Thought For The Day

Neeranam

I have a little spiritual book which I found in India. It is kind of between Buddhism and Hinduism. I chose one at random every day.

I'd like to share todays one with you.

"If I am always comparing myself with other human beings, I will SUFFER from ego or jealousy"

What was the future happens now, what happens now becomes the past - so why worry.

There is a Thai saying I like- "arai ja gerd gaw hai man gerd" what happens is meant to happen.

Does no one else have any thoughts?

What was the future happens now, what happens now becomes the past - so why worry.

There is a Thai saying I like- "arai ja gerd gaw hai man gerd" what happens is meant to happen.

Not at present Neeranam, but I do enjoy yours... keep 'em coming.

:o

Sounds like typical Thai fatalism to me. If we were to paraphrase Buddhist teachings it would come out something like: Whatever is in the past is past, so don't waste time worrying about it. What you do in the present directly affects your future, so make sure you are doing the right thing now!

• Like 1

Better Buddha Sakayamuni:

"If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present."

Or to put it another way: If we want to understand our present, look at the causes that we created in the past; and if we want to know the effects in the future, then look at the causes that we are creating now.

• Like 1

What causes the most pain - the mistake or the criticism of the mistake?

Any more Neeranam? I love it.

I am glad you like them. I thought that maybe noone was reading with the lack of responds and thoughts.

Anyone else got any thoughts or sayings that are good to remember throughout the day?

What is more important, your standard of living or living a life with correct standards?

Now that one was excellent Neeranam... and one of the main reasons for me living and working here in Thailand.

:o

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-07-08 10:37:29)

Only when you accept the rules of freedom can you call yourself free.

What are the rules of freedom?

Good question Chownah. In a Buddhist sense(as this forum is about it), I guess the 5, 8, 250 or whatever precepts. I won't tell you my real belief in the rules of freedom as they involve God, as I understand him, which has nothing to do with Buddhism.

Thought for the day

Once you get used to doing nothing, you find that there is no time left to become busy.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-07-08 10:37:29)

Only when you accept the rules of freedom can you call yourself free.

What are the rules of freedom?

Good question Chownah. In a Buddhist sense(as this forum is about it), I guess the 5, 8, 250 or whatever precepts. I won't tell you my real belief in the rules of freedom as they involve God, as I understand him, which has nothing to do with Buddhism.

Not wishing to be confrontational with any profound Buddhists - but, who knows?

QUOTE(sabaijai @ 2005-07-09 10:54:52)

The existence of things is not in dispute.

It is the manner in which they exist that must be clarified.

Dalai Lama XIV

...who held his 70th birthday 3 days ago.

Happy Birthday, Dal, we neither dispute your existence nor its manner.

Happy Birthday HH!

I met him once, shaking his hand, at his residence in Darmsala, India.

What an incredible aura and infectious laughter he has.

I had so many questions I wanted to ask him, but when i met him and looked into his eyes, they were all answered without any words being shared.

The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quite, and try to do it without the feeling of self, but with real love.

Dalai Lama XIV

Happy Birthday HH!

I had so many questions I wanted to ask him, but when i met him and looked into his eyes, they were all answered without any words being shared.

It is alway best to do things with real love, but in a certain sense it is a better exercise for your soul if you can abide by the golden rule when you are filled with utter hatred.

Edited by chownah

Dalai Lama XIV

Happy Birthday HH!

It is alway best to do things with real love, but in a certain sense it is a better exercise for your soul if you can abide by the golden rule when you are filled with utter hatred.

Which has similarities to saying, we can all kiss the faces of those we love, but the real test of self-less love or compassion is to be able to kiss the lips of a leper.

Or, loving our family and friends is easy, but can we love our enemies?