Biometric Passport Card (Us)

bangkokburning

Last passport Reup I got a biometric PP card for US20 and good for ten years. Anyone know if this is sufficient as ID in BKK. My hunch is no as...

It does not include visa/stamps/departure card - that cops may want to see (and think you a forger if you would photocopy such things)

Have not a clue what it is

It is very official looking and bears all the security of a modern ID card/passport. Has same info as my passport.

I am sure if I ask at immigration, the cops if stopped would think otherwise anyway...

-really dislike carrying around big fat passport in cities!

It's intention is for travel between the US & Mexico, Canada & islands in the Caribbean, where you used to just need to show your birth certificate. It's not for international travel. You will still need your passport.

Look at it a "passport lite"

I'll second the previous post. I never carry my passport here in LOS. I do keep a color copy of the face page & my current visa stamp in my wallet & if my Thai drivers license is not good enough, which it is has been each time I've been asked for my passport, I'll show them that. I use my Thai DL every time I am asked for my passport & it always works, even with the BIB.

Edited by Tagaa

"It's not for international travel. You will still need your passport."

He is asking about using it for ID, not for traveling.

OP, if someone asks for ID, it should work. If they ask for passport, depending on who's asking, it might work. Usually ID would be something with a photo.

"Has same info as my passport."

But it doesn't have your passport number on it.

If it did, officialdom might be able to tie it to your visa or entry.

It surely does have my passport number on it. It is a matching document - identical info in every way to the passport itself. If an official were to use this to access my pp info - it would be identical. It is not a second pp, it is an identical document meant to be used in electronic manner but has all info my pp has incl pp# and photo (identical). I would think if they used the info on the card they could easily tie it to my visa.

I don't want to use it for entry - although it might work for Canada, Mexico and possibly Europe. Just ID in BKK.

I have been using my PR card (same thing) in lieu of passport as ID for several years , never had a problem , I travel on a British passport , when I go to Canada they always ask me for 'Proper ID' , my UK passport is no longer sufficient for them .The only way I have to renew this card is by personal collection only , same goes for my health card and driving license .

The numbers on my PP Card and Passport are different. Perhaps that's because I didn't get them at the same time. Different expiration dates by a few years.

If your PP number is on the PP Card, immigration might be able to access your visa/entry info.

If so, that would make it worthwhile to have, if for no other reason than to not have to carry your passport all the time, which most of us don't do anyway.