Thai Dictionary For Iphone?

HalfSquat

I've just downloaded the English - Thai talking dictionary from Lingvo for the Ipod/Iphone and it cost about 250 b.

Unfortunately I am after something where you can type in the word in English then see the translittaration of that word in Thai and hear it being spoken in Thai.

This app only displays the word in Thai script and plays the word in English.

Can anyone recommend something that does what I want?

Don't want to keep buying them until I find one (if there is one).

Thanks.

At present, there are about 16 Thai-English dictionaries for the iPhone.

I'm presently writing a review for iPhone Thai dictionaries so I did a quick check.

Out of the 16, only one has sound for Thai words: ClickThai Mobile

Chris Pirazzi and Benjawan Becker are in the process of coding their new software dictionary for iPhone (Thai-English English-Thai Talking Dictionary)

It too has sound files for all Thai words, whereas ClickThai does not. ClickThai does have a fair amount though.

That ClickThai one looks good but is pretty expensive - 1200 baht.

From your research which one would you say is the best one apart from the ClickThai one that has phonetic and Thai script translation of English words?

Thanks!

Please note that I have not completed the writeup so I still might find more in the instructions.

With phonetics: English-Thai Dictionary by Aanthai

The rest only have Thai Script and English (from what I can tell).

There are also translators. Some need to be connected to the internet. And a lot only have English and Thai script (and I haven't even started checking into those).

You are correct, the Thai script is small (too small for me to use in bad light). But it's the only one with transliteration as well.

Another thing I noticed is that the app does not turn sideways. It's a trick I use to enlarge small Thai text.

And you cannot zoom into the app. Eventually the iPhone will have the ability to zoom into any app but it's been on the cards for over a year. Pity.

ClickThai has large Thai script and smaller transliteration, but it's not problem free. When you do a search, you get a long list of possibilities and you need to click on each one separately. For instance, to try it out I searched for me and 17 options came back. All with 'me pron' and not much else to go on. Each has its own page. Help gave me an even longer list to select from.

So right now, there is no perfect iPhone dictionary app for those needing transliteration/transcription.

En-Th by PPCLINK is pretty good if you don't need the transliteration. Dr Wit goes to the other extreme and only has the target word in English (the rest is in Thai).

The Kerneran EETH Dictionary is looking good. It is one of the rare dictionaries where you can zoom into the Thai script (and the script is not impossible to begin with - small, but not tiny). But it's for the Thai market learning English as the sentence samples show the English usage of the word in question.

EnThai by AtiSoft LLC is quite nice. It zooms. It has a scrolling index. And really fun, it gives the pronuncian for the English word in Thai script. Which is fabulous when you think about it as it's a great way to figure out how to spell in Thai (that's if they are consistently correct). Abduct is แอบดัคทฺ่

I've been using The Thai Translator which costs about B300. It has transliteration, Thai script and audio of Thai & English although not for everything. It has a really annoying registration screen that doesn't work but the developer is working to fix it.

I recently bought the Thai-English English-Thai Talking Dictionary by Benjawan Poomsan Becker and Chris Pirazzi (mentioned in a previous post) which is a pc application and is excellent so I'm looking forward to the iPhone version when it comes out.

Ah. I forgot about the Thai Translator (I am overloaded with apps so it loaded off screen). There are a number of missing sound files. But on a positive note, it does load fast once in. Will he be adding the rest later?

Well, it might be off topic, but I want to post this in search for eventual help by the readers.

My Thai girlfriend and me are looking for a computer or talking dictionary based Thai-English-Thai dictionary, that is supporting a Thai native speaker in learning english. What is essential for my girlfriend, is, that she is able to read the pronounciation of the english word IN THAI phonetics ! There is a book on the market which we have and get along pretty well , as it gives her the Thai word in Thai, then the english word in roman letters, and then - AND THIS IS IMPORTANT ! - the phonetics of the english word in thai letters !!!

I have crammed about the internet for days, if not weeks, in order to find something alike made for the computer. however, cannot find anything. All the Thai-English dictionaries to be found are constructed for the use by English native speakers . . . .

I would be happy for any hint that leads me to a dictionary made purposedly for HER !

• 2 weeks later...

For my iPhone, I use the free 'ThaiDict' (by True Move) dictionary download, which says that it is 'created by the adaptation of Lexitron, developed by Nectec'

This dictionary has no transliteration - you need to be able to read Thai. However, I can say that it is easily the best dictionary that I have found for a mobile device. My partner paid 8,000 baht for a 'talking dic' and the dictionary is useless - she has to continually use my iPhone dictionary.

Simon