Mic Not Working

tjansen

Hello,

I have a Compaq Desktop computer. I have an external headset that was working when I first installed Skype. Then the microphone quit. I don;t know of anything in particular that happened. There is nothing muted. I have followed all of the trouble shooting guides I could find. I put the mic volume control in manual and moved it up. I tried a different (known-to-be-good) headset and it doesn't work either. I have rebotted the computer with no luck. The earphones do work.

Any help?

Thanks,

Tom

It's very well possible the actual microphone stopped working.

Try using a headset with a built in microphone (has the second, pink colored plug).

If that one works it's a problem with the built in mic...

It's very well possible the actual microphone stopped working.

Try using a headset with a built in microphone (has the second, pink colored plug).

If that one works it's a problem with the built in mic...

Hello Monty,

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I have two identical headsets, both with microphone and earphones. Both of them work (mic and headphones) on a different computer. Neither of the microphones works on the Compaq. (Headphones do work.) The microphone is built in (pink plug) as you mention.

I hope you can help.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by tjansen

Which operating system?

That would help in giving you step by step instructions to check the recording device status.

If you know your way around the control panel and devices, please check the recording device status (not volume control). You might have inadvertently disabled it.

Which operating system?

That would help in giving you step by step instructions to check the recording device status.

If you know your way around the control panel and devices, please check the recording device status (not volume control). You might have inadvertently disabled it.

Yeah, it would help know which operating system and sound card. Usually on desktop computers, the problem has to do with the 'Microphone Boost' setting. For some reason, laptops usually don't have the problem. On Windows XP it can be accessed through one of the volume controls Advanced settings button under the microphone slider. On Windows 7, it can be accessed through the driver software or Volume Settings. I assume Vista would be the same. Sometimes updating/changing the driver can change it.

It's also possible the microphone source device was changed in Skype. Especially, if a 'Skype Phone' was used. Check Tools->Options->Audio Settings in Skype.

In one case a friend of mine was attacked by malware and it quit working. He reinstalled Windows XP and we couldn't resolve it. A few days later, the computer went up in smoke, so we never knew what the problem was.

The computer is a Compaq desktop.

It has Windows XP SP3

Today I went to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Audio, Realtek HD. The Troubleshooter said everything is working. The troubleshooter took me back to the same display as when I went to Control Panel, Sounds, etc.

There are no mute boxes checked, no volume bars turned down low. I tried the mic on the recording device that comes with (I believe) Windows, and it did not work there either.

I believe that this one will have to go the shop unless someone happens to come up with something else to check.

It has Windows XP SP3

Today I went to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Audio, Realtek HD.  The Troubleshooter said everything is working.  The troubleshooter took me back to the same display as when I went to Control Panel, Sounds, etc.

Wonderful! Glad you mentioned the operating system and audio device. On Windows XP the audio device driver settings are not in Device Manager. So that is your first problem.

The setup is slightly different, depending on the audio device driver software, but the idea is the same. The location of the 'Mic Boost' control varies and there are some audio devices that don't have it. I have Windows XP sp3 with the Realtek HD audio device. So you can follow these instructions exactly (the guide on the Skype website is for another common device driver). All the Realtek HD Device Drivers use the same setup method.

1. Open the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' window. Start->Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices

2 Under the 'Audio' tab. Make sure the 'Default device' in the 'Sound playback' and 'Sound recording' sections are respectively set to 'Realtek HD Audio Output' and 'Realtek HD Audio Input' devices. Modify them if they are not.If changes are made, be sure to click 'Apply'.

3. Click the 'Advanced' button in the 'Sound playback' section. The 'Advanced Audio Properties' window will open. Select the type of speakers/headphones under the speakers tab. Click the 'Restore Defaults button under the performance tab. Click 'OK' to close the 'Advance Audio Properties' window.

4. In the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' window click the 'Volume' button in the 'Sound playback' section. The 'Master Volume' control window will open.

5. In the 'Master Volume' control window there should be a set of controls for 'Mic Volume'. If not click Options->Properties. A Properties window will open. Under 'Show the following volume controls', Tick the 'Mic Volume' check box. Click 'OK' to close the properties window.

6. In the 'Master Volume' control window, under the 'Mic Volume' control, there should be an 'Advanced' button. If not, click options and check the 'Advance Controls' option. The button should appear.

7. In the 'Master Volume' control window, under the 'Mic Volume' control, click the 'Advanced' button. An 'Advanced Controls for Mic Volume' window will open. Under other controls tick the '1 Microphone Boost' option. Close the 'Advanced Controls for Mic Volume' window by clicking 'Close'.

8. In the 'Master Volume' control window, under the 'Mic Volume' control, move the slider up to the max. Also check the 'Mute' check box. Failure to do this will cause an echo to be heard on the receiving end of a Skype call when using speakers instead of headsets. Close the 'Master Volume' control window.

9. In the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' window click the 'Volume' button in the 'Sound recording' section. A 'Recording control' window will open.

10. In the 'Recording Control' window, there should be a control for 'Mic Volume'. If not click Options->Properties. A Properties window will open. Under 'Show the following volume controls', Tick the 'Mic Volume' check box. Click 'OK' to close the properties window.

11. In the 'Recording Control' window, the control for 'Mic Volume' move the volume slider up to the max. Also check the 'Select' check box. Click 'OK' to close the 'Recording Control' window.

12.In the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' window click the 'Apply' button if it is not grayed out. Click 'OK' to close the Window.

13. On the back of the computer (not the front) connect your headphones to the audio jacks. Sometimes the jacks on the front of the computer are not connected internally. The pink plug from the headphone is the microphone plug, so you connect the pink plug to the pink jack. Sometimes the orange jack will look pink. So make sure you plug the microphone into the correct jack. The light green jack is for speakers or headphones.It depends on the settings you made earlier as to the type of speaker/headphones. If you want to use speakers connect the speakers to the green jack. If you want to use headphones connect the green plug on the headphones to the green jack.

14. Open Skype and select Tools->Options...->Audio Settings.

15. In the 'Microphone' section make sure the microphone is set to 'Realtek HD Audio Input'. Change if necessary. Check the 'Automatically adjust microphone settings' check box. Speak into the microphone, the green 'VU' meter should move as you speak.If it moves, you microphone is now working.

16,In the 'Speakers' section make sure the speakers are set to 'Realtek HD Audio Output', Change if necessary. Adjust the volume slider to an appropriate volume level when you click on the green play button.

17. You are now ready to make a test call. Click on the 'Make a free test call' link. A call will be made to the Skype echo service. Follow the instructions given by the English woman. If you hear your own voice then your audio is configured correctly. Terminate the call. Click 'Save' to save and close the Skype options window.

If you have a problem,recheck your audio settings. I noticed today, that something had changed my audio settings, so the same may have happened to you. I haven't used Skype for a while because my speakers are in the shop being repaired. I don't like headphones!

Good luck!

It has Windows XP SP3

Today I went to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Audio, Realtek HD. The Troubleshooter said everything is working. The troubleshooter took me back to the same display as when I went to Control Panel, Sounds, etc.

Wonderful! Glad you mentioned the operating system and audio device. On Windows XP the audio device driver settings are not in Device Manager. So that is your first problem.

The setup is slightly different, depending on the audio device driver software, but the idea is the same. The location of the 'Mic Boost' control varies and there are some audio devices that don't have it. I have Windows XP sp3 with the Realtek HD audio device. So you can follow these instructions exactly (the guide on the Skype website is for another common device driver). All the Realtek HD Device Drivers use the same setup method.

1. Open the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' window. Start->Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices

2 Under the 'Audio' tab. Make sure the 'Default device' in the 'Sound playback' and 'Sound recording' sections are respectively set to 'Realtek HD Audio Output' and 'Realtek HD Audio Input' devices. Modify them if they are not.If changes are made, be sure to click 'Apply'.

3. Click the 'Advanced' button in the 'Sound playback' section. The 'Advanced Audio Properties' window will open. Select the type of speakers/headphones under the speakers tab. Click the 'Restore Defaults button under the performance tab. Click 'OK' to close the 'Advance Audio Properties' window.

4. In the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' window click the 'Volume' button in the 'Sound playback' section. The 'Master Volume' control window will open.

5. In the 'Master Volume' control window there should be a set of controls for 'Mic Volume'. If not click Options->Properties. A Properties window will open. Under 'Show the following volume controls', Tick the 'Mic Volume' check box. Click 'OK' to close the properties window.

6. In the 'Master Volume' control window, under the 'Mic Volume' control, there should be an 'Advanced' button. If not, click options and check the 'Advance Controls' option. The button should appear.

7. In the 'Master Volume' control window, under the 'Mic Volume' control, click the 'Advanced' button. An 'Advanced Controls for Mic Volume' window will open. Under other controls tick the '1 Microphone Boost' option. Close the 'Advanced Controls for Mic Volume' window by clicking 'Close'.

8. In the 'Master Volume' control window, under the 'Mic Volume' control, move the slider up to the max. Also check the 'Mute' check box. Failure to do this will cause an echo to be heard on the receiving end of a Skype call when using speakers instead of headsets. Close the 'Master Volume' control window.

9. In the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' window click the 'Volume' button in the 'Sound recording' section. A 'Recording control' window will open.

10. In the 'Recording Control' window, there should be a control for 'Mic Volume'. If not click Options->Properties. A Properties window will open. Under 'Show the following volume controls', Tick the 'Mic Volume' check box. Click 'OK' to close the properties window.

11. In the 'Recording Control' window, the control for 'Mic Volume' move the volume slider up to the max. Also check the 'Select' check box. Click 'OK' to close the 'Recording Control' window.

12.In the 'Sounds and Audio Device Properties' window click the 'Apply' button if it is not grayed out. Click 'OK' to close the Window.

13. On the back of the computer (not the front) connect your headphones to the audio jacks. Sometimes the jacks on the front of the computer are not connected internally. The pink plug from the headphone is the microphone plug, so you connect the pink plug to the pink jack. Sometimes the orange jack will look pink. So make sure you plug the microphone into the correct jack. The light green jack is for speakers or headphones.It depends on the settings you made earlier as to the type of speaker/headphones. If you want to use speakers connect the speakers to the green jack. If you want to use headphones connect the green plug on the headphones to the green jack.

14. Open Skype and select Tools->Options...->Audio Settings.

15. In the 'Microphone' section make sure the microphone is set to 'Realtek HD Audio Input'. Change if necessary. Check the 'Automatically adjust microphone settings' check box. Speak into the microphone, the green 'VU' meter should move as you speak.If it moves, you microphone is now working.

16,In the 'Speakers' section make sure the speakers are set to 'Realtek HD Audio Output', Change if necessary. Adjust the volume slider to an appropriate volume level when you click on the green play button.

17. You are now ready to make a test call. Click on the 'Make a free test call' link. A call will be made to the Skype echo service. Follow the instructions given by the English woman. If you hear your own voice then your audio is configured correctly. Terminate the call. Click 'Save' to save and close the Skype options window.

If you have a problem,recheck your audio settings. I noticed today, that something had changed my audio settings, so the same may have happened to you. I haven't used Skype for a while because my speakers are in the shop being repaired. I don't like headphones!

Good luck!

These are my kind of instructions. Thanks a lot. I would say if the repair is doable, this should do it. I am not at that computer right now, but should be later today or tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. The person I was trying to help with their mic problem had a technician come just around the time I got those last detailed instructions, so unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try them. I have saved them for future reference because this has happened a few times to people I know, and we haven't been able to figure it out. I think what you described will work.

Thanks again, Tom

• 1 month later...

Longball,

So sorry for my lack of follow-up to let you know what happened. And the main reason I revisited the thread is that the problem recurred, but I had not seen the computer in the interim. This time the technician was not called, so I got to see firsthand. My finding, thanks to the advice on this thread, was that the mic jack on the front of the computer doesn't work, while the one on the back of the computer does. The speaker jacks on both front and back work. I would never have guessed that one, and I am still puzzled why a computer would be built that way. My speculation is that the technician did the same fix, switched jacks, and then later the user switched back, maybe with a new headset or something. I didn't have the opportunity to talk to the actual user, so I am speculating. In hopes of preventing this in the future, I put a little note on the front that the rear jacks have to be used.

Thanks Bebe and Innerspace for the suggestion to change to the second set of jacks. By the way, I went through several of the steps suggested by Bebe, but found no obvious problems.

If I hear of anyone having this problem, I will tell them to try switching jacks first.

Thanks again to all for a great information and solution source.

Tom