Box And Utility Trailers

After 4 years of motoring around Thailand I have only seen 2 (what I would call street legal) trailers, with registration plates, being towed behind pick-ups. One in the Udon area used by the local Honda distributor designed to carry bikes and another near Chiang Mai looking like it was used by a university for mobile environmental purposes. There is a Thai up the road with a ‘Reese’ type heavy duty hitch on his 4x4 but I think it was on there when he bought the car, he has never had a trailer on the back. I have also seen small pleasure boats being towed around Pattaya but I would not call the trailers or hitches ‘Street Legal’, definitely no plates, lights etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I could not imagine any thing worse than seeing a pick-up stacked 2 fold with people, towing a trailer same same heading off to the boon docks for Song Khran holidays. :o

This poses the question:- There are obviously laws in Thailand restricting the use of trailers. What are they?

A mate of mine who has a place in Chaing Mai, makes trailers all sizes, as i took him some tow balls over from the Uk for him to copy, and other bits, i think he is exporting to USA & Uk, but also selling to Thai's

I have been in the trailer buying mood the last few weeks here in California,

I bought 4 in the last month

loads of them here, and like you said I have not seen them in LOS,

I do not see how there is any profit building trailers and shipping them to the USA, shipping has to take all the profit

Guest fj2003

just imaging that the thais go to ride their pickups drunk with a trailer behnd

please not at all!!!!

it is already dangerous enougth to see them driving without any understanding and taking care about street rules ( doing a u-turn on the same highway side just because 500 m!! back is a fruit shop and the mia noy forget to tell the driver that she like to have some fruits ---- happen me and a friend on the highway 2 to khorat, we had been stopped at that fruit shop before already