Sponsoring A Child

Soju

I'm interested in sponsoring a child in Thailand. Either a child living in a poor family or an orphan child. I'm interested in sponsoring them through their school years and through college. Any suggestions on how to go about finding a needy child to sponsor? I'm not at all interested in sponsoring a child through some charitable organization, as I don't trust any organization to spend my donations wisely. Absolutely no negotiation on that point - I will only give if I can give directly to the child I'm sponsoring. If I visited an orphanage, could they help me in locating a child in need of sponsorship? I read the "Thai Schooling Fees" thread, so I have a good idea of what it would cost to pay for their schooling. How much should I expect to pay in additional expenses? I'm expecting that the child would not be living in Bangkok or a big city, but probably more likely some village someplace. All suggestions and advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who has actually experience in sponsoring a child.

I'm interested in sponsoring a child in Thailand.  Either a child living in a poor family or an orphan child.  I'm interested in sponsoring them through their school years and through college.  Any suggestions on how to go about finding a needy child to sponsor?  I'm not at all interested in sponsoring a child through some charitable organization, as I don't trust any organization to spend my donations wisely.  Absolutely no negotiation on that point - I will only give if I can give directly to the child I'm sponsoring.  If I visited an orphanage, could they help me in locating a child in need of sponsorship?  I read the "Thai Schooling Fees" thread, so I have a good idea of what it would cost to pay for their schooling.  How much should I expect to pay in additional expenses?  I'm expecting that the child would not be living in Bangkok or a big city, but probably more likely some village someplace.  All suggestions and advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who has actually experience in sponsoring a child.

Probably the serius charitable org are much better than what you're proposing......

you look just a little bit naive

If you do like you think your money will end up in paying the whiskey for the father ......

There are plenty of very serius and reliable org and you should use one of them.

I've "adopted" a child ("distance adoption") in Cambodia through a charitable org in Italy 5 years ago, I send 321 Euros every year, now that I'm expat in Asia I would like to pay a visit (only 2 hrs flight) but I prefer not to.

I receive info every 6 months and photos, co-ponsor of this org (for free) are some of the best football players, singers, .... and they don't screw their public image without a very deep check on this org.

ONLY ONE THING: THIS HAS NOT TO BE AN EMOTIONAL DECISION, the 321 Euros (or whats so ever) are for at least 10-15 years, they do not need to receive money for 1-2 years, then you read on a magazine that another org made a fraud and you feel yourself justified to dump your duty.

It's something real and serius

I'm interested in sponsoring a child in Thailand.  Either a child living in a poor family or an orphan child.  I'm interested in sponsoring them through their school years and through college.  Any suggestions on how to go about finding a needy child to sponsor?  I'm not at all interested in sponsoring a child through some charitable organization, as I don't trust any organization to spend my donations wisely.  Absolutely no negotiation on that point - I will only give if I can give directly to the child I'm sponsoring.  If I visited an orphanage, could they help me in locating a child in need of sponsorship?  I read the "Thai Schooling Fees" thread, so I have a good idea of what it would cost to pay for their schooling.  How much should I expect to pay in additional expenses?  I'm expecting that the child would not be living in Bangkok or a big city, but probably more likely some village someplace.  All suggestions and advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who has actually experience in sponsoring a child.

I have sponsored many children here in Thailand. The best way to do it is to get a Thai girlfriend and take on the financial responsibility for her and her sibling’s children. That is the safest way to do it. These girls are usually country girls. I have spent a great deal of my savings and income on this type of project and have never regretted it.

I have for the past 6 years thru plan international who do seem to do a good job in the villages and schools. Also donated quite a bit of stuff to the local school, uniforms, books, desks and a printer that they needed.

I have visited the family three times but the last time was not very pleasant. It was almost like they did not want me being there, even though I always slipped the mum 3-4 k which you are not meant to do. When I left they could hardly be bothered to say goodbye, sometimes issan people just baffle me. Anyway, the kid has always been sullen, used to write quite often but that stopped. The kid will have left school in 18 months so I will stop doing it then. It's worth doing but don't expect any gratitiude from them. The bits and pieces I sent the kid like a watch seemed to all disappear. Maybe I just got a wierd family-peter

• 2 years later...

Soju,

What you have described is exactly what i want to do. I do not want to see my money used up on organisations "administration fees" etc, and very little of it goes to the children themselves. Unfortunately this is usually what happens with large organisations. One of the largest "non-profitable" sponsoring organisations was exposed in Australia a few years back as pocketing the sponsoring money.. and lets just say the founder of the non-profitable organisation was driving a brand new Rolls Royce.

Soju, your heart sounds like its in the right place.

Secondly, Duke69, give Soju a break... everyone has their own way of wanting to help someone less privileged. Just because its not the way you do it, does not mean they are naive. Soju's heart is in the right place, and wouldnt want to do this if she wasn't "real or serious".

Soju, if you find out how to sponsor a child in the way, please let me know.

Whilst in theory, a noble concept, in reality a complete rort.

The only problem I see with sponsoring children through organisations is that the cost of running the organisation consumes 90% of revenue received and the sponsored child is lucky to end up with 10% even from the respected organisations.

Dodgy organisations use these means to raise money for terrorism.

Soundman.

I'm not at all interested in sponsoring a child through some charitable organization, as I don't trust any organization to spend my donations wisely.

If you are not related to that child through marriage etc. i would advice not to find and sponsor a child without a reliable organization that can control the moneys and school attendance etc.

Also, and especially many poor families will not hesitate for one moment to take advantage of you and misappropriate the funds intended for education, and you will have no way to control, and might even get drawn into a very unhealthy and destructive relationship. Poor people may be poor, but that does not mean that they are stupid, especially not in the sense of street smarts. You are just another rich bloke, from their view.

I have sponsored a niece of my wife whom i have known since her birth. I moved her to Bangkok to attend a good school here as she is very intelligent. I tried to get her out of the very negative influence of her mother and grandmother. Unfortunately though she was under the influence of especially her grandmother, a scheming cow who has convinced her grand daughter that the best way to conduct herself was to lie to us, her teachers, and to try to fleece us for whatever she could, and do that as well by trying to create discord between my wife and me, which did not really work that well. After about 5 months, we had no other choice than sending her back home. Very sad, as she would have the brains to get a good education, but unfortunately her grandmother has different plans for her, plans she had with her daughter as well, but which did not work out as she thought.

Imagine you will get to such a family, and will not know the problem zones in that family. How could you possibly put pressure on, or, if this does not work, make some hard, though necessary decision?

There are amateurish organisations, downright criminal ones, and also very good, professional and responsible organisations. Try to find such a professional organization which has the professional knowledge, and is in direct contact with such families, and has enough control that these funds are not spent for anything than but the child's education, and that the child itself is going to school to get educated, and not to pass time until it is old enough to get into whatever it might get into.

I'm not at all interested in sponsoring a child through some charitable organization, as I don't trust any organization to spend my donations wisely.

If you are not related to that child through marriage etc. i would advice not to find and sponsor a child without a reliable organization that can control the moneys and school attendance etc.

Also, and especially many poor families will not hesitate for one moment to take advantage of you and misappropriate the funds intended for education, and you will have no way to control, and might even get drawn into a very unhealthy and destructive relationship. Poor people may be poor, but that does not mean that they are stupid, especially not in the sense of street smarts. You are just another rich bloke, from their view.

I have sponsored a niece of my wife whom i have known since her birth. I moved her to Bangkok to attend a good school here as she is very intelligent. I tried to get her out of the very negative influence of her mother and grandmother. Unfortunately though she was under the influence of especially her grandmother, a scheming cow who has convinced her grand daughter that the best way to conduct herself was to lie to us, her teachers, and to try to fleece us for whatever she could, and do that as well by trying to create discord between my wife and me, which did not really work that well. After about 5 months, we had no other choice than sending her back home. Very sad, as she would have the brains to get a good education, but unfortunately her grandmother has different plans for her, plans she had with her daughter as well, but which did not work out as she thought.

Imagine you will get to such a family, and will not know the problem zones in that family. How could you possibly put pressure on, or, if this does not work, make some hard, though necessary decision?

There are amateurish organisations, downright criminal ones, and also very good, professional and responsible organisations. Try to find such a professional organization which has the professional knowledge, and is in direct contact with such families, and has enough control that these funds are not spent for anything than but the child's education, and that the child itself is going to school to get educated, and not to pass time until it is old enough to get into whatever it might get into.

Very good post ColPyat.

About a girl next house to "mine" in Sa Kaew province that is in dire need for help. Her mother died, her father always at construction sites in Rayong, left with her alcoholic (and betel chewer) grandmother.

Don't know how to help her without wasting money on her gm alcoholic custodian. The gm even said - "take her with you, 50K baht". One can imagine what care the girl receives.

All I did is - when there, take her with my niece and get her school gear, pens and whatever she picks.

Once, I asked to take her with my family to Koh Chang, several kids and mothers involved. The gm declined.

But she never declines to send her for work. "Beibee work" and pay.

Just look at her hand. She was 8 years old. Her hand and mine:

post-7277-1189079275_thumb.jpg

Edited by think_too_mut

Very Sad.

That is where good organisations can do things. In my neighborhood here in Bangkok there is a woman selling flowers who refuses to sent her two daughters to school. One of the neighbors called Pavena's foundation, and they picked up the eldest daughter and housed and educated her. Now after three years or so she is happy in school. I guess very soon they will also come for her younger daughter.

Father Joe's foundation in Klong Toey does often very similar things - when they get to know of such catastrophic situations they will take the children away from their parents. They have such good reputations in the communities they work in that they can do this without retribution.

If one is not part of such a network with such an organization there is very little one can do if it comes to a conflict. Helping is not an easy game where the noble poor will be glad and grateful for one's support.

One of the neighbors called Pavena's foundation, and they picked up the eldest daughter and housed and educated her. Now after three years or so she is happy in school. I guess very soon they will also come for her younger daughter.

I went to the Pavena headquarters, back in 2002.

Their representative who met me was full of sales pitch - what they do, how good they are.

She did not speak much of English, if I remember well, the attendance of the free training and care they provide was about 10%.

Free, come and go, that's what most of their adult patrons do. Possibly, drug rehabilitation progress reports or something like that.

For a troubled person, under court's monitoring, just a good opportunity to show something is being worked on.

Plain abuse of the service, I think.

One of the neighbors called Pavena's foundation, and they picked up the eldest daughter and housed and educated her. Now after three years or so she is happy in school. I guess very soon they will also come for her younger daughter.

I went to the Pavena headquarters, back in 2002.

Their representative who met me was full of sales pitch - what they do, how good they are.

She did not speak much of English, if I remember well, the attendance of the free training and care they provide was about 10%.

Free, come and go, that's what most of their adult patrons do. Possibly, drug rehabilitation progress reports or something like that.

For a troubled person, under court's monitoring, just a good opportunity to show something is being worked on.

Plain abuse of the service, I think.

Never really had anything personally to do with Paveena's foundation. I'll remember your view on things in case i might have some contact with them one day. Always good to be careful with those organisations, and get second and third opinions. Things aren't often as they appear, and careful promotion makes them appear.

I don’t doubt your word that the poor girl works hard as I can see what looks like cuts on her hand. When I looked at the photo it looked the same as my wife’s hand. She has the same pattern on her hands and feet and she says they’ve looked like that since she was born. She’s an office worker so the hardest thing she’s lifted is a pen or her mobile.

Back on topic, I can’t offer a good suggestion on how to sponsor but am very wary of charitable organizations including the big well known ones. I’ve seen too many investigative programs over the years proving just how much goes in administration fees and the small amounts that actually reach the needy.

Never really had anything personally to do with Paveena's foundation. I'll remember your view on things in case i might have some contact with them one day. Always good to be careful with those organisations, and get second and third opinions. Things aren't often as they appear, and careful promotion makes them appear.

Can't trust them at all. My parents sponsored an orphan in Africa in the mid 80's. Reputable organisation according to the newspapers, TV advertising, recomended by friends.

Parents received quarterly reports on the kids status, school cards, photos etc.

This went on for about two years. One night my parents were attending a party & noticed their friends had sponsored a kid in Africa as well. Same kid, picture & reports.

After some inquiry it was found out the organisation in question was a total scam.

Soundman.

Can't trust them at all. My parents sponsored an orphan in Africa in the mid 80's. Reputable organisation according to the newspapers, TV advertising, recomended by friends.

That is why it is important to have a personal look, and seek second and third information by people who have direct knowledge.

Anyhow - i personally believe that it is always better to support a cause that is somewhat local, where a closer look is easier. There are needy causes everywhere, also in developed countries there are hidden corners of poverty and injustice, and it is much easier to directly help.

I've been sponsoring kids through World Vision (Australia) for quite some time.

I do it for purely selfish reasons, which do not (and will never) include wanting any personal involvement.

Each of us should do what we can, as we can.

World Vision does some good work, no doubt, but many people might choose not to support them, since they area Christian organization.

Same for Habitat for Humanity.

I don’t doubt your word that the poor girl works hard as I can see what looks like cuts on her hand. When I looked at the photo it looked the same as my wife’s hand. She has the same pattern on her hands and feet and she says they’ve looked like that since she was born. She’s an office worker so the hardest thing she’s lifted is a pen or her mobile.

Hmm...could be. The girl has her feet like that too.

Her feet, up to her ankles have what are or look like cuts where a streak of blood could be seen, like a wound that has not fully healed.

Probably the serius charitable org are much better than what you're proposing......

you look just a little bit naive

If you do like you think your money will end up in paying the whiskey for the father ......

There are plenty of very serius and reliable org and you should use one of them.

I've "adopted" a child ("distance adoption") in Cambodia through a charitable org in Italy 5 years ago, I send 321 Euros every year, now that I'm expat in Asia I would like to pay a visit (only 2 hrs flight) but I prefer not to.

I receive info every 6 months and photos, co-ponsor of this org (for free) are some of the best football players, singers, .... and they don't screw their public image without a very deep check on this org.

ONLY ONE THING: THIS HAS NOT TO BE AN EMOTIONAL DECISION, the 321 Euros (or whats so ever) are for at least 10-15 years, they do not need to receive money for 1-2 years, then you read on a magazine that another org made a fraud and you feel yourself justified to dump your duty.

It's something real and serius

I much respect the OP's motives in sponsoring a child but I tend to agree that it would be extremely difficult to arrange an informal sponsorship without the high risk of the money going astray.

I believe the major charities who do child sponsorship do good work, but there are other agencies who are highly sceptical of the whole concept of child sponsorship. It's very appealing as a fund raising device because of its personal nature, but it's expensive and inefficient and I share the doubts about these schemes. There are suggestions for example that to save the huge cost of reporting, pictures of the same child are sent to numerous donors. The WWF even had an 'Adopt a Whale' programme and really it's just a sham and a way of appealing to the emotions.

I wouldn't say to anyone that their sposorship of a child is not worthwhile but I think there are better ways of helping. If you look at a parallel thread on this forum, "Are Isaan Farmers Poor?", you'll see references to the "Adopt a Village School" project that I am involved in. (Information on it can be obtained in the usual way!)

In the school in our rice village in Surin province, many of the children are underweight and cannot afford uniforms and books. We are fundraising to supply these needs, not just once but in the long term. I do the admin. at this end out of my own pocket so there are no expenses and every single cent donated is used to help the kids.

You can look at pictures of the school and the children and the things you buy for them on the web and while this may not be quite as emotionally satisfying for you, I think it is an efficient way to help a school, all of whose children come from poor families.

It's worth a thought.

As long as I've been 'tied' (or thaied) to our village, I tried to spend more in the local markets & shops over going to Chaiyaphum & using Tesco(or their predecessor). Big ticket items have been bought in town, but only in 'mum & dad' businesses. Keeping the money local is a good way of helping the locals, I think.

When there, I'm always available to assist teachers or students. We generally ask at the school if there are any students that would benefit more than the others from some funding - then we'll pay for stationery/books/uniforms...

I'm interested in sponsoring a child in Thailand. Either a child living in a poor family or an orphan child. I'm interested in sponsoring them through their school years and through college. Any suggestions on how to go about finding a needy child to sponsor? I'm not at all interested in sponsoring a child through some charitable organization, as I don't trust any organization to spend my donations wisely. Absolutely no negotiation on that point - I will only give if I can give directly to the child I'm sponsoring. If I visited an orphanage, could they help me in locating a child in need of sponsorship? I read the "Thai Schooling Fees" thread, so I have a good idea of what it would cost to pay for their schooling. How much should I expect to pay in additional expenses? I'm expecting that the child would not be living in Bangkok or a big city, but probably more likely some village someplace. All suggestions and advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who has actually experience in sponsoring a child.

PM me, Jayjay