Taxi In Samui

Hi, I'm arriving in Samui in the morning (Wednesday - tomorrow) and need to go to South Cheweng for about an hour, and then continue to the pier to catch a boat to Ko Tao with Seatran discovery (not sure where that is maybe nathon??!)... Can anyone comment on what a taxi would cost for such a trip or recommend a driver? I hear the airport only has it's own car service and they're a lot more expensive than taxis..

Can I somehow call a taxi? will they allow them to pick me up? I have quite a bit of luggage so not sure if a regular car will fit, may need suv or bigger car (3 large suitcases, plus a small one, stroller etc..)

Any help greatly appreciated..

Edited by chaimdan

Moved to the Samui Forum where I am sure you will get lots of helpful replies on Samui Taxis :whistling:

The general opinion is to avoid them like the plague as they are a huge rip off. They refuse to use meters and get aggressive when you question the fare.

Hopefully some local members can give you good advise.

Moved to the Samui Forum where I am sure you will get lots of helpful replies on Samui Taxis :whistling:

Thanks, I just noticed the samui forum and was going to repost...

As you come out of the airport you will be approached by ladies at a taxi kiosk,they will quote stupid prices,if you continue on walking out of the terminal towards the main road someone will approach you and ask "where you going" their prices will be at least 200 baht cheaper,but it will probably cost you 400 baht with them.

With regards to getting to koh tao,seatran operate out of banrak,its 500 baht one way to tao or 900 baht return approx.The other choice is lomprayah catarmaran that leaves from mae nam and its about the same price as seatran.

Thanks for the reply.. I actually already have tickets on Seatran, what I wanted was a taxi for about two hours.... to take me to cheweng wait with the suitcases in car for 45 mins, and then continue to the pier... When you mention walking out of the terminal, can I still take my cart with me there?! as I have a heavy load... Also any idea what I should offer to pay for the above?!

Also is it safe to leave my luggage in the taxi while I go somewhere for 30-45 minutes?

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply.. I actually already have tickets on Seatran, what I wanted was a taxi for about two hours.... to take me to cheweng wait with the suitcases in car for 45 mins, and then continue to the pier... When you mention walking out of the terminal, can I still take my cart with me there?! as I have a heavy load... Also any idea what I should offer to pay for the above?!

Also is it safe to leave my luggage in the taxi while I go somewhere for 30-45 minutes?

Thanks again

"Also is it safe to leave my luggage in the taxi while I go somewhere for 30-45 minutes?"

No :D

Edit, But I'm sure by now he has found that out. Haaaaaaaaaa

Hope u still have ur luggage.

Edited by sevenhills

your hate of the taxi drivers blinds you. They don't steal the luggage, they just want to have the highest possible fare.

and for the complete unsure: leave the luggage at the reception during the break at the resort....

Edited by Birdman

and for the complete unsure: leave the luggage at the reception during the break at the resort....

this is minimum a 50/50 chance , that it is still there when you come back....

you are saying that 50% of the luggage at the reception is stolen????

don't you know about late check out?

no? I explain: most flights to Europe from Bangkok are at nighttime > tourists stay at the Samui hotels till evening and check out at noon by leaving the luggage at the reception...!

ever heard of some larcenies in that matter???

no? I explain: most flights to Europe from Bangkok are at nighttime > tourists stay at the Samui hotels till evening and check out at noon by leaving the luggage at the reception...!

Honestly I never heard of anything like that on Samui .

I did not say that, but -honestly- you believe it will never happen?/happened?

I know the facts about late check out quite well, and when I see sometimes how the luggage is stored beside/near the reception,,,,

Its always possible, that there is nobody at the reception for a few minutes, due to whatever(staff change/toilet etc...)

and then?I dont want to explain in detail how it can happen.And i must not explain, how foolish sometimes people are, with handling their

belongings-everywhere in the world-not only Samui.