Car And Truck Sale Behind Carfour

westbounder

Carrefour is on the superhighway. Take the Doi Saket road out of town pass McCormick and the Arcade bus turn off to the intersection with the superhighway. Make a right hand turn and you will be on the frontage road and parallel with the super highway going south Carrefour will be on your left about half a kilometer down. The auction is area is on the back side of Carrefour on the north. You will have to go out the back entrance and turn left and about 100 meters on your left is their office where you can get information . The auction used to be on Fridays. Cars, Trucks and bikes.

Carrefour is on the superhighway. Take the Doi Saket road out of town pass McCormick and the Arcade bus turn off to the intersection with the superhighway. Make a right hand turn and you will be on the frontage road and parallel with the super highway going south Carrefour will be on your left about half a kilometer down. The auction is area is on the back side of Carrefour on the north. You will have to go out the back entrance and turn left and about 100 meters on your left is their office where you can get information . The auction used to be on Fridays. Cars, Trucks and bikes.

Interesting, thanks gotlost. smile.gif

There are plenty of cars and trucks behind Carrefour - but don't bother.

Most of it is garbage - some of these cars have been out in the sun and rain for years and they still want top Baht for them.

I have been to some of their "Auctions" and after seeing what crap they are trying to sell at the end decided to buy a second hand pickup through a friends recommendation - had it for 2 years now and never a problem. The cars behind Carrefour are like the repossessed houses and land the banks are selling - if there is anything worthwhile buying it goes to relatives and friends of the banksters the rest is left for the general public.

If you should find something suitable make sure you have it checked by a mechanic and be prepared that all parts that need replacement through wear & tear will actually need to be replaced - most people here just drive - they never have there cars checked or serviced until something is wrong.

Sometimes one can find something suitable - but in general second hand cars in Thailand are overpriced - it usually pays to cough up a bit extra cash and buy new you will find that if you calculate the money you will have to put into a second hand car there is not much difference. Good luck !

There are plenty of cars and trucks behind Carrefour - but don't bother.

Most of it is garbage - some of these cars have been out in the sun and rain for years and they still want top Baht for them.

I have been to some of their "Auctions" and after seeing what crap they are trying to sell at the end decided to buy a second hand pickup through a friends recommendation - had it for 2 years now and never a problem. The cars behind Carrefour are like the repossessed houses and land the banks are selling - if there is anything worthwhile buying it goes to relatives and friends of the banksters the rest is left for the general public.

If you should find something suitable make sure you have it checked by a mechanic and be prepared that all parts that need replacement through wear & tear will actually need to be replaced - most people here just drive - they never have there cars checked or serviced until something is wrong.

Sometimes one can find something suitable - but in general second hand cars in Thailand are overpriced - it usually pays to cough up a bit extra cash and buy new you will find that if you calculate the money you will have to put into a second hand car there is not much difference. Good luck !

I disagree with that. There are cars and motorbikes at the auctions (Big C has them too) that are less than a year old that have been repossessed and are available at auction. But don't bother as the process is very confusing, completely unlike auctions in the USA or the U.K. or in other European countries that I have participated in. Don't even consider it unless you have a very knowledgeable Thai doing the bidding for you. Having been to about 7 of them when I was looking for a car, I believe the auctions are rigged with sealed bids being handed in while the same bidders are also submitting open bids on the floor and making all kinds of unusual hand signals to the auctioneer. The vast majority of quality cars, trucks, and motorbikes always seemed to go to the same 3 or 4 bidders who were obviously re-sellers. Also you have to put up a non-refundable deposit and there is no real opportunity to have a mechanic thoroughly inspect the vehicle you are interested in before-hand.

If you do your homework you can find very good cars, trucks, and motorcycles available 2nd hand. I spent 3 or 4 months looking and when I found something I liked I arranged for the seller to meet me at the mechanic's where he inspected the car for me. Many of them had the odometer turned back. Eventually I found a car that had very low km for the right price. It just takes some effort.

• 5 months later...

Not absolutely sure, but kind of think that there is a weekly one (on weekends?) behind Rimping Market, in the RaumChok parking area... the big covered building in the middle of the parking lot. I know they have motorcys for sale as a couple of friends bought them there and i believe autos also. Check it out on Saturday.

Not absolutely sure, but kind of think that there is a weekly one (on weekends?) behind Rimping Market, in the RaumChok parking area... the big covered building in the middle of the parking lot. I know they have motorcys for sale as a couple of friends bought them there and i believe autos also. Check it out on Saturday.

Thanks, I know about that one. It's the auction I'm looking for info on.

[Thanks, I know about that one. It's the auction I'm looking for info on.

There is a car auction at Carrefour Chaingmai generally the last Friday of the month

if you ring Union-Auction (Google)they will give you details of the auction

Just some things to be aware of. Most of the better vehicle will be bought up by dealers. If you do not speak Thai its better to have someone with you that does. And if you do decide to purchase a vehicle you will by as is and make sure there is a registration book for that vehicle before you hand over any money or you will be SOL.

They used to be on Thursday's as I recall.

But I would not advise buying a car at one of the auctions. As gotlost stated, if you don't speak Thai, forget it. I observed about 7 of them at Carrefour and 2 at Big C when I was looking for a car. Even the Thais I brought with me concluded that the auctions were rigged. At all of the auctions, the same 3 or 4 people won all the best cars and motorcycles. Even if you bring a Thai speaker, unless they are familiar with the process they will never understand what is happening. There is a very unusual system here with those same 3 or 4 bidders using a combination of sealed bids, open bids on the floor, hand signals and the number sign. I've participated in numerous auctions in European countries and in the USA. I've never seen anything like the way they are conducted here. Also, getting the keys for a mechanic you bring with you to inspect the car is close to impossible except for about 5 minutes before the bidding starts. Other issues are a non-refundable deposit must be lodged, etc.

A much better way to buy a used car is through one of the many used car websites in C.M. That way you can arrange for the seller to meet you at your mechanics shop and have the car inspected (including checking the odometer to see if it has been rolled back which is common here).

Edited by elektrified

They used to be on Thursday's as I recall.

But I would not advise buying a car at one of the auctions. As gotlost stated, if you don't speak Thai, forget it. I observed about 7 of them at Carrefour and 2 at Big C when I was looking for a car. Even the Thais I brought with me concluded that the auctions were rigged. At all of the auctions, the same 3 or 4 people won all the best cars and motorcycles. Even if you bring a Thai speaker, unless they are familiar with the process they will never understand what is happening. There is a very unusual system here with those same 3 or 4 bidders using a combination of sealed bids, open bids on the floor, hand signals and the number sign. I've participated in numerous auctions in European countries and in the USA. I've never seen anything like the way they are conducted here. Also, getting the keys for a mechanic you bring with you to inspect the car is close to impossible except for about 5 minutes before the bidding starts. Other issues are a non-refundable deposit must be lodged, etc.

A much better way to buy a used car is through one of the many used car websites in C.M. That way you can arrange for the seller to meet you at your mechanics shop and have the car inspected (including checking the odometer to see if it has been rolled back which is common here).

Thanks for the tips. I have found out that the next auction is on Mar. 23. I also have attended many used goods and antique auctions in Canada. I intended to have my ladyfriend with me to translate and try to get a handle on the proceedings. I'm not necessarily looking for the 'best' cars in the sale and I'm a car guy/restorer with piles of tools. I know what I'm looking at.