We Wanted A Farang Name For Our Kid

taxidriver

My daughter was born in Udon Thani, and she has a Farang first name, Thai middle name, and Farang family name.

No problems with anyone, hospital, Amphur, or passport. The hospital would not finalize the birth certificate until my wife and I had reviewed it and confirmed everything was spelled as we wanted it.

When we went to register my daughter Lucy in Chiang Rai, the official said that she had to have a Thai Name. I don't think that there is any law as such, but they did have a book of names that they tried to look up Lucy in. When he couldn't find the name, he wouldn't accept it. His female boss (who was cooing over Lucy whilst this was going on), asked me what the name Lucy meant, I told her it meant light, and she told him to register the name. He wasn't too happy, but she insisted.

No money changed hands! Just a beaurocrat trying to make his mark.

Edited by JAG

Interesting...

My sons farang name (Dennis) was not written on the birth certificate just because they were not sure how to spell it, so he only have his Thai name on the paper now.

Many scary stories of how to change misspelled names on these certificates - but how about adding a farang name?? :o - I bet it is impossible??

I'm about to get him a swedish passport and would I be able to just add his farang name, when applying, even if it not is stated on the b-certificate?

Anyone?

Edh

My daughter was born in Udon Thani, and she has a Farang first name, Thai middle name, and Farang family name. 

No problems with anyone, hospital, Amphur, or passport.  The hospital would not finalize the birth certificate until my wife and I had reviewed it and confirmed everything was spelled as we wanted it.

Interesting they let your son have a middle name. When my wife went to change her ID cared and tambien baan to my surnmame, I suggested to her she do the western custom of using her maiden name as a middle name. When she tried to do this at the amphur (pretty remote) they had nver heard of a middle name and it was not allowed anyway. I did not press the issue.

TH