What I Like About Thailand

rivers2020

Yesterday I posted items I think would make Thailand a better place now if fairness why I love thailand and plan on staying here a long time

some are very simple and perhaps mean nothing.

1. the wei. I like it nice hearwarmin way to greet somebody, now the social stigma attached to the wei can be argued but the gesture itself is nice.

2. the weather ,.ok ok its fricking hot here in Chiang mai but most of the year even rainy season this part of thailand is very livable.

3. the food...yummy and the street food good and cheap, yes spicy at times but not all thai food is spicy. and the fruit omg i could eat mangosteens until i get blue in the face.

4. the cost of living for a expat. but then I remember when i first came here comparing dollars to bhat and thinking how cheap everything is, now i just think in bhat...seems a bit more expensive but still much less than back home.

5 crime...despite the increase against expats, I still feel much safer than in the states.

6 the women ok i said it.

7.a few months back i made some banking mistakes and found my self short of money and none to arrive for 2 weeks, so i asked a couple of expat friends for a few hundred bhat...they would not help me so i called friends in the states and they sent some but i needed a bit more, my thai neighbors gave me more than i asked for and were glad to do it, I don't feel any resentment at all towards my expat friends and if things were reversed I might have done the same thing, But kudos to my Thai friends most have little but what they have they share.

8 friendly and sanook, my neighbors are always inviting me over to drink eat, ''sing a song'' and make me feel right at home, if fact too much so as sometimes I want a little more privacy, that said would not change my current situation for the world.

9 kids/babies....thais love kids. When my wife was due with our first kid, I told here many maternity wards in the usa have alarms in the rooms, this to prevent freaks from stealing babies, She did not believe me but my sister told her the same thing. Go shopping with your little one and thai women and even men come up play with the child-baby pick them up even walk off to show off the kid, i would no way let somebody in the states do the same thing...heck even touch my baby. and my child is taken care of by the neighborhood just as my wife and me help them out. i love this about thailand

jw

9 kids/babies....thais love kids. When my wife was due with our first kid, I told here many maternity wards in the usa have alarms in the rooms, this to prevent freaks from stealing babies, She did not believe me but my sister told her the same thing. Go shopping with your little one and thai women and even men come up play with the child-baby pick them up even walk off to show off the kid, i would no way let somebody in the states do the same thing...heck even touch my baby. and my child is taken care of by the neighborhood just as my wife and me help them out. i love this about thailand

this is probably the thing i hate most about this country. if you like people you have never met or spoken to trying to take your child out of your arms and grown men touching your daughter then that's great, but me, i ****ing hate it and now thankfully so does my daughter.

also i would never let a thai take care of my daughter unless it was an absolute emergency. probably generalising somewhat but they are just far too irresponsible imo

Edited by c411um

I hate this. I don't understand parents that let total strangers take a defenseless baby and walk off, as you said you wouldn't do it in the states, so why do it here? Do you think that child kidnappings, and child abuse don't happen in Thailand? But I guess if Johny jumps off a bridge its ok for everyone to do?

The thing I love about Thailand the most, is when you decide you've had enough, that its time to leave, and go to resell your car you get dam_n near full price for it!!! The resell value for cars is amazing in this country!!!!

1. the wei. I don't like the Wai, it started off cute but became annoying.

2. the weather. Can be a bit same same at times

3. the food. Yes food is good and cheap, but if you want Italian, Mexican, Indian etc for a change it's hard to get outside BKK and expensive. Almost impossible to get a good bacon and eggs or a cheese burger.

4. the cost of living for a expat. It is cheap but blows out a bit when the wife and kids come along, private schools, medical etc.

5 crime... Agreed, Thailand is safer than many places in Australia too.

6. The women, yes but then you marry one!

7. Never borrowed money from a Thai, did lend some once, that ended in tears.

8 friendly and sanook, my neighbors are always inviting me over to drink eat, ''sing a song'' - but I always get left with a feeling that I'm now indebted to them.

9 kids/babies....thais love kids. Both a blessing and a source of frustration.

Edited by Garry9999

OK, the OP may come across as a little naive, but its nice to be reminded of the good things now and again.

Can't say I care for the 'wai' myself - the nuances are not something one can pick up quickly or easily - so I prefer to bow my head, but the weather is a dam_n sight better than at home!

Rent and Thai food are still a lot cheaper than in the West and, as long as one avoids being rude or drunk in public, its still (I think) safer here than at home.

Why the 'locals' are so friendly is a matter of opinion depending on one's experiences......

The only real issue I'd take up with the OP is his belief that the Thai's are more trustworthy with children. IMO Western countries have alarms etc. in maternity wards because the public demand that EVERY precaution is taken (and the countries are wealthy enough to afford them) - not something that really happens here for good or bad. I doubt v much that incest, child abuse etc. is less prevalent here than in the West.

Edited by F1fanatic

i wrote the original op, and prior i wrote a post with my concerns on how I think thailand can improve

I laugh at those calling me naive, i bet most of you live in apartment or housing compounds with mostly farang neighbors, and or go to bars that cater to farang.

I used to live in one of those, had a pool, tennis courts bar, and had my own private pool as well. it was for me boring most of my neighbors self rightous yahoos, makes one understand the hatred towards colonists from over 100 years ago...people have not changed.

My biggest beef is with myself, as I really need to learn thai, but i am working on it

never said i was in love with thailand just mentioned things i like and enjoy about the country, if i had issues like so many of you i would just leave..

Positive thread, but I suspect it's going to end badly!
yes it probably will. sorry i seem to have turned it that way already. maybe an admin/mod could delete my comment(s)

good post garry.

i wrote the original one and yours made a lot of sense. and yes i really miss a decent burrito.

I did marry one and not 100% sure if it was the right thing, but then marriage in the west ends up in divorce 50% of the time

again thanks

i wrote the original op, and prior i wrote a post with my concerns on how I think thailand can improve

I laugh at those calling me naive, i bet most of you live in apartment or housing compounds with mostly farang neighbors, and or go to bars that cater to farang.

I used to live in one of those, had a pool, tennis courts bar, and had my own private pool as well. it was for me boring most of my neighbors self rightous yahoos, makes one understand the hatred towards colonists from over 100 years ago...people have not changed.

oops thailand was never colonized and good for them otherwise would have turned into pits like cambodia and burma.

My biggest beef is with myself, as I really need to learn thai, but i am working on it..

never said i was in love with thailand just mentioned things i like and enjoy about the country, if i had issues like so many of you i would just leave..

OP, yes great points. You nailed a bunch of the things I love about Thailand right on the head. I would also add the over all quality of life and what it costs you. The ratio for that is wonderful.

Very positive vieuw, would like to hear from you again within a year or so, and give your new opinion over this nine points again.

Positive thread, but I suspect it's going to end badly!

Yes..anyone saying anything positive about Thailand or their life here is always heading for disaster it seems. It's been a long standing mystery to me why so many stay here because they hate everything about the place. Ah.. but they hated were they came from too. Many have hated everywhere they have ever been....life's a bitch...thank God for Thaivisa so they can keep telling those of us who actually like living here how stupid we are not to hate it.

I second most of the goodness you have found in Thialand. The western salary just goes so much farther in Thailand that it offers a good lifestyle at a lower cost. For a limited fixed income Thailand is one of the better choices to retire in my opinion that suits me, the weather, people, topography, large community of expats, ease of travel, medical care, and endless list to add to the OPs.

Why I live Here

Many of the readers of this web site have asked the question why make the move to Thailand, and that question has forced me to take a look at my reasons. As a result I have attempted to put my reasons down to paper.

I am sure I have not covered everything because let me say there is something in the air here that makes life exciting. Every day there are things that pop up that make me laugh I cannot really explain it but there is a sense of freedom everywhere in this country.

While in the USA I feel oppressed and hurried, but again I apologies for not being able to really express my feelings properly.

I know that some of you who live here may disagree with some of the things I have stated but I am giving you my personal experiences and feelings.

Let me say at the outset that these are my reasons. Your life in your home country may differ from mine so some of these reasons may not be a reason for you to make a move to Thailand. So let me tell you a little about me to help you make a comparison.

My home country is USA.

I have never been convicted of a crime as a result I have never had a problem of entering any of the 30 countries I have visited.

I am single.

I enjoy “married type” life.

I am disgusted with western women

I am retired but under 65.

I have very little respect for American Police and the laws that they enforce especially traffic laws

I have very little respect for the American court system even though I respect the Law in general

I have no minor children.

I am a morning person.

I have no serious health problems.

If the above describes you then Thailand maybe a good move for you. I will explain in detail in the information below.

Women

First of all let me say there are good and bad women in every country what I am really trying to express here is that in my opinion that women here and in much of Asia have different priorities. Their first priority is their husband and they truly appreciate you and what you do for them and their family. Even after 5 years my girl still thanks me for my slightest effort to make her day more pleasant.

One of the biggest problems I found with American women is they put their children, parents, grandparents, grandchildren and pets ahead of their husband on their priority list.

This is especially true if you are remarried and her children are not your children.

There also is also age discrimination. Here if you have a clean appearance and a smile many girls will turn their eye toward you, even if you don’t act on this attention it is certainly nice to experience it.

In the States it is totally different; your age will automatically eliminate you from having a relationship with a younger woman unless you can provide big dollars. Take a walk in a mall in America and see how many heads of young ladies you can turn!

My girl is 26 years younger than I, but that age difference goes by each day without either one of us taking notice.

I don’t need to tell you how good it makes you feel that you can have a relationship with a young beautiful woman and truly know that you make her happy.

I have put women here as my first priority because that is what attracted me to Thailand initially, after moving here I discovered many other advantages.

There are other reasons that I could place in this category but my mother may read this! LOL

Health Care and Health Insurance

America health care system is pretty good but the expense is ridiculous, not only for the health care itself but for the insurance. When I left the USA my premium for non first dollar coverage was over 300 USD a month. Now I pay about a 1000 USD a year for better coverage

Bangkok has one of the best hospitals in the world, not only is the care first class but the cost is far less than anything you will find in the states.

Medications for the most part can be bought over the counter and in many cases for a fraction of the cost in the USA.

When I turn 65 this advantage will virtually disappear as I will have Medicare, I think!

The biggest disadvantage here is there is no 911 service. I live in the mountains if I have a serious injury or health problem I will most likely die!

I know that and still live here which goes a long way to tell you how much I love everyday int his country.

I would rather live a shorter life here in Thailand than suffer a longer life everyday in the USA.

But the good thing is I take better care of myself I know I eat better foods and I get a complete physical every year.

Lack of Enforced Oppressive laws

There is a sense of freedom here. There is no a constant police presence and laws that cause you to restrict you daily behavior. When I visit the USA I get this feeling of constant pressure to make sure that I am following many of these ridiculous laws. Many of these laws exists in Thailand many do not but the difference is that if you happen to get caught for not following a law in Thailand you don’t have to take out a mortgage to pay the fine or spend time in jail. I am not saying you can never go to jail here but for the most part for minor offenses there will just be a small fine.

Don’t fell like cutting your grass you don’t have to worry about the home owners association knocking on your door. If you would like to have a garage door don’t worry about putting in the door retraction system. With some care here you can find recreational drugs here and not have to worry about prison, you may need to have some money to get you out of jail but the beauty of this society is 99 times out of a 100 a small amount of money will get you out of trouble and there will no permanent stigma attached to you.

Traffic Laws

I like to drive and I like to have an open road which means many times I am driving over the speed limit It’s not driving fast I like, it is just the fact I don’t like to be in traffic, I feel unsafe following cars. Of course this means many speeding tickets in the USA and much money and time going to driving class. I have been driving for over 35 years with no accidents I believe that I drive very safe, fast does not mean reckless.

In Thailand I get stopped many times, my girl will give the cop the equivalent of 3 USD and we are on our way. How nice is that?

I also like to have drinks sometime when I am go out, here you don’t have to worry about a DUI if you get stopped pay your money and go. I don’t drive drunk but sometimes I do drive buzzed!

During my most recent visit my girl and I got stopped by a real asshol_e cop and he gave me a ticket for not moving over a lane? What kind of bullshit is that 220 USD!? He also threw in a seat belt ticket for 116 USD. Seat belt laws how foolish to make people wear seat belts, I can drive my motorcycle without a helmet in Florida but if I am surrounded by 5000 lbs of metal I have to wear a seat belt.

How about all those kids riding school buses, where are those seat belts? It is just another way for communities to raise money it has nothing to do with anyone watching out for you. Watch out for yourself and your family. I don’t need the government interfering in my personal life and preferences!

It is more dangerous to drive in Thailand that is for sure, so it becomes important to take safety measures while on the road. The most important being whenever possible DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT Thai’s feel as though driving with lights on is optional!

Non-Litigious Society

I really do enjoy law and the history of how our laws have been developing for many centuries. I appreciate and respect laws that are born from common sense and safety for others. I am totally disgusted with what has happened in the USA. Law suits are common practice the lawyer commercials continue all day long as they look for new reasons to sue a doctor, a hospital, pharmaceutical company or anyone for that matter. Sometimes you need a lawyer here but for the most part you can live everyday without having to interact with an attorney.

Thai Food

Great spicy food which meets my taste perfectly, always have loved food with a kick here I can get it everywhere and cheap!

From my travels I think Thai food is growing in popularity all over the world!

Geographic Location

Thailand is closer to the equator which means about 12 hours of sunlight 12 hours of darkness all year long. Don’t have to deal with long nights or long days.

Also no daylight savings time so it’s dark when you go to sleep and light when you wake up. As I said I am a morning person so I love the fact that the sun comes up around 6am and I love to see it set about 18:00 especially during those hot months.

I never really understood daylight savings time and now USA has extended those hours to include additional weeks, during my last visit my grandkids bedtime was 8 PM sun still high in the sky, they would get up around 7 am and of course it was dark! Don’t understand it never will and I don’t like it!

This may seem like a minor point but this has much to do with your internal clock and your whole attitude during the day.

Weather

I don’t like cold weather or snow so I don’t care how hot it gets I can always find some shade and a cold drink to cool off.

Infra Structure

The infrastructure here is weak and that is a fact, but it is weak because there are no property taxes. Personally since I have no young children here I don’t care about the quality of schools, or the proliferation of parks, tennis courts, baseball fields etc.

By the way the USA has been throwing money at the school systems for decades and with each passing year the education system continues to decline.

So no property taxes suits me just fine I put up with a few inconveniences due to the weak infrastructure but considering the money I save each year by not paying high property taxes it is a small price to pay.

Location to Bangkok

I really enjoy living two hours away from one of the biggest cities in the world. There are many services available including an International airport. If I were to live two hours from NYC the price of housing would be sky high.

Thai Massage

This may seem like a minor thing but not for me I get a massage everyday and it has become part of my daily life. I play tennis almost every day and I am old! That massage feels so good.

If anyone would like to see some pictures and additional experiences I have had in Thailand please visit

www.lifeofriley.org.

Also feel free to drop me an email [email protected]

Thank you

Lou Rossi