and that is the open air gym in Lumpini park. Old, rusty lifting equipment, hot, but great atmosphere with the biggest boys in town. No frills but just sweat and go for the lift. Once I was lifting there and a couple of Katoey's (= transvestites) in appropriate outfits walked by and you can imagine the big muscled macho guys went nuts (even nuttier than usual) and had their fun. Surely not the best place in terms of air condition and equipment but just for the spirit as a serious lifter. Give it a try but beware noon time 'coz the iron is sometimes just too hot to grasp it. A little bit like the open air gym on Venice Beach and it is just 20 baht a session.

Acne

Recommend to try the Lumpini Clinic on Soi 2 (Sala Daeng) of North Sathorn Road. My wife had once severe acne problems and all got fixed there in a couple of month. It is a combination seeing the doctor evaluating the problem, getting inhouse treatment and also appropriate medication such as soap, creams etc. REAL useful medication and not that crap leading cosmetic companies sell for a leg and an arm and the stuff does nothing but worsening the problem.

Good small and affordable clinic knowing their stuff. Don't mind being the only foreigner there among heaps of Thais. They can surely rid you of your pimples.

Lots of luck and welcome to Bangkok.

Cheers,

Richard :o

Edited by Richard Hall

When I see some muscle-bound thug at the gym with acne -- particularly on his back -- I usually assume he's on steroids.  Isn't that one of the well-known side effects?

Yes, acne can be indeed a side effect of steroid abuse among other symptons such as developing female breasts and shrinking testicles. So the only advice can be to stay clean from steroids like any other drugs :o

This acne you are referring to can also be caused by an allergic reaction to milk protein adults sometimes develop particularly if they have not consumed dairy products for a long time (for example since childhood) but all of a sudden including them into their diet again when engaging into the iron game.

Thug like behaviour paired with big muscles that look steadily pumped without even starting the work-out and those pimples look indeed like indicators that such a person is on juice because especially testosterone also makes aggressive.

Nevertheless with the right devotion and attitude one can achieve quite a bit WITHOUT involving the pharmasist. Eventually those muscles will be real and lasting along with the health benefit which should be the primary reason for hitting the gym at all.

The initator of this thread also indicated that he is quite of a young age and well, due to the hormon imbalance lots of youths suffer from acne. So let's think positive and assume he does not categorize as steroid abusing muscle-bound thug but rather a sporty and devoted young man with a naturally occuring skin problem. :D

Cheers,

Richard

Any California Now or Fitness First club will be available for you to train at. These centres are well known and easy enough to find in Bkk, as long as your prepared to pay a bit extra for their services. There really is enough weights there to accommodate you. Theres also plenty of staff to give you help if needed.

For acne, i was always told to make sure you continue to drink plenty of water throughout the day, it definately can help....... try to keep a "clean diet" as well, being as free from preservatives, cane sugar rich products(chocolates etc) and fast/junk foods.......im sure practicing this will not prevent acne occuring but it may help.... :o

There is a gym for residents and guests at :

SV City Condo complex on Rama III in the bldg closest to the river - 8 in all. There you can lift as much deadweight as individually capable or use machinery. The last time I used the gym they had a total 360Kg that could be lifted. I noticed this because an 'Arnie' lookalike Japanese guy was pushing it.

They also have an excellent riverside restuarant where you can load up after a workout, or take a swim in the near olympic size pool. In fact for the hardened there are sufficient facilities to spend the whole day there.

Acne - cannot comment on present medication but my nephew who had his share used toothpaste on his spots to dry them out and the effects was incredible.

Also a mild astrigent to clean the greasy skin, leave all the crap food alone as earlier suggested, and drink loads of fresh water.

T.