Extreme Islamophobic Acts Coming In America

Jingthing

At least one group in the USA is threatening to do a public Quran burning soon (coinciding with the end of Ramadan and the anniversary of the 911 attacks).

If they go through with this and sadly I think they will, the backlash from this is likely to be global in nature, probably dwarfing the reaction to the Danish cartoonist's offensive to Muslims depiction of Allah.

I bring this up here because I wonder if this backlash will spread to Thailand. Of course there are lots of native Thai Muslims mostly in the south but I am really referring to tourist areas in Thailand where there are lots of Muslims, especially parts of Bangkok and Pattaya.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/19/quranburning-church-vows-_n_688217.html

Edited by Jingthing

I was wondering if anyone was going to "topic" this ...... I'm all for freedom of speech but this seems to fall into the inciting a riot part that would make it legal to stop. I imagine it will happen as planned but I think the world reaction will be somewhat muted, images of Muhammad are much more sacred and my guess is most will look at it like just another bunch of D-bag Americans looking for attention. I guess we will find out soon. Thankx for adding me as a friend.

• Like 1

No, if they do this, the reaction will definitely be global. I expect some reaction in Thailand as well. Even the US military commander in Afghanistan is stating there will be an extreme negative effect there. I wish there was a way for the police to stop this, free speech is one thing, inciting violence is another, but I think they may be protected by the US constitution.

Edited by Jingthing

If it was a "peaceful" religion as many purport it to be, then the reaction shouldn't be more than someone burning Christian Bibles. But I think those from the USA will become at risk.

Edited by mojaco

If it was a "peaceful" religion as many purport it to be, then the reaction shouldn't be more than someone burning Christian Bibles. But I think those from the USA will become at risk.

Pretty much all religions are used to justify violence. I don't think we want to go there about whether Islam is a violent religion or not. I agree Americans would be the target. At the very least, I think protests at the US embassy are probable, already happening in Indonesia BEFORE the burnings ...

The fundementalists already hate the US. I hardly expect that to change if this happens. As for here, a protest outside the US embassy?

I don't think you get this. Idiotic actions like this rile up a A LOT more people than only dedicated fanatics.

I reckon some other potential protest targets are "symbols" of America such as McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

They will probably stop them if they try doing it and arrest them because their fire permit was denied. It's a pretty foolish thing to do but I am never comfortable when the government uses something like a fire permit as an excuse to stop an otherwise legal demonstration.

They will probably stop them if they try doing it and arrest them because their fire permit was denied. It's a pretty foolish thing to do but I am never comfortable when the government uses something like a fire permit as an excuse to stop an otherwise legal demonstration.

Wackos like that will find a way to burn stuff.

Perhaps the world's Mohammedans will be as upset over the burning of Qur'an by Christian nuttters as they all were over the demolition of ancient Buddha statues by another bunch of nutters acting in the name of Islam.

Edited by GuestHouse

The fundementalists already hate the US. I hardly expect that to change if this happens. As for here, a protest outside the US embassy?

I don't think you get this. Idiotic actions like this rile up a A LOT more people than only dedicated fanatics.

I reckon some other potential protest targets are "symbols" of America such as McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.

Or push a few otherwise borderline fanatics over the line. At the very least such actions make more difficult the work of moderates on all sides working to bridge the divide.

Personally, I don't like the fact that religion often gets a free pass when it comes to criticism. Religious people, in the name of their religion, criticize all sorts of things and even compel legislators to impose their norms on others (causing the banning of—rather than merely opposing— gay marriage, for example). Yet they can't take as well as they give. Some religions seem more prone than others to take offense, but all religions are touchy. This makes a mockery of the central tenet of religion: Faith.

In America, Burning the flag is rightly protected as free speech. Burning the Qur'an may well fall under that protection, or it could be interpreted as hate speech. I don't doubt that the people planning this event are out to incite hatred. And if they succeed in that endeavor, innocents may be harmed down the line, including perhaps innocents in southern Thailand. So the question comes down to this: Is the principle of free speech worth the loss of an indeterminable number of innocent lives?

I don't think that this will have a big affect in Thailand apart from peaceful protests, and we are all entitled to peaceful protest even for fatuous causes.

Even the US military commander in Afghanistan is stating there will be an extreme negative effect there.

And what about the negative effect of thousands of innocent civilians being killed in Afghanistan and surrounding countries since the war for OIL, sorry, The War against Terror started ?blink.gif

Even the US military commander in Afghanistan is stating there will be an extreme negative effect there.

And what about the negative effect of thousands of innocent civilians being killed in Afghanistan and surrounding countries since the war for OIL, sorry, The War against Terror started ?blink.gif

Perhaps people should complain to the Taliban and Al Qaeda leadership about that, since they are responsible for most of the innocent civilians getting killed.