Thai ICT Ministry May Further Control The Internet

webfact

In a few years we'll see ads that say:

"WELCOME TO THAYANMAR - JUST A GENERALLY GOOD COUNTRY. Generals control the government. Generals control the media. Generals control the internet. Generals control all business, large and small. And where the Generals are trying to control your every thought.

Please remember to tip generously the tuk-tuk & taxi mafia, as they have to have something left for their families after they pay the Generals for the lease of their vehicles.

And enjoy our beautiful women who are affectionately known as General Bar Girls, as they generously donate half their earnings to the General Retirement Fund, which is for Generals only, of course.

If you have any problems at all in our beautiful country, you can file a General Complaint Form. However, if not filled out exactly as required, and in Thai, you could be subject to filing a false report which, under our General Law can mean life imprisonment or a firing squad.

Thank you and enjoy your stay."

:D And why are Generals unusually wealthy, generally speaking of course. I mean, were they generally wealthy before they were made Generals, or is the position of General only given to generally wealthy people?

Or is it generally the case that Generals get wealthy once they become Generals?

If so, their pay must be pretty generous.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... the UK is the most surveiled country on earth)

Its News to me!

Can you produce the Evidence on that statement.?

Really, a surprise? Well back in 2006 a group of academics with the title the Surveillance Studies Network, presented a report to the 28th International Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners' Conference in London, hosted by the Information Commissioner's Office. As exemplars, the report provides the following pieces of data:-

4.2 million CCTV cameras in the UK, which equates to 1 for every 14 people.

a person may be captured on over 300 cameras in a day.

By the by Privacy International literally applies the colour black to the UK [an Endemic Surveillance Society] in terms of being viewed as the worst country in the EU in terms of privacy protection.

Regards

PS This was when the then UK Data Commissioner used the phrase "sleep-walk[ing] into a surveillance society".

Source McCahill, M. and Norris, C. (2003), 'Estimating the extent, sophistication and legality of CCTV in London', in M. Gill (ed.) CCTV, Perpetuity Press.

Source Norris, C and Armstrong, G. (1999), The Maximum Surveillance Society: The Rise of Closed Circuit Television, Oxford:Berg.:42

Most of the CCTV Camera's are placed in the inner Cities,to prevent,and apprehend Terrorists,and prevent attacks,and there has been enough of those attacks In London over the years to name but one City,in the UK.

CCTV numbered 10,000 in London at the last count.and they are also used for traffic jam report purposes,crime fighting etc.

The population of London is 7.5- 8 Million,that works out at 1 Camera to every 800 Citizens,that hardly works out at 1 to every 14 Citizens as the Author states,considering London would certainly have the most Cameras installed,than any other single area of the UK.

Also the above figures,were they counting Business?,that routinely Protect their property by CCTV? a full breakdown of the

CCTV figures and uses,would need to done to show what could be classed as Spy Cameras,per se,as the study implies.

I dont believe these Cameras are to Spy on Citizens Owellian style,which is a different thing entirely.

I fully agree with Citizens Privacy,but on the street,going about your business is hardly Private in my view.

As usual figures can be massaged to suit any point of view.

Edited by MAJIC

Good news, as there are many criminals lurking around in the internet.

Bit naive are we ?

I've watched chantorn posts before. I believe the intent is just to get a rise out of farangs.

Rise is correct something is comming the last 1.5 months have brough some insight. About 3 weeks ago I could no longer access any outside secured sites (https), this continued for 3 days. Just this week there has been some issues accessing FTP servers. While I know its nothing new for the amateurs at my internet service provider to play and experiment with the lines and routers on a live server as opposed to a test server I get the feeling they are getting ready to filter even more.

Freedom of speech.

This GOP House Candidate would be jailed in Germany:

''I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things.''

—Ohio GOP House candidate and Tea Party favorite Rich Iott, explaining why for years he donned a German Waffen SS uniform and participated in Nazi re-enactments as part of a group that calls itself Wiking (Atlantic interview, Oct. 2010)

No, I have seen permission being given to re-enactment groups in Germany too in the past. And the hola-baloo now in the US about the hobby is ridiculous. One cannot possible have a WW2 re-enactment without having both sides represented on the battle field.

Freedom of speech.

This GOP House Candidate would be jailed in Germany:

''I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things.''

—Ohio GOP House candidate and Tea Party favorite Rich Iott, explaining why for years he donned a German Waffen SS uniform and participated in Nazi re-enactments as part of a group that calls itself Wiking (Atlantic interview, Oct. 2010)

No, I have seen permission being given to re-enactment groups in Germany too in the past. And the hola-baloo now in the US about the hobby is ridiculous. One cannot possible have a WW2 re-enactment without having both sides represented on the battle field.

I know a guy in the US who sells German WW2 costumes bought by people who do these re-enactments, and those who arrange costumes for movies etc. He's got no problem with demand, but Paypal refuse to do business with him because of it.

Land of the Free

Thailand does not mean "Land of the Free."

The word Thai actually means people....:jap:

We bus, free train, free school, free electricity, free water, and most import of all, free 2,000 baht when Mark step in. I won't call it vote buying, would you?

Land of the Free

We bus, free train, free school, free electricity, free water, and most import of all, free 2,000 baht when Mark step in. I won't call it vote buying, would you?

Nothing is ever really free because everything has a cost and someone is paying for it. "No fee" is probably a better term. All of those free things you mentioned are being subsidized by someone else. The wealthy may pay taxes, but usually pass on those taxes to the less fortunate in one form or another.

Bit naive are we ?

"Bit" would be a gross understatement.

Don't be too harsh on her,.. she's just being Thai. Raised in a culture where commons sense and civil rights are not comprehended, and where false logic is applied to everything.

Brilliant. May I use your insights to explain Thai thinking? Or maybe I can use it as a mantra to remind myself why it is that I can not understand Thai behavior/thinking?

Cheers,

K

how does a site that shows naked images of models qualify as a site deemed a threat to national security and the monarchy institution?( as was the site I was looking at until yesterday ) Take a walk down most streets in thailand and see it for real...Stop criminals my arse...anal retentives!!

Maybe the "controlers" want/want more BAHT to open various sights. I mean this is Land of Scams = LOS is it not?

Morality/ethics/ TRUTH is NOT a priority here. Or am I misguided?

how does a site that shows naked images of models qualify as a site deemed a threat to national security and the monarchy institution?( as was the site I was looking at until yesterday ) Take a walk down most streets in thailand and see it for real...Stop criminals my arse...anal retentives!!

Maybe the "controlers" want/want more BAHT to open various sights. I mean this is Land of Scams = LOS is it not?

Morality/ethics/ TRUTH is NOT a priority here. Or am I misguided?

Perfectly on the mark!

Bit naive are we ?

I've watched chantorn posts before. I believe the intent is just to get a rise out of farangs.

yes.. i was going to say the exact same thing... it's a wind up comment or a "if you don't like it go home" comment almost every time post-4641-1156693976.gif

I always do not see the reason on why a lot of free web tv must be blocked.

My guess was that HI O Silver must be something bad so the lone stranger must be the bad guy.

Edited by lockman

Land of the Free

Nothing is ever really free because everything has a cost and someone is paying for it. "No fee" is probably a better term. All of those free things you mentioned are being subsidized by someone else. The wealthy may pay taxes, but usually pass on those taxes to the less fortunate in one form or another.

Also less wealthy people pay taxes. As a foreigner working legally in Thailand I pay tax, but no way I can pass on costs to others here. Still wondering about the THB 76 billion handed out by k. Thaksin for the THB 1M village funds.

Also less wealthy people pay taxes. As a foreigner working legally in Thailand I pay tax, but no way I can pass on costs to others here. Still wondering about the THB 76 billion handed out by k. Thaksin for the THB 1M village funds.

What was the topic again?

What was the topic again?

Freedom of speech and why it shouldn't apply to some ;) ?

Edited by rubl

Anone having a cheap go at the Royals or any other respectable public figure should get the same dose of medicine you would get if you did it on here. Punished

But why oh Why do countries spend so much time and money blocking sites like adults sites gambling sites etc/

Adults should have the right to do as they wish if it harms no one but themselves. if that's what they want to do,It's their lives at the end of the day.

No one seems to be doing anything about the amount of misleading sites con men are puting up day after day making it near impossible to find what you are looking for.

Try searching for X and Y comes up offering insurance ets and it's got nothing to do with what you were looking for.

If someone is in the news they use their name to to bring up their site where they are selling some crappy product or to get hits which make them money.

Try finding a missing windows file, or after catching malware, spyware a virus etc. try and find the file removal intructions etc

what do you get.?

Page after page after page of people telling you blatant lies that their registry fixer will cure your problem. Put in sh-i-t.exe and they'll say download it here.

Of course their program finds 100's problems and the only way you can remove them is buy there product. You panic you buy it you just been robbed and you still got the malware to attend to.

Misrepresentaion is a crime. Losing you wages playing poker isn't in most countries that's a choice. (albeit a very stupid one)

The authorites and the ISP should be constantly blocking and removing these sites so their customer and citizens are protected,not trying to stop them googling sexy susan.

Consumers put Billions of dollars into paying for a service and instead of protecting them they censor them. Something aint right.