Thailand Urged To Quickly Ratify United Nations Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC)

webfact

Thailand urged to quickly ratify UNCAC

By ACHARA PONGVUTITHAM

THE NATION

Thailand must show its sincerity in fighting graft by rushing ratification of the United Nations Convention Against Corruption, both private and public sectors urged over the weekend.

That would not only ensure enforcement against corruption in the country and cooperation from treaty members, but also prove that the government was serious, as Thailand will host the International Anti-Corruption Conference (IACC) from November 10-14, participants at a roundtable hosted by Krungthep Turakij said.

Thailand became a signatory to the pact in 2003.

HOW IT WILL HELP

Ratifying the UNCAC could also help return ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to stand trial here in the near future or speed up the trial of well-known financier Rakesh Saxena, the roundtable pointed out.

All UNCAC signatories - 135 countries at present - are obliged to coordinate with each another on mutual legal assistance and asset recovery for crimes, even to the extent of extradition.

Signatories must also support international investigation and apprehension among member countries.

Dusit Nontanakorn, chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said the private sector is proceeding with cracking down on corruption among themselves, but the government should move in the same direction by ratifying the convention as soon as possible.

"It's quite strange that we apply to be a member of the pact and we will be the host country of IACC but we have not yet ratified it," he said.

Utis Kaothien, a senior expert of the National Anti-Corruption Commission, said ratification is one of the key measures against corruption. It will allow Thailand to gain social recognition and quick responses to its proposals.

The government should set a timeframe for ratification since it has been a member for years, he said.

'FIRST RATIFY, THEN AMEND'

The government has defended the delay by saying it needs to amend laws, which will take time, to facilitate the signing.

Utis suggested that the government ratify the pact first then amend the laws to ensure enforcement. Another way is to commit to the members a definite period - whether three or six months - to ratify it.

"There are still two months before Thailand hosts such an international conference and we should set a certain time limit for ratification now if we want to secure support from other members," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-30

Is anyone else just a little more than tired of all the "do as I say not as I do" bureaucrats, politicians and demagogues in the world?

Has it been so long that we have forgotten about ....

- the UN oil for food scandal

- the UN procurement contract scandal

- profiteering by then UN head Kofi Annan's son and their cronies

- UN "peacekeepers" mass rape of Congolese children

- etc., etc., etc.

A thoroughly corrupt organization trying to tell nations to stop corruption? Gimme a <deleted>' break! Let's start fixing global corruption by dissolving the UN.

If Thailand wants to fix Thailand's problems with corruption, then it has to come from within, not from signing another worthless roll of UN toilet paper.

Edited by Spee

Is anyone else just a little more than tired of all the "do as I say not as I do" bureaucrats, politicians and demagogues in the world?

- etc., etc., etc.

A thoroughly corrupt organization trying to tell nations to stop corruption? Gimme a <deleted>' break! Let's start fixing global corruption by dissolving the UN.

If Thailand wants to fix Thailand's problems with corruption, then it has to come from within, not from signing another worthless roll of UN toilet paper.

I Concur,

I keep repeating this like a mantra ..... "CORRUPTION STARTS AT HOME!"

As long as many Thia kids see thier parents leading by example and accepting the 200 Baht/500 Baht from the Pu yai baan (spelling?), from the head of the Village to vote for him, corruption will never cease in Thailand.

To the Farangs who complain about corruption in Thialand,

YOU can do something ....especially those of you who live Upcountry or in a village elswhere.

Those Falangs who just turn a blind eye to the Wife and her extended family are just as guilty as an accessory to the crime as the Wife and extended family are in accepting the bribe.

YOU can help by education and persuation and hopefully preventing the start and social acceptance of corruption at home.

Most Thais just dont see the acceptance of 200 Baht as something bad (its only 200 Baht after all, a days wages) if you dont point out the consequences of thier being bribed to them individually. and to thier Country otherwise.

200 baht becomes 2,000 Baht, 2,000 Baht becomes 20,000 baht, 20,000 baht becomes 2 million Baht, 2 million Baht becomes 20 Million Baht, 20 Million Baht becomes 200 Million Baht, all same same!

'buddy' timestamp='1283145202' post='3849189']

- etc., etc., etc.

I Concur,

As long as many Thia kids see thier parents leading by example and accepting the 200 Baht/500 Baht from the Pu yai baan (spelling?), from the head of the Village to vote for him, corruption will never cease in Thailand.

YOU can do something ....especially those of you who live Upcountry or in a village elswhere.

Those Falangs who just turn a blind eye to the Wife and her extended family are just as guilty as an accessory to the crime as the Wife and extended family are in accepting the bribe.

YOU can help by education and persuation and hopefully preventing the start and social acceptance of corruption at home.

Most Thais just dont see the acceptance of 200 Baht as something bad (its only 200 Baht after all, a days wages) if you dont point out the consequences of thier being bribed to them individually. and to thier Country otherwise.

200 baht becomes 2,000 Baht, 2,000 Baht becomes 20,000 baht, 20,000 baht becomes 2 million Baht, 2 million Baht becomes 20 Million Baht, 20 Million Baht becomes 200 Million Baht, all same same!

Are you joking or being somewhat sarcastic ? Do you truly believe any member of a Farangs extended family will actualy listen to him , he will get the habitual nod of the head and Atypical response "I know , I know "when they do not know shi_t about shenola in regards to corruption and could care even less .

Corruption has become more imbedded in Thai culture the Buhdism , give us all a break please .

- etc., etc., etc.

First, I think you have to look at what the UN has done over time. And while they are certainly not as effective as many of us wish they would be, they have done far more good in the world than bad.

There is virtually no organization the size of the UN that does not have some corruption within or some bad people within.

It has been said that if we did not have a UN, we would develop one.

Having said all that, Thailand should not sign such a document unless it is actively pursuing a dramatic lessening of corruption, and I don't see that happening. They are saying the right words, just as the document would say the right words. That makes the lie all the worse.

• Like 1

- etc., etc., etc.

First, I think you have to look at what the UN has done over time. And while they are certainly not as effective as many of us wish they would be, they have done far more good in the world than bad.

There is virtually no organization the size of the UN that does not have some corruption within or some bad people within.

It has been said that if we did not have a UN, we would develop one.

Having said all that, Thailand should not sign such a document unless it is actively pursuing a dramatic lessening of corruption, and I don't see that happening. They are saying the right words, just as the document would say the right words. That makes the lie all the worse.

I use to work at the UN in New York City. The stories I could tell...a real mess for sure. Completely ineffective. Representatives from many countries are appointed due to their family connections...and are basically worthless and there to just party and have fun. One of the biggest money wasting organizations in the world. But, some good has been done...and the alternative is not any better.

Some people wonder why the US sticks it's nose into other countries biz. Like the Bout case. It if was up to the UN, nothing would happen. They'd take years to have meetings about it, years to then try and implement what they decided to do, and years to try to get some results.

Beautiful building, though!

I use to work at the UN in New York City. The stories I could tell...a real mess for sure. Completely ineffective. Representatives from many countries are appointed due to their family connections...and are basically worthless and there to just party and have fun. One of the biggest money wasting organizations in the world. But, some good has been done...and the alternative is not any better.

For Phetaroi and other like-minded individuals, your opinions of the UN are honorable and worthy of respect.

Truth be told, the US is interested in the UN for one and only one reason: espionage, asset development, subversion and political infiltration of rogue nations for the purpose of defense of US citizens. The US and its allies (including Thailand) can and do meet by themselves to discuss and protect their allied interests, irrespective of what goes on in the UN. The US and its allies are able to go to the aid of troubled nations faster and with far more resources than the UN.

The trade-off is that rogue nations are given a free pass to enter the US and allied nations under the auspices of UN diplomacy, and try to do the same thing to us, as well as have uninterrupted access to sympathetic western media outlets.

Back to this thread, for Thailand to resolve its internal problems with corruption, it has to been bootstrapped from within or it is little more than an exercise in futility. Thailand doesn't need the UN or any of its worthless treaties any more than the US does.

Edited by Spee

- etc., etc., etc.

I Concur,

I thought it was "charity" began at home...ie family needs first ???

Okay then if someone gave you a million bucks to vote for 'em there's a very good chance YOU would accept! ..same same just the price and value to the individual is different.

Would depend on ones definition of corruption....is millions of dollars on election parties and $1000 a plate dinners in the west not also a form of "corruption"?

Any "freebies" given in order to encourage a specific action could well be considered corruption. Never "tipped" a Maitre De or doorman for priority entry/a good table or bribed a kid brother of a girlfriend to zip it and get lost lol????

Are you joking or being somewhat sarcastic ? Do you truly believe any member of a Farangs extended family will actualy listen to him , he will get the habitual nod of the head and Atypical response "I know , I know "when they do not know shi_t about shenola in regards to corruption and could care even less .

Corruption has become more imbedded in Thai culture the Buhdism , give us all a break please .

Its the Thai posture of indifference at home that has got them to accept corruption as "normal" behaviour in Thai society in the first place.

Even if you let the extended family know that you know and they continue to be bribed in small amounts, even if just one seed of thought is planted about corruptiuon in thier heads its a start.

I dont really know what Buddhism has got to do with it?

I thought it was "charity" began at home...ie family needs first ???

Okay then if someone gave you a million bucks to vote for 'em there's a very good chance YOU would accept! ..same same just the price and value to the individual is different.

Would depend on ones definition of corruption....is millions of dollars on election parties and $1000 a plate dinners in the west not also a form of "corruption"?

Any "freebies" given in order to encourage a specific action could well be considered corruption. Never "tipped" a Maitre De or doorman for priority entry/a good table or bribed a kid brother of a girlfriend to zip it and get lost lol????

I agree . It seems that anglo saxon falang realy get upset by bribery whilst there own countries thrive on corruption in a sophisticated corporate or governmental form.

One could even argue that small scale bribery can help strengthen social bonds and hiearchical structures, it is only at higher levels when different hierachical structures compete ,as in the case of the reds and yellows

that the system becomes inefficient and devisive.

None the less ratify the treaty and join the club, Thailand will be in good company

One could even argue that small scale bribery can help strengthen social bonds and hiearchical structures,

Ok, I'll bite.

Let's hear your theory as to how small scale bribery helps, whether in Thailand or anywhere else.

One could even argue that small scale bribery can help strengthen social bonds and hiearchical structures,

Ok, I'll bite.

Let's hear your theory as to how small scale bribery helps, whether in Thailand or anywhere else.

The village headman when he pays for the vote is distributing the rewards of his office among his followers who provide him with loyal support.

It is more than just buying a vote it is providing clan support , the interests of the headman are pretty much in line with that of the villagers.

It also fits in with the village system of funding funerals, marriages ect , where again the village headman will play his part.

I think that tea money for the beaurocrats and boys in black is just a local tax allowing you general freedom to do what want. Facilitation money and at a fraction of the price in the west !

The problem comes when there is wide scale distribution from a "war chest" to fund a power grab for the upper levels of corruption.

From one point of view it is a "rent a mob" from the other it is clan warfare. We must not be mistaken in believing that because the redshirt foot soldiers are paid that they are any less loyal to their leaders.

It is just that the footsoldiers are being cynically manipulated , rumours that loyal families were promised 100,000 when the government was overthrown are probably true.

Ok, I'll bite.

The village headman when he pays for the vote is distributing the rewards of his office among his followers who provide him with loyal support.

It is more than just buying a vote it is providing clan support , the interests of the headman are pretty much in line with that of the villagers.

It also fits in with the village system of funding funerals, marriages ect , where again the village headman will play his part.

So Thailand should go back to the tribal dictatorship mentality? That's exactly what you have described. As long as you agree with the people in charge, then you're good to go. But this leaves zero room for dissent. Any and all dissenters are left on the outside (or worse). Why do you think so many African countries are such unmitigated disasters? Tribal mentality. If you're not in the tribe on top, and paying off the one at the top, you are getting the shitty end of the stick.

Sorry, but no thank you. There are tons of examples of how this very thing causes problems in Thailand, and elsewhere.