House Committee Investigates Men In Black At Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

House Committee Investigates Men in Black at Suvannabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- The House Military Affairs Committee has launched an investigation regarding suspicious men in black who were seen illegally closing off a parking structure at Suvannabhumi International Airport.

Some members of the committee believe that some high-ranking military officers were involved in the incident.

In Parliament during the House Military Affairs Committee hearing, presided over by Nakhon Ratchasima MP Police Colonel Somchai Pesprasert, the investigation into the incident involving hundreds of suspicious men in black who barricaded a parking structure at Suvannabhumi Airport began.

Representatives of the Airport of Thailand or AOT, police and armed forces were summoned to testify at the hearing.

An AOT official pointed out that the Parking Management Company had been granted concession to manage airport parking lots and has already made a primary payment of 16.5 million baht.

However, an internal dispute was cited as a reason by the company when it failed to make the second payment.

In consequence, the AOT has confiscated the 66 million baht in rent and insurance for violating the contract.

Meanwhile, law enforcement authorities in the area lamented that there was not enough manpower to arrest all of the men.

Police were able to arrest around 30 suspects out of the near hundreds present at the scene.

Many of the suspects have been identified as taxi drivers, repudiating claims that there were soldiers.

The police have only been able to file charges against two of the men.

Meanwhile, many members of the committee have said that they believe that high ranking military officers were involved in the incident and have asked the police to investigate the speculation further.

The committee indicated that such an incident could be considered an organized crime offense which could tarnish the image of the armed forces.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-08

footer_n.gif

Related topic:

Zone 2 Parking Lot At Suvarnabhumi Airport Closed Off By Armed Men

"involving hundreds of suspicious men in black" -- Initial reports said 40. It will be reported as a thousand soon.

"The committee indicated that such an incident could be considered an organized crime offense which could tarnish the image of the armed forces." -- their image can be tarnished???

Armed Men in Black - sound too familiar. The police said they had not enough man power to do the necessary arrest. What about getting the army in to control the situation and help in the arrest? Isn't Bangkok is still under SOE? These people are breaking the SOE rule and the authority seems to forget that this SOE is still in force and doing nothing much about the situation.

Sure, the House Committee will investigate the incident and at the end of the day, nothing will happen and case close.

Amazing Thailand isn't it.

"involving hundreds of suspicious men in black" -- Initial reports said 40. It will be reported as a thousand soon.

"The committee indicated that such an incident could be considered an organized crime offense which could tarnish the image of the armed forces." -- their image can be tarnished???

me not theenk so senor ha ha ha

Just like everything else connected with the POOlice or politics, we're in the stone age in Thailand. Once you accept that, you have no problems understanding Thais. Once again, any other country, the police would have descended and there would have been an armed standoff. But we have polite people in the police who are only in this line of work for tea money. They'll probably wind up giving them "protection" rather than charging The MIB with anything because they'll claim that they'll be hunted down by "unnamed" people similar to those 11 blokes that were found preparing for terrorism at a resort in Chiang Mai........

Let's see..."hundreds" of armed men take over a public facility. 30 are arrested at the scene, but only 2 have been charged? Something doesn't make sense here....

And how can you tarnish the image of the army. I laughed when I read that report saying 400 army generals are currently in inactive posts for a variety of reasons. 400!!!!!! Wow....in most other countries they would be gone....

Let's see..."hundreds" of armed men take over a public facility. 30 are arrested at the scene, but only 2 have been charged? Something doesn't make sense here....

And how can you tarnish the image of the army. I laughed when I read that report saying 400 army generals are currently in inactive posts for a variety of reasons. 400!!!!!! Wow....in most other countries they would be gone....

Yep - 100's outnumber local security and Police (that's a comforting thought for an international airport) yet 30 turns to 2 charged when seizure and armed threat means nothing in Thailand. No wonder this country is continually laughed at Internationally. Try walking anywhere as a Farang and be armed and see what happens, even if you are in black!

And it was stated the men in black were Taxi drivers? Right - another note taken. How pathetic this all is. And how did AOT take a 16.5M deposit and seize 66M? I love the way figures are just tossed around without substance or explanation. Unbelievable.

Yep - 100's outnumber local security and Police (that's a comforting thought for an international airport) yet 30 turns to 2 charged when seizure and armed threat means nothing in Thailand. No wonder this country is continually laughed at Internationally. Try walking anywhere as a Farang and be armed and see what happens, even if you are in black!

And it was stated the men in black were Taxi drivers? Right - another note taken. How pathetic this all is. And how did AOT take a 16.5M deposit and seize 66M? I love the way figures are just tossed around without substance or explanation. Unbelievable.

If I am not mistaken, a recent article stated there were several active and retired military officers involved who were running this "operation". And that most of the men in black were army personnel. Untouchable???? Very sad....

Where does it say the MIB were armed? It doesn't.

And arresting lots of folk and then releasing them without charge is quite common at protests throughout the world.

Most countries would not have 400 Generals I think. :)

The same thing happens in the UK. If there are too many protestors, football hooligans, or whatever, police just contain the situation. They often arrest the ringleaders but then don't bother charging anyone. It's not just Thailand. It happens everywhere. It has even happened at Heathrow Airport.

I have been to a few football matches where the police have ignored blatant violence and criminal damage. That's one reason I stopped going to matches.

All you jaded expats love to blame Thailand for everything. But your home countries are no better. If you were attacked in your own home in Uk and called the police, them might turn up a week later if you're lucky.

I once reported a crime as it was happening (theft from a phone box) and was told that they were too busy to attend. That is the reality.

Edited by w11guy

And arresting lots of folk and then releasing them without charge is quite common at protests throughout the world.

It Does. At the bottom of the OP.

Related topic: Zone 2 Parking Lot At Suvarnabhumi Airport Closed Off By Armed Men http://www.thaivisa....f-by-armed-men/
Edited by whybother

These folks need to establish an anti-terror agency to handle these types of incidents.

Think full swat with tanks & whatever they need to quell riots. Anserable to the PM only.

Thai "police" are useless except at directing traffic.

Just like everything else connected with the POOlice or politics, we're in the stone age in Thailand. Once you accept that, you have no problems understanding Thais. Once again, any other country, the police would have descended and there would have been an armed standoff. But we have polite people in the police who are only in this line of work for tea money. They'll probably wind up giving them "protection" rather than charging The MIB with anything because they'll claim that they'll be hunted down by "unnamed" people similar to those 11 blokes that were found preparing for terrorism at a resort in Chiang Mai........

a few years ago men in black cleared out the bars, massage joints and other businesses on Sukumvit at the corner of Soi 10....the empty site became a park dedicated to the king of massage parlours who parleyed his book of payments to Huay Kwang police to fame....Can you remember his name?

It Does. At the bottom of the OP.

Related topic: Zone 2 Parking Lot At Suvarnabhumi Airport Closed Off By Armed Men http://www.thaivisa....f-by-armed-men/

not armed? what planet do you live on?

a few years ago men in black cleared out the bars, massage joints and other businesses on Sukumvit at the corner of Soi 10....the empty site became a park dedicated to the king of massage parlours who parleyed his book of payments to Huay Kwang police to fame....Can you remember his name?

I remember that well. Soi 10 was my favorite hangout. Used the internet cafe there and played pool several times a week. The place was bulldozed by a group hired by Chuwit, a massage parlor baron. He turned the place into a park. He "hired" a local army officer who brought his armed men in black in to take care of the place. Police tried to get him, but he hid on the army base. Nothing ever happened and lots of poor folks lost their jobs and equipment. Sad...I knew the internet guy quite well and he lost everything.

Here is a link that shows the aftermath:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/214575-bangkok-parks/page__view__findpost__p__2239480

Seems using armed men is black is a common thing here? Along with getting away with the crime....

These folks need to establish an anti-terror agency to handle these types of incidents.

Think full swat with tanks & whatever they need to quell riots. Anserable to the PM only.

I agree, but I hadn't noticed their usefulness at directing traffic. I'll keep an eye out for skilled traffic cops next time I'm out driving!

I'm sorry ... do you have some evidence that the Thai police have actually had some success in directing traffic?

"The committee indicated that such an incident could be considered an organized crime offense which could tarnish the image of the armed forces"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Armed Men in Black - sound too familiar. The police said they had not enough man power to do the necessary arrest. What about getting the army in to control the situation and help in the arrest? Isn't Bangkok is still under SOE? These people are breaking the SOE rule and the authority seems to forget that this SOE is still in force and doing nothing much about the situation.

Sure, the House Committee will investigate the incident and at the end of the day, nothing will happen and case close.

Amazing Thailand isn't it.

Since when the police can be trusted. Police are like gangs, they have hands off policy as long as their territory is not disturbed

His name is Chuwit and his nickname is 'The Crazy Man'; Google him. He's an American at heart and is very plainspoken/outspoken. From Wikki, "In January 2003, Chuwit was accused of having hired some 600 men to raze several bars, shops, a laundry and a travel agency on "Sukhumvit Square", a plot of land he owns at Sukhumvit Soi 10. This was an apparent attempt to remove the low rent tenants so the land could be developed. The tenants had been led to believe they had valid leases from another company and were not notified of the raid, which took place very early on a Sunday morning. Chuwit was arrested and spent a month in jail. He denied responsibility and was finally released on bail."

I must have been asleep or something - when did they master the art of directing traffic?