Cost Of Living In Thailand Per Month

Griizley

Many people mention electric is 1,500 Baht per month. Well, I pay 15,000 Baht per month.

Heavens above!! I used to run a 10-room hotel with 10 medium-size air-con units, which the hotel guests would usually leave on all day/night at the lowest temperature. Add in 10 fridges, TVs, 4 commercial kitchen fridges etc etc, and I paid about 11,000 baht per month.

I suspect that some posters are paying the electricity bill for their neighbours as well :)

Simon

Even under a three phase meter?

One's results may vary (energy efficiency in different homes/offices will most certainly vary... some folks will have window and door cracks for air con loss, plenty of folks choose to have air con vent fans), we're currently running around 5,500 Baht a month in the main house, slightly higher three phase rate. A dozen air cons, but the important thing is only 3 running nearly all the time. 2 computers and 2 fridges and garage type stand alone freezer running all the time. Probably best to calculate/count items that are actually running all the time.

:)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends how you want to live. You want to live farang style and eat farang food, it is going to be expensive.

I eat Thai food. I eat from the street, the food courts, school canteen, etc. Many days I never spend more than 100B. My rent is 3000baht for a 50 square meter apartment. It includes tv and internet. My utilities have never run more than 400 baht a month. I do not use the air conditioner though. I use a fan and it is just fine. I spend about 600 baht on gasoline for my motorcycle a month unless I take a trip out of town. My insurance is from my job. I have yet to spend more than 27000 baht in a month here. I live just fine and am not skimping. I easy put money away every month for trips and such. My work pays for the visas and work permits. I do not drink or buy girls, so I do not have that expense. I do eat out at restaurants with my girlfriend quite often But it is at Thai restaurants and seldom is more than 350 baht for the both of us. You can live a full and confortable life here if you live on the Thai economy and don't try to live like you are in America or England.

T

Working the 300 backward: If you eat in the markets only there is about US125-150. Add another 50 for food you keep in your room, maybe ice as well. Utilities about 25. Then you have the mobile/Internet. You might need transport (moto/songtaew) around city if you are going to places you can't show up sweaty. That is all roughly US200.

So 3200 or less for everything else and for a noob? Not likely.

Alcohol is as expensive as the US when purchased from the store. You only see "value" when consumed in f/b environment. For me, there goes the balance! :-)

A lot depends on how you live and where you live, your life style.

My house is paid for , I spent 2000- 3000 baht on electricity per month, large house (one room with A/C used daily) 2 fridges, 2 T.Vs , 2 computers, much Electric usage.

I pay about 400 baht per month on water, have large garden.

Pay 1,600 for month for satellite T.V..

Pay 600 Baht per month for Internet.

20 baht per month for garbage pick-up.

Spent about 7000+/- per month on utilities.

grow a lot of my own food ,make my own tortillas, bread, sausage, bacon,pickles etc

Family eats a lot of Thai food, and I also eat a lot of Mexican / Falang food, Rarely eat out, Mostly Thai street food, Rarely Falang restaurants ( Bad food- High price)

I live in a little Thai Rice growing village and love it, only resident falang in my village.

Depends on you and your personal living needs, I live a great,quiet life here in the LOS.

Cheers:biggrin.gif

It all depends how you want to live. You want to live farang style and eat farang food, it is going to be expensive.

I eat Thai food. I eat from the street, the food courts, school canteen, etc. Many days I never spend more than 100B. My rent is 3000baht for a 50 square meter apartment. It includes tv and internet. My utilities have never run more than 400 baht a month. I do not use the air conditioner though. I use a fan and it is just fine. I spend about 600 baht on gasoline for my motorcycle a month unless I take a trip out of town. My insurance is from my job. I have yet to spend more than 27000 baht in a month here. I live just fine and am not skimping. I easy put money away every month for trips and such. My work pays for the visas and work permits. I do not drink or buy girls, so I do not have that expense. I do eat out at restaurants with my girlfriend quite often But it is at Thai restaurants and seldom is more than 350 baht for the both of us. You can live a full and confortable life here if you live on the Thai economy and don't try to live like you are in America or England.

T

Does the girlfriend ever complain about being too tight with money ?