rixalex

• 2 weeks later...

it has nothing to do with a member's star rating. The stars in the profile are not connected to content rating

What are these 'stars' connected with?

Stars are what other users have rated you at, when visited your profile. 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the best.

Reputation is soly based on 'plusses' on your posts.

I would however have liked a 'self-search'-ability for the reputation, so one can see what topic/posts that gained oneself the reputation-plusses...perhaps one learns to write more of the better kind of posts in the future. ;)

• Like 1

I also don't see value in the system unless TV wants to establish a star chamber of unbiased luminaries to award the rep points.

In my limited involvement with other fora that have this system, it seems rife for abuse by trollers and those with petty-minded grudges.

In the Thaivisa version it seems you can only get marked upwards, so i guess that can't happen (?) but then that means you could do a couple of good posts and then a load of old tosh till the end of time - so not sure about the value of this feature.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

I also don't see value in the system unless TV wants to establish a star chamber of unbiased luminaries to award the rep points.

In my limited involvement with other fora that have this system, it seems rife for abuse by trollers and those with petty-minded grudges.

In the Thaivisa version it seems you can only get marked upwards, so i guess that can't happen (?) but then that means you could do a couple of good posts and then a load of old tosh till the end of time - so not sure about the value of this feature.

yes... it all appears to be just a little bit "anal"... "Stars" "Ratings", "Sin bins", "Warning levels".."deletions/closures often apparently based on pettiness,personal whim/opinions"....what next "carding" "no one finger left handed typing" " no chewing" " "font limits" "senior masters' detention", go stand in the corner...sigh!... :passifier:

Yes I know... I can leave anytime....but it IS such fun to read the agony aunt posts, the bating and whingeing and the "know all" posts....very entertaining.....

it is another kind of the 'old' star rating. Did you award a star because of a members nice Avatar or he was your friend even if he didn't post anything?

Or do you vote + if you like the content of the post? That you can do with the 'reputation'. Once you like the content you can't change your decision.

The star rating was often misused in the past as a 'revenge tool' because members could downgrade star ratings - 'today I like this member, tomorrow I don't...'

It has been replaced by content rating - 'reputation'. I think that's fair enough.

//added: keep in mind even a "reputation" high as 1000 will not save you from a suspension or a ban if you breach the rules....

Edited by webfact

I would only allow this 'reputation' thing if nobody can reduce the reputation. In other words, the reputation only goes up, not down.

Rep points and rep comments [pity they didn't go with that option] are a bit of fun. Some people take them WAY too seriously, like me. But if not taken seriously, what's the point? They just turn into childish silliness. They must be regulated with a cool head and a firm hand.

reputationdefender.png

Having said that, I want no part of this positivity hippie nonsense. Facebook "likes" but no "dislikes"? Positives but no negatives? All pluses but no minuses possible? 95% of posts are minus-worthy!!

Bah, god dam_n hippies...

I would only allow this 'reputation' thing if nobody can reduce the reputation. In other words, the reputation only goes up, not down.

Rep points and rep comments [pity they didn't go with that option] are a bit of fun. Some people take them WAY too seriously, like me. But if not taken seriously, what's the point? They just turn into childish silliness. They must be regulated with a cool head and a firm hand.

reputationdefender.png

Having said that, I want no part of this positivity hippie nonsense. Facebook "likes" but no "dislikes"? Positives but no negatives? All pluses but no minuses possible? 95% of posts are minus-worthy!!

Just like the school system where everyone can only go up not down.

reputationdefender.png

Just like the school system where everyone can only go up not down.

How about a system where you start with a certain number of points which people can remove for bad posts.....when you reach zero no posting for the rest of the week......would certainly have an effect on the political nonsense forum....:P

• Like 1

A good new feature, I hope we can keep it. Is there any way you can see which posts have contributed to your reputation score?

Your felid avatar just contributed to your reputation and i gave you a +1 for it. hehe.

av-17554.gif

//added: keep in mind even a "reputation" high as 1000 will not save you from a suspension

I'm living proof of that.

Perhaps there should be another little 'tool' under a persons profile, perhaps similar to a little hangman symbol, so we can see whos head is about to come off next. :lol:

This forum is way too soft on banned members. We should have a forum named 'Purgatory' where they can have a few days to plead forgiveness and grovel before being hung drawn and quartered......and we could poke them with sticks etc.....:P

. We should have a forum named 'Purgatory'

I think they do have a thread like that, it features on the site every so often and there normally seems to be alot of talk about shirt colours. :vampire:

The April Fools threads......hopefully next year it will all be limited to the one thread or I'll just hide away in the music threads for a month with my Bose headphones turned up. :ph34r:

Edited by smokie36

How about a system where you start with a certain number of points which people can remove for bad posts.....when you reach zero no posting for the rest of the week......would certainly have an effect on the political nonsense forum....

Absolutely brilliant idea, then banned members could rejoin and vote down posts of people they think got them banned, or members who just don't like each other remove points and get people banned from posting for a week..

You could in theory open another account with a different IP addy as another member and vote yourself up, it's so open to "abuse" IMO it aint worth a wan*. :crazy:

• Like 1

How about a system where you start with a certain number of points which people can remove for bad posts.....when you reach zero no posting for the rest of the week......would certainly have an effect on the political nonsense forum....

Absolutely brilliant idea, then banned members could rejoin and vote down posts of people they think got them banned, or members who just don't like each other remove points and get people banned from posting for a week..

You could in theory open another account with a different IP addy as another member and vote yourself up, it's so open to "abuse" IMO it aint worth a wan*. :crazy:

If you are quoting my post be kind enough to do so in a way which reflects the true nature of it.....:P

I did not read all of the posts, but regardless, here is my opinion on reputation. I am basing all of this on personal experience from other forums.

First, reputation is a terrible, terrible, terrible system. It basically equates to nothing except for people "whore-ing" themselves out and begging for more reputation or they may make several new accounts, hide behind a proxy, and vote their rep up. Believe me, it happens.

Second, people do rep unfairly and if negative rep is involved, they will generally severely abuse it and do a negative rep on any post of a person they do not like.

Third, people who have rep may sometimes develop a god complex and may think, "Well, I have a high rep, who da man!?!?!?"

Rep should always be left out of forums. When old people use sarcasm, it will be plus rep from old people even though the post was completely unhelpful but they like it because somebody was targeted in it. :)

Rep is stooooooooouuuuuupppiiiddd.

I read all the posts, won't be double posting a la Grizzley, have spent a decade on forums because I have a ridiculous tight life, and here is my [superior to yall's] opinion on Reputation. I am basing all of this from experience on other forums with Rep and from my > > > superior tight life jeanius mind.

Reputation is, when managed correctly - and frankly the 'quality' of modding or lack thereof I've seen here at TV has been of the kind that does not lend one excessive 'hope' in any such correct management being feasible - but regardless, when managed correctly, Reputation Points with one-line comments are pretty much the greatest thing about online forum posting. They eliminate all the endless quoting where people just post one line in agreement [a cost of doing non-Rep post dysfunctional business] - and are a source of endless hilarity. In my experience, people are relatively balanced even when a forum troll pulls a decent response once in a blue moon etc as per below:

1280104511.jpg

It takes a tiny bit of work for the administration team to write the formulas where new posters can't simply start splashing revenge reps willy-nilly, the higher your rep, the more weight your rep [good or bad] carries, there is a specific sub-forum purely for reports of spotted circle jerk reps or revenge reps or unfunny reps where objective judge mod rules on them all and obviously spectacular threads develop from the 'controversy'.

Basically there are answers for all the 'problems' with repping systems, it's just bringing forum admins to the water of Reputation hilarity hasn't proved as easy a task as I'd imagined it would be. But whilst I will likely never succeed, I shall continue the Honourable Fight. It beats being....productive. bah.gif

• Like 1

I did not read all of the posts, but regardless, here is my opinion on reputation. I am basing all of this on personal experience from other forums.

First, reputation is a terrible, terrible, terrible system. It basically equates to nothing except for people "whore-ing" themselves out and begging for more reputation or they may make several new accounts, hide behind a proxy, and vote their rep up. Believe me, it happens.

Second, people do rep unfairly and if negative rep is involved, they will generally severely abuse it and do a negative rep on any post of a person they do not like.

Third, people who have rep may sometimes develop a god complex and may think, "Well, I have a high rep, who da man!?!?!?"

Rep should always be left out of forums. When old people use sarcasm, it will be plus rep from old people even though the post was completely unhelpful but they like it because somebody was targeted in it. :)

Rep is stooooooooouuuuuupppiiiddd.

post-3770-096825100 1280144991_thumb.jpg

• Like 1