Syphilis Examination

Actually both answers you have recieved so far are incorrect. A syphilis examination is not required to obtain a work permit. A syphilis test is required for a work permit. An examination would be the act of physically examining your penis. A test is checking the blood under a microscope or other means.

Edited by ThaiRich

Not only for new applicants.

I have had my WP for five years.

This year was the first time I had to bring health certificate (including syphilis).

Health certificate was always needed, but the "Examination", the actual health check,

is a "roar in the wilderness", in a well known Samui Hospital after I was weighed,

had my blood pressure checked the doc asked me if I was "healthy" or had any complaints... that was it!

Never experienced anything else then this, the best was the doc in Nathon..

there the receptionist filled out the form and the doc just signed it. :whistling:

Health certificate was always needed

Depends on where you are. For the last few years in CM they have not asked for one when I renewed my WP.

They did however require a vdrl for me to GET my first WP up here. I'll tell you about my renewal experience in Jan ;)

This year was the first time I had to bring health certificate (including syphilis).

Can I ask how long did you have to wait after you first went for the tests until you obtained the results.? Tests now are suppose to be conducted at government hospitals as opposed to private clinics. I have to obtain a few tests in the next week for work permit application.

• Like 1

Can I ask how long did you have to wait after you first went for the tests until you obtained the results.? Tests now are suppose to be conducted at government hospitals as opposed to private clinics. I have to obtain a few tests in the next week for work permit application.

I had the blood draw on Monday and got the results letter on Tuesday at Sri Pat

Went to Thai International hospital here on Samui.

Had to pee in cup and draw some blood.

Had to wait half hour for results.

Total cost 680 baht.

Bring the application form with you.

My doctor did not know what to check for.

Point 3 specifies what to check for.

Page 2 is in English.

Download here WP.2

Edited by PoorSucker

Went to Thai International hospital here on Samui.

Had to pee in cup and draw some blood.

Had to wait half hour for results.

Total cost 680 baht.

Bring the application form with you.

My doctor did not know what to check for.

Point 3 specifies what to check for.

Page 2 is in English.

Download here WP.2

Thanks for your timely reply, I have the sheet from my lawyers office.

Actually both answers you have recieved so far are incorrect. A syphilis examination is not required to obtain a work permit. A syphilis test is required for a work permit. An examination would be the act of physically examining your penis. A test is checking the blood under a microscope or other means.

How would one know if they had syphilis before blood and or urine tests? Are there any symptoms?

Edited by Colabamumbai

Interesting, and somebody said this new requirement has been in place since last year. I had my WP renewed in April without a syph test. I am in BKK.

In March this year I was required to do the Syphilis test for my WP renewal. I did it in Bangkapi in Bangkok at Viparam Private Clinic. They took my blood in the morning and issued me with my certificate 2 hours Later. I also discovered that social security does not cover this test and I had to pay the 600 Baht consultation and lab fee.

So they drew blood and "bled" me financially for it. :P

Edited by Afronaught

• 9 months later...

I am about to renew my work permit on July 10th, and my employer said "new rules are a med cert with a syphilis test".

I had to have blood drawn, and waited just 15 min for the results, cost was just 220 baht in Laksi, BKK. Hope this helps.

Interesting, and somebody said this new requirement has been in place since last year. I had my WP renewed in April without a syph test. I am in BKK.

For new applications it has been in effect for a while ... for renewals it went into effect last week. I submitted my 2 year renewal on the day that they announced the change and picked it up 2 days later (I went and got a test just in case) but I was not asked for it. Went into the MoL office and left 10 minutes later after paying the 6k baht for the 2 year renewal.

edit --- in Chiang Mai

Edited by jdinasia

In March this year I was required to do the Syphilis test for my WP renewal. I did it in Bangkapi in Bangkok at Viparam Private Clinic. They took my blood in the morning and issued me with my certificate 2 hours Later. I also discovered that social security does not cover this test and I had to pay the 600 Baht consultation and lab fee.

So they drew blood and "bled" me financially for it. :P

It's cheapest to go to any small clinic.