Tourist Visa - Free, Or Not ?

Is the Tourist Visa free or not from August 2, 2010?

The Thai Embassy in Norway say that the free Visa ends on August 1. 2010, and the price for the Visa on August 2. is increased from NOK 200 to NOK 250.

Contacting the Thai Consular in Norway, they say that the general price of Tourist Visa increase from NOK 200 to NOK 250 from August 2., but it is still free until March 31, 2011.

Is it the Consular or the Embassy that have got it right?

Anyone know?

J!!!

It says no such thing in my reading. It is a general revision of fees, based on exchange rate changes no doubt, and does not address free tourist visa issue at all.

I absolutely agree with you, but as I said, the Thai Embassy in Norway choose to read it as if there is a 30 EURO (NOK 250) fee from August 2.

Other Embassies/Consulars that don't like the FREE Tourist Visa might choose to read it the same way.

J!!!

Single entry should be free everywhere. Consulates are not free to ignore MFA on such matters.

They don't ignore it. The Ebassy just reads the instruction they got from MFA about the new Visa prices, and just interpret this to the Tourist Visa now costs 30 Euro.

Their thougt is that why should the MFA adjust the Visa price from 25 to 30 EUR in a period where theTourist Visa is free. This then must mean that the MFA cancels the free Tourist Visa, and the price is now 30 EUR.

J!!!

There always has to be a price for listing and it has changed for all types so page has changed. Tourist visa is as free there as anywhere else until someone actually reports having to pay. As has been said more than one tourist visa at same time could involve having to pay so there must be a price available.

• 3 weeks later...

Then I finally sent my passport to the Royal Thai Consulate General in Oslo. Norway.

Since everybody here, on the forum, has said that tourist visa is free I disn't enclose the NOK 250, which is the price.

And today I got the phonecall.

The free tourist visa had been cancelled from August 2., and I had to pay NOK 250 in to their account.

If not, the passport would be returned without a visa.

I protested, and referred to the MFA webpage, and to current postings at Thaivisa.com, but they said they had got their instructions from the Embassy in Oslo.

But since I protested (and made the references) they would check it up with the Embassy again, and call me again tomorrow or over the weekend.

Since my original phonecall when I started this post was with the Embassy I don't have much hope.

Is Norway the only country that demands payment for tourist visa, or do you have any other reports?

J!!!

Then I finally sent my passport to the Royal Thai Consulate General in Oslo. Norway.

Since everybody here, on the forum, has said that tourist visa is free I disn't enclose the NOK 250, which is the price.

And today I got the phonecall.

The free tourist visa had been cancelled from August 2., and I had to pay NOK 250 in to their account.

If not, the passport would be returned without a visa.

I protested, and referred to the MFA webpage, and to current postings at Thaivisa.com, but they said they had got their instructions from the Embassy in Oslo.

But since I protested (and made the references) they would check it up with the Embassy again, and call me again tomorrow or over the weekend.

Since my original phonecall when I started this post was with the Embassy I don't have much hope.

Is Norway the only country that demands payment for tourist visa, or do you have any other reports?

J!!!

It is certainly strange that a General Consulate will charge for a tourist visa. They might be confused with a price change of the visa, because of currency fluctuations, and interpreted that as meaning that one now has to pay again for tourist visas.

If they persist and it is not a mistake I would complain directly to the ministry of foreign affairs or the Tourist authority Thailand to address this issue. But I'm pretty sure they made a mistake.

I just received my triple entry 6 month tourist visa from the consulate in Hull, UK and was charged only the 8 GBP postage as detailed in the news section on the front of the website.

Postage fees have nothing to do with visa fees charged by embassy/consulate and are always additional. You could have reduced the postage charge to under £4 by enclosing a pre-paid special delivery envelope for the return of your passport/visa.