Perhaps My Favorite Quote.....

sailaway2000

“In Passing” by Sterling Hayden, who lived 1916-1986.

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen, who play with their boats at sea- ‘cruising’ it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.”I’ve always wanted to go to the South Seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is NOT to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous disciplines of “security.” And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine-and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need–really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat, and shelter, six feet to lie down in–and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all in the material sense. And we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade.The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Where, then lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

by Sterling Hayden, sailor extraordinaire.

Yours?

Nothing whatsoever to do with Chiang Mai :D but I agree a great quote and the autobiography the Wanderer from which it came is a truly magnificent book. Hunter Thompson wrote something very similiar in his younger days which I like;

Security

by Hunter S. Thompson (1955).

Security ... what does this word mean in relation to life as we know it today? For the most part, it means safety and freedom from worry. It is said to be the end that all men strive for; but is security a utopian goal or is it another word for rut?

Let us visualize the secure man; and by this term, I mean a man who has settled for financial and personal security for his goal in life. In general, he is a man who has pushed ambition and initiative aside and settled down, so to speak, in a boring, but safe and comfortable rut for the rest of his life. His future is but an extension of his present, and he accepts it as such with a complacent shrug of his shoulders. His ideas and ideals are those of society in general and he is accepted as a respectable, but average and prosaic man. But is he a man? has he any self-respect or pride in himself? How could he, when he has risked nothing and gained nothing? What does he think when he sees his youthful dreams of adventure, accomplishment, travel and romance buried under the cloak of conformity? How does he feel when he realizes that he has barely tasted the meal of life; when he sees the prison he has made for himself in pursuit of the almighty dollar? If he thinks this is all well and good, fine, but think of the tragedy of a man who has sacrificed his freedom on the altar of security, and wishes he could turn back the hands of time. A man is to be pitied who lacked the courage to accept the challenge of freedom and depart from the cushion of security and see life as it is instead of living it second-hand. Life has by-passed this man and he has watched from a secure place, afraid to seek anything better What has he done except to sit and wait for the tomorrow which never comes?

Turn back the pages of history and see the men who have shaped the destiny of the world. Security was never theirs, but they lived rather than existed. Where would the world be if all men had sought security and not taken risks or gambled with their lives on the chance that, if they won, life would be different and richer? It is from the bystanders (who are in the vast majority) that we receive the propaganda that life is not worth living, that life is drudgery, that the ambitions of youth must he laid aside for a life which is but a painful wait for death. These are the ones who squeeze what excitement they can from life out of the imaginations and experiences of others through books and movies. These are the insignificant and forgotten men who preach conformity because it is all they know. These are the men who dream at night of what could have been, but who wake at dawn to take their places at the now-familiar rut and to merely exist through another day. For them, the romance of life is long dead and they are forced to go through the years on a treadmill, cursing their existence, yet afraid to die because of the unknown which faces them after death. They lacked the only true courage: the kind which enables men to face the unknown regardless of the consequences.

As an afterthought, it seems hardly proper to write of life without once mentioning happiness; so we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?

Edited by anonymouse

Nothing whatsoever to do with Chiang Mai :D but I agree a great quote and the autobiography the Wanderer from which it came is a truly magnificent book. Hunter Thompson wrote something very similiar in his younger days which I like;

Security

Security ... what does this word mean in relation to life as we know it today? For the most part, it means safety and freedom from worry. It is said to be the end that all men strive for; but is security a utopian goal or is it another word for rut?

Let us visualize the secure man; and by this term, I mean a man who has settled for financial and personal security for his goal in life. In general, he is a man who has pushed ambition and initiative aside and settled down, so to speak, in a boring, but safe and comfortable rut for the rest of his life. His future is but an extension of his present, and he accepts it as such with a complacent shrug of his shoulders. His ideas and ideals are those of society in general and he is accepted as a respectable, but average and prosaic man. But is he a man? has he any self-respect or pride in himself? How could he, when he has risked nothing and gained nothing? What does he think when he sees his youthful dreams of adventure, accomplishment, travel and romance buried under the cloak of conformity? How does he feel when he realizes that he has barely tasted the meal of life; when he sees the prison he has made for himself in pursuit of the almighty dollar? If he thinks this is all well and good, fine, but think of the tragedy of a man who has sacrificed his freedom on the altar of security, and wishes he could turn back the hands of time. A man is to be pitied who lacked the courage to accept the challenge of freedom and depart from the cushion of security and see life as it is instead of living it second-hand. Life has by-passed this man and he has watched from a secure place, afraid to seek anything better What has he done except to sit and wait for the tomorrow which never comes?

Turn back the pages of history and see the men who have shaped the destiny of the world. Security was never theirs, but they lived rather than existed. Where would the world be if all men had sought security and not taken risks or gambled with their lives on the chance that, if they won, life would be different and richer? It is from the bystanders (who are in the vast majority) that we receive the propaganda that life is not worth living, that life is drudgery, that the ambitions of youth must he laid aside for a life which is but a painful wait for death. These are the ones who squeeze what excitement they can from life out of the imaginations and experiences of others through books and movies. These are the insignificant and forgotten men who preach conformity because it is all they know. These are the men who dream at night of what could have been, but who wake at dawn to take their places at the now-familiar rut and to merely exist through another day. For them, the romance of life is long dead and they are forced to go through the years on a treadmill, cursing their existence, yet afraid to die because of the unknown which faces them after death. They lacked the only true courage: the kind which enables men to face the unknown regardless of the consequences.

As an afterthought, it seems hardly proper to write of life without once mentioning happiness; so we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?

That is atruly depressing quote. As one who is secure I can truly say that in attaing it I lived many of the dreams to get here. Yes there is still more dreams to fulfill maybe I will and maybe I wont. But the one thing I will be sure not to do is beat myself over the head for being secure.

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.

Watch your words, for they become actions.

Watch your actions, for they become habits.

Watch your habits, for they become character.

Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

• Like 1

So what's the connection to Chiang Mai? :wacko:

Indeed, no specific connection to CM, but perhaps, to those who chose to live here or in Thailand or Asia or elsewhere.

I can speak only for myself, but NOT having substantial funds, by any stretch of the imagination, I have learned to live a more common Thai life style. I have come to a deeper appreciation and understanding (both good and bad) of the Thai culture. I am not sure I could have done that if I built a big, new ostentatious house and drove a big new car. Not that you can't, don't take me wrong, do not flame me, but from what I have witnessed (first coming here 40 years ago and living in Asia for 10 years), many, many people just do not.

Rimping, Tops supermarkets. Haven't needed to go there in years. I go to the local markets, buy my 20 baht bags of food, talk to the vendors, learn more of their lives and fears and hopes and what makes them happy or sad. Find that at RIMPING or TOPS? Doubtful.

You've seen them. The ones with too much money, too much time in their hands, who fall into what I call, "The Chiang Mai Fog". This is not everybody, to be sure, and those who participate on TV may well be a different class of people, who appreciate that we come from 'privileged' societies, and try to give back some of the knowledge and skills we have attained to the local culture.

I appreciate the Hunter S. quote, I'll add that i my list of good ones.

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."

Sydney CarLton said this upon retiring to Chiang Mai, with reference to fishing, swimming at the falls, reading, loafing, food, and mornings after.

Dickens, who had the insight into character of a true genius, unfortunately had hold of the wrong fellow. What Sydney Carton said, upon sobering up again, but this time in a tumbril, said, "Oh, bl__dy h_ll! Wait! Wait! !"

Security

Great to see somebody else reads the doctors work. What a genius.

"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest — a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein, 1950

In our humble opinion, the most dangerous self-delusion is the idea that there is such a thing as "normal" life, and that we happen to be an example of it; which leads to perceptions of others who appear to live/behave using different values, goals, philosophies ... which consciously, or subconsciously, appear to us as "incongruent," or "meaningless," or "boring," or "deviant," or "wrong" ... as : ... insert your stereotypes here ...

Does this imply a "totally non-judgemental" mentality : no. Does this imply a "moral relativism" in which any type of cruelty or sadism is "off the hook" : no.

But, you do need to become a clever thief in order to walk at a least a mile in many other person's shoes.

best, ~o:37;

'Tis not the critic who counts,

Nor how the strong man stumbled and fell,

Nor how the doer of deeds could have done better.

The credit goes to He who is actually in the arena,

Who knows lifes great passions and enthusiasms,

And spends himself in a worthy cause.

Should he fail,

Then at least he fails while dareing greatly,

So never will he become one of those cold and timid soles,

Who Know neither Victory nor Defeat.

Cant remember the auther but a quick google check should find it. Im sure it was an american president. Was writen on a grave in Alice Springs, Australia, but i cant remember whos it was. Not the best with names.

Im gonna quit my job and apply for as many credit cards as I can get. Live for the moment. Yee harrr. Chiang Mai here I come. Who's got the best burger these days? :D