Emigrating From Uk To Thailand

Hi , I am retiring to Thailand probably just after christmas and wanted to know if there is any benefit in shipping out my personal items such as TV , dvd , PC stereo etc and would I incur import charges. All items are around three years old.

Plus any advice on settling in Thailand would be welcome, I plan to live in Pattaya with my Thai partner.

Many thanks

Hi JohnC,

I'm not sure what the UK electrical system is (I've heard about direct current), but in Thailand they use 220/50 A/C.

When I brought my US items with me, I also brought top quality 220 to 110 step-down transformers with me. They work, though some items like the cuisinart, run slower because in the US they use 60 cycle a/c. My cassette player works fine. My turntable was adjustable for different types, just as my computers are. Anything with an electric motor is likely to run slower and burn out, so you're generally better of buying one here if it's not compatible.

Is your TV, and DVD, multi-system compatible for the type of PAL they use here? It might be better to buy a TV and DVD player here if they are not. VCR's are tricky. They may be available in Bangkok, but not upcountry. You might want to buy a multi-system VCR before coming here, if you need one.

Do expect to be hit with customs charges on your old stuff. I guess it's an arbitrary, and corrupt system, so you might get by depending on your shipper's connections.

In general, I recommend taking as little as possible. Just bring what you can't part with. I do with I had brought my wooden LP boxes and folding book shelves, though!

Hope this helps. :o

Hi John.

Don't bother bringing anything, it's far cheaper just to replace stuff here.

I just brought, clothes, laptop and camera, the rest of my 250kg shipment belongs to my wife!!!

If you do decide to bring some things you won't have a problem with any electrical items (you do still use AC in the UK don't you, it's been a while). Local mains is 220V 50Hz. You can even buy adapters to plug your (fused) UK plugs into the local sockets. :o:D

Normal UK standard TV / VCR etc will not work correctly, Thailand uses a different flavour of PAL, not worth the hassle. TVs, DVD players, DVD recorders and even VCR's are all multi standard and readily available in the bigger electrical outlets. Local DVD players tend to be multi-region so your UK DVDs will play just fine.

You will get hammered for duty (and 'tea money') on your stuff. If your partner has been out of Thailand for a while you could save by them shipping as a returning resident, less duty (maybe even exempt). Not sure of the exact rules, maybe someone else can enlighten us.

Cheers

DC

Edited by Crossy

Hi , I am retiring to Thailand probably just after christmas and wanted to know if there is any benefit in shipping out my personal items such as TV , dvd , PC stereo etc and would I incur import charges. All items are around three years old.

Plus any advice on settling in Thailand would be welcome, I plan to live in Pattaya with my Thai partner.

Many thanks

Many thanks

Many thanks your comments were most helpful, looks like I will buy when i get there as all my own stuff is three years old and not worth shipping/import charges.

John

Many thanks

Many thanks your comments were most helpful, looks like I will buy when i get there as all my own stuff is three years old and not worth shipping/import charges.

John

Hi JohnC,

I'm from the UK and when I moved out here 7yrs ago I shipped out 13 T chest boxes of items including a TV which does not work here. If you have any good tools it might be an idea to bring them.

Good Luck

I'm not sure what the UK electrical system is (I've heard about direct current), but in Thailand they use 220/50 A/C.

UK is 230v 50Hz AC, so UK equipment does work with some caveats...

Main one is that a UK TV's PAL tuner will only scan UHF frequencies, since the UK only ever broadcast colour on the UHF frequencies, and I think there may also be issues with the audio, but it might work if it's Nicam. For non-broadcast TV, it should work fine. (for watching DVDs, or for UBC as they can use the S-Video or Composite inputs.)

Next one is that UK is DVD Region 2, and Thailand is Region 3, so you'll either need a multi-region DVD player to play UK DVDs here, or Thai DVDs on a UK player (except the copies - oddly enough the copies tend to be all zone).

Final one I know of, is that the DECT mobile phones appear to use a frequency used by a type of mobile phone sold in Thailand. (PCT ?). i.e. I've taken some here, but they didn't work for very long - alternatively that may be because of surges.

Other than those, everything I know of works here (although the electrical sockets are different, so you need an adaptor of some sort.) Even UK GSM phones, if unlocked, will work here with a Thai SIM card.

What I would suggest is pick up some surge suppressing power extensions which can take UK plugs. They're fairly cheap here, and are available at most computer/electronics shops. With power surges being a big problem for some equipment, it could save a lot of money if (when) you get some nearby lightning strikes.

When I brought my US items with me, I also brought top quality 220 to 110 step-down transformers with me.  They work, though some items like the cuisinart, run slower because in the US they use 60 cycle a/c. My cassette player works fine. My turntable was adjustable for different types, just as my computers are. Anything with an electric motor is likely to run slower and burn out, so you're generally better of buying one here if it's not compatible.

Is your TV, and DVD, multi-system compatible for the type of PAL they use here? It might be better to buy a TV and DVD player here if they are not. VCR's are tricky. They may be available in Bangkok, but not upcountry. You might want to buy a multi-system VCR before coming here, if you need one.

UK VCRs and Thai VCRs are the same type of PAL, so no issues there.
Do expect to be hit with customs charges on your old stuff. I guess it's an arbitrary, and corrupt system, so you might get by depending on your shipper's connections. 

On this one, I think it depends on whether your wife is living in the UK currently or not. If she is, then she's a returning resident, and would get into the country with household goods with no duty. (not new boxed items obviously)

I know I didn't have to pay anything.

In general, I recommend taking as little as possible. Just bring what you can't part with. I do wish I had brought my wooden LP boxes and folding book shelves, though!

Hope this helps.  :o

Yes - it's more important to take things like pictures / small items than big stuff.

Furniture is CHEAP here, as are CRT TVs. It's possibly cheaper to buy a TV here than to pay to ship one from the UK, and one bought here will pick up Thai TV correctly. (although Thai broadcasting leaves a lot to be desired. - Signals for the different stations are invariably broadcast from their own transmitters, so you end up with virtually a separate roof aerial for each channel).

In response to Wee Jimmy - you can get good tools here, occasionally, and generally only when paying roughly what they would cost in the UK. Admittedly, I'm not a big DIYer.

Edited by bkk_mike

bkk_mike:

I think, you are not completely right about you views on Tv and Video, but the issue is rather complex, so it is in no way easy to find out.

The basic receiver in the tv and in the video is the same, when we are talking about one standard, in this case the standard in UK, which is called PAL/I

After making a search on Internet it seems, that Thailand is using PAL/B.

This means, that tv and video from UK cannot be used in Thailand, mainly because the sound systems are not the same.

About surge suppressing power extensions, I think you have a good point here, could possibly save a lot of money buying one.

JohnC:

About importing your personal belongings: You may in some circumstances import you personal belongings without paying import charges, it depends on your personal situation, like: are you married, what kind of visa do you want to apply for ?

I am thinking of the same thing, I want to move to Thailand by the end of this year, and I think, I would like to bring a lot of my things.

I have a lot of good tools, which I would like to bring, and I think that buying good quality is expensive everywhere, and if I try to sell here in Denmark, where I live, I will not get much anyway selling second hand stuff, even it is as good as new.

So, think twice before letting all your belongings go.

North :o

Lots of good points here.

Yes, bring your good tools and other things of quality, especially if your visa allows you to bring things in and avoid customs. My returning Thai wife and I were luck that way, not sure of all the rules there.

If you can bring things, and shipping is affordable for you (we successfully used Rama from the States), consider bringing anything of sentimental value, good quality, etc., anything that can be used here that would cost more replace.

I brought several electric/electronic items (other than TV), like the cuisinart. It works okay, and buying a new one would cost more than it did in the US. I brought most of my good Hi-fi equipment, books, music. Buy the best quality step down transformers you can find (only cheap ones are available here as far as I know).

Some furiture here is cheap (maybe looks it), unless it is local Thai teak furniture, etc. In big cities like Bangkok of Chiang Mai, artful, designer stuff may be pricey. Even custom-made stuff (closeting, shelves) can take a bite your of your budget.

It cost a bit to have record boxes made here, and they aren't as good as the ones I left. My folding book cases would have been handy until we figure out what else we want to do. Same, I suppose with my CD shelves. I had custom ones made with glass doors to fit under a window. It was trickier to get replacement CD cases than I expected, or I would have brought mine along. I put the CD's in soft sleaves and packed them tightly for safe shipping, along with the artwork. Get good professional boxes for them and any old vinyl you want to bring. Pack tightly.

TV's are mult-system here, so you can bring your VCR (if it will run okay independent of cycle differences). My cassette player works fine.

When you get here, do get UPS's for your good stuff to protect them from power surges.

Many thanks

John

John - you might like to look through the thread at the following link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...1879&hl=customs

(and particularly the threads mentioned in Post #2 there)

I was under the impression that one had between 1 & 6 months after the O-A 1-year extension was issued during which to import household effects duty free. But I now see a note in red on the Thai Customs site which seems to say that all O category visa holders are not eligible for importing household effects duty free...............

I hope that the wonderful Lopburi3 or others can clarify this?

A mate of mine shipped a container of his houseold goods to Thailand Two years ago, He did not pay any duties on his furniture, but they stung him for his electrical goods, he paid 50,000 baht tax on his washing machine, it is cheaper to buy your electrical goods in Thailand, stereo system etc. I am shipping a container over next year, hopefully no duty to be paid as the goods will be in my wifes name and i will make sure she is there to receive the goods. ( no electrical items).

Thanks to everyone for their very helpful comments, I am quickly coming to the thought that there is not much point in bringing anything other than personal stuff like pics, cd s etc. I have loads of tools but as I am retiring why would I want them? Electrical equipment is all over three uears old and would cost more to ship and pay tax on than it is worth. The only thing I would have liked is my car, its a japeneese 4 x 4 and only 18 months old but again if its going to cost a fortune in tax I may as well sell it here and buy again!

Lots of good advice given here and gratefully received1 I am so happy I found this site! Will keeep in touch and if I fing anything out that is relevant I will post it here to hopefully help someone else!

Once again many thanks fellas!

John

Many thanks

John

I was under the impression that one had between 1 & 6 months after the O-A 1-year extension was issued during which to import household effects duty free. But I now see a note in red on the Thai Customs site which seems to say that all O category visa holders are not eligible for importing household effects duty free...............

Agree this new red ink sentence does sound omonous. We could read it as "O" visa is not an extension of stay but if have O-A or extension you could? But it may also mean only those with work permits/experts will have duty free import now. Believe anyone planning import without a work permit had best get clarification from custorms prior to any shipment. The fact they put it in red and changed the wording seems to be that they have decided not to allow duty free import.

Many thanks

John

Agree this new red ink sentence does sound omonous. We could read it as "O" visa is not an extension of stay but if have O-A or extension you could? But it may also mean only those with work permits/experts will have duty free import now. Believe anyone planning import without a work permit had best get clarification from custorms prior to any shipment. The fact they put it in red and changed the wording seems to be that they have decided not to allow duty free import.

I just tried to send a message to customs on this site:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Conta...nuNme=ContactUs

about the rules for importing used household effects.

But when I want to send the message, a window pops up telling something in thai language, and I am not allowed to send the message.

Is there another way to contact Customs in Thailand (by E-mail) about this very important issue ?

North :o

Edited by North

Well this is definately Thailand.

You are not permitted to contact the Thai customs service unless your email address is in a domain ending in -- .com, .edu, .net, .org, .gov, .th or .mil :o

How clever is that?? :D

How about using Hotmail.com ??

Edited by Crossy

You are not permitted to contact the Thai customs service unless your email address is in a domain ending in -- .com, .edu, .net, .org, .gov, .th or .mil    :o

How clever is that??  :D

Ok,

I guess I can make a mail address at Hotmail.com, then we will se, if they reply. :D

North :D

You are not permitted to contact the Thai customs service unless your email address is in a domain ending in -- .com, .edu, .net, .org, .gov, .th or .mil    :o

How clever is that??   :D

Ok,

I guess I can make a mail address at Hotmail.com, then we will se, if they reply. :D

North :D

I would definately NOT hold your breath.

Any answer you receive will be totally contradicted by the customs chap (lady) at the airport.

TiT

This means, that tv and video from UK cannot be used in Thailand, mainly because the sound systems are not the same.

I know video is fine.

At least VHS tapes recorded here work fine in the UK. (although considering they're usually of Thai soaps, I wish they didn't sometimes).