Satellite Tv

zoolander

I think you will find that JSAT doesn't supply pirate products, though they will act as a 'middle man' to help you get official cards like Astro and Telkomvision (which may be a grey area given geographical licensing).

Regarding free-to-air broadcasts on a big dish, you will get BBC World (news) but not CNN. There are also other FTA news channels such as France 24 and Russia Today. Generally not as much is available FTA in English as in Europe, although there are now a lot of free Thai language channels on the C band side of the Thaicom satellites. If you want some Thai programming for a partner, there is also the 32 channel freeview package from Truevision in K-band (small dish) on the same satellite. You just buy the freeview card as a one-off purchase (about 900 baht). I think the free Thai C-band channels are better though.

If you want football or Western movies, you will have to make other arrangements, possibly of the kind the earlier poster mentioned. A supplier like Eldsat or www.9sat.com will advise you on this. Actually the options are diminishing. Two of the packages previously viewed with official cards or dubious means - Dream and MultiChoice Africa - are just moving to satellites that cannot be received in Thailand. Some people in Thailand seem to like arrangements involving a Dreambox receiver and internet access, but I have no experience of this.

think you will find that JSAT doesn't supply pirate products, though they will act as a 'middle man' to help you get official cards like Astro and Telkomvision (which may be a grey area given geographical licensing

Tell this to TV on the CM form. :)

"Regarding free-to-air broadcasts on a big dish, you will get BBC World (news)". Thanks..............can you tell me which satellite i can view this on

Intelsat 5 (169E) or Intelsat 5 (166E). Both satellites have Australian TV available as well. They are low in the sky, so that you don't want trees etc in the line of sight. I used to get BBC World on 68.5E but only WS radio is available on that satellite now.

There may be one or two other possibilities (BBC World India?). Why don't you have a browse at this link?

http://www.lyngsat.com/asia.html

many thanks..............thats just what im looking for...............i live in amantcharoen...............do i just go to the nearest satellite shop and ask them to install a Intelsat 5 (169E) or Intelsat 5 (166E)

You have a choice between (a) a fixed dish system which just receives one satellite or (b ) a motorized dish system (sometimes described in Thai adverts as 'move' system) which can receive most satellites in the arc. You'll need a big C band dish, say 8 feet, if you want to maximise what you can receive. Probably a C band LNB (the electronic unit on the dish that processes the signal) is okay, though if you want the 'works' you can get a combined C and KU LNB . The latter also receives the KU band used by Truevision and some other Asian pay TV providers. In a motorised system you just select the channel and the receiver/ positioner will take care of moving the dish automatically.

Installers in Isaan are not in my experience very clued up, but should be okay for a free-to-air system. Be aware that prices quoted vary quite a bit, with some charging well over the recommended prices (i.e. way over the usual PSI, Dynasat or Infosat list prices).

Perhaps you should look at some adverts on the websites in the links above to get an idea of prices. One dilemma is whether to allow for future flexibility, should your interest in this hobby develop. If I was buying now (and wanted to get options but still keep things cheap) I would get an 8 foot moveable dish, with 24 inch motor arm (actuator), a V box dish positioner (either mark 2 or 3), and a Dreambox 500S receiver. Probably the dealer will try to sell you a simpler receiver, but the price won't be much lower. If you want the Australian channel, you can apply to the broadcaster and they will send you a free Irdeto 2 smart card for the rugby (just a few things like big games are encrypted). For this reason you may want a receiver with a smartcard reader that will handle Irdeto 2 (same type as True Freeview as well) - the D500S will. The 24 inch actuator will get you more of a spread of satellites around the arc than an 18 inch actuator (I'm just about to swap over). If you are worried about setting up the D500s firmware, the dealer will do it at a price. The more distant future is probably high definition at significantly higher prices (see the Dreambox HD boxes) but there isn't too much of that in Thailand yet.

Edited by citizen33

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks Citizen 33. I visited my local dealer and now have a fixed dish which receives Intelsat 8. This gives me BBC World News, Australia TV and Japanese news without any payment . Just what i wanted. Cost 6000 baht.<snip>

Edited by toptuan
Edited by request of poster