Jeep Cherokee

Hi Folks....I've always liked the Jeep Cherokees...particularly the 4 door models. A new one here is over a million I would imagine but a used one in good shape should be considerably cheaper. I've never heard any complaints about them in the USA when I lived there.

Does anybody on TV own a Jeep Cherokee or have experience with them? Do they come with a manual transmission or are they all autos? V6 vs V8 engines? Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Jeeps aren't bad, however they've just about closed all the Jeep dealerships in Thailand, they are probably THE car with the highest depreciation in Thailand. You'll have to shop around to find a place for service and parts.

Not bad value though, you can pick up a 2001ish model Cherokee full loaded for around 700K, and a current shape Grand Cherokee for around 1 million-ish Baht. Compare that to other similar cars and not a bad buy.

Stick with the 4.0L straight 6, the 4.7 V8 that's in one of the Grand Cherokees is not really nessasary for this country.

The 4 liter limited model....is great! You can find 5-7 year old models for around 380-500 k. The thing with most owners is that after a while, you are just spending too much on gasoline...being an Automatic, 4 liter engine, heavy as a tank. On the plus side, the options and leather interior are top notch....Great fun to drive...smooth, enough power...reliable..a classic!

There is also a 2.5 liter engine in the same body. Probably a better option, in regards to the increasing petrol prices and constant road congestions.

Exactly, that is why it is a better alternative, as well as having a less thirsty smaller engine.

A stick is no problem for me and in fact I prefer a stick transmission over an automatic. They're less likely to break down, provide better acceleration/fuel economy and they also tend to last longer. If something does go wrong it's much cheaper to fix than an automatic and the purchase price is a lot lower. Many cars and trucks I've seen here will show a price difference of 70,000 baht between a stick and an auto. Many say driving a stick makes you feel closer to the car and I agree. I grew up in a suburban area of South Florida with virtually no public transportation so driving was a must. Plus, I enjoy it.

Thanks for all your responses thus far! :o

they are ageing american clunkers with jurassic technology and a heavy thirst , if thats what you mean by "a classic" , then go ahead and buy one.

in the 6 cylinder version , the cylinder furthest from the radiator has cooling problems that stem from blocked oilways that can lead to warped heads and big bills.

for the money a better bet would be a new or newish thai built pickup.

go old american at your peril.

happy motoring. :o

Lazy Sod...my brother-in-law has a 2003 Ford Ranger 4wd with a cab/side doors. I believe the price was listed at 684,000 baht but he got a clearance deal for 100,000 cheaper. The Rangers here are nearly as big as an F-150 in the States. The ride is ok but the cab is rather uncomfortable. My father-in-law has a 2001 Toyota Hilux Tiger which has a smaller body than the Ranger but offers a more comfortable cab and it handles well.

It's a tough choice since we really need a family vehicle (baby on the way). I like the tougher suspension and reliability/longetivity of the diesel pickups but the bed space is kind of a waste plus the taxes are quite high; particularly on 4 door models. Cars offer more people space, safer/better handling and they're often more comfortable than the pickups. The trouble is, gas is expensive and the cars are REALLY expensive....the good ones that is. Some of these city cars appear to be a bit on the weak side and the prices are higher in proportion to the quality than they should be. I recently sat inside the top model of the Nissan Sunny Neo and the back seats were not much better than sitting in a pickup truck cab. This car costs around 800,000 baht. Toyotas can't be beaten for availability of parts/service but many of the smaller/cheaper cars cannot match the comfort of the American cars.

Sport Riders are nice and finding parts would be easy. The dealership Expat Motors recommends a used Sport Rider as a good, all around family vehicle. Brand new, they're way out of our price range but a five year old one is quite affordable. I would be wary about buying a used car here unless it was from somebody we know personally. As in the States, most people don't take particularly good care of their cars and will often run them into the ground before selling them. "Certified used cars" and "Ten point inspections" or whatever they say in the US is just a cover-up...dealerships often perform minimal inspections on used vehicles. They say the best bet is to get a trusted mechanic to put the car up on a lift and inspect it from there. Many of the used car troubles don't surface until some time after you've purchased the car. I once had a used Honda Prelude which turned into a real money pit within months after I bought it.

Perhaps Expat Motors is an exception to the typical used car dealership and will actually make sure their customers are getting a good deal.

I have had the Cherokee 4.0 Limited Auto for 8 years now and will probably keep it till the wheels fall off. Yes it is thirsty but it is one of those cars you fall in love with and it has become a part of the family.

I have had the Cherokee 4.0 Limited Auto for 8 years now and will probably keep it till the wheels fall off. Yes it is thirsty but it is one of those cars you fall in love with and it has become a part of the family.

I've seen quite a few pick-ups and taxis recently where the wheels have just fallen off, and they're abandoned at the side of the raod. Makes you wonder about some of these dodgy mechanics!!!

Ahhhh, my favorite-CARs :o

With 20 cm ground clearance it´s a perfect car for the sticks.Self-closing differentials and short overhang will make it run easily off-road.But the Grand-Cherokee is anyways more a car for cruising downtown with it´s very own "chic".The interior looks a little to cheap, especially the plastic and the unkind "wood" application on the dashboard.But almost all are fully loaded, with all kind of electric helpers.Always keep in mind, the more electric the more can break-down.

The best choice to me would be the powerful 163hp CRD with 5.cylinders, that´ll keep you under 10l/100km.Don´t go for the Otto-engines it´s not only that they are thirsty for gasoline, the engines are leaking oil.

Have a careful look for the exhaust manifold, that´s a weak point.Check the shaft-drives and break-disks.And then you´ll know how the car was treated by the owner before , it´s a heavy car and when it´s been running very often at top speed or overloaded,these parts are mechanically worn out.

The transmission loses oil from time to time, periodic maintenance is a must as the automatic is the most expensive spare part.

The transmission loses oil from time to time, periodic maintenance is a must as the automatic is the most expensive spare part.

You're right about that! Once the automatic transmission goes you're in for a big repair bill. From what I understand, rebuilt automatic transmissions don't last too long. If the mechanic who changes the fluid doesn't replace the gasket that can easily destroy all the gears. Most transmission problems are the result of how folks drive them I think but some are certainly better than others. We were lucky with our Dodge Grand Caravan back in the States...those minivans have a reputation for chewing up transmissions like bubble gum but ours had been taken care of by the previous owner (my dad) so we had no problems.

Sportrider's ride quality is nowhere as soft and comfortable as of regular cars. Believe me, I drive one. Apart from that it's pretty good and we bought it because of three rows of seats where we can pack all our extended family. 2.5 l D4D engine, 2wd, is enough most of the time. Was 900k new. Earlier models had SR5 engine, not quite the same.

Buy a car with a full service history, it's not very difficult, most middle class Thais watch after their cars for the first couple of years very well and budget for repairs/replacements/maintanance etc.

Hi ThaiBoxer,

Just been reading this thread, i actually posted my Jeep for sale yesterday on the Classified forum. I have been the owner for the last 3 years and the previouse owner was a rich old Thai lady who had another 6 cars in her garage!!

The car has been excellent, i have had it seviced every 5000 km and have the full service history... And to correct previous posts..the Spare Parts are not expensive at all!!

Anyway, if you are still looking around just let me know... you are more than welcome to come see mine and have a drive around the block...

I really don't want to sell it but will probably be relocated pretty soon..

You can ciontact me at:

[email protected]

Cheer

Chris

post-21309-1124040592_thumb.jpg

post-21309-1124040618_thumb.jpg