Tot Adsl Service Slow/Unstable For Anyone But Me?

madsb

Hi,

First post here. I'm staying with my wife and 2 kids for a couple of months in Plai Laem, trying to escape the bad weather in Denmark :-) We've rented a house with an existing TOT ADSL line.

My problem is that I have internet connectivity problems here in Plai Laem... connecting through TOT, but connection has been slow as molasses the last many days, finally disconnecting me completely this morning. Right now I'm online again but unsure of how long it will last.

Anyone here experiencing the same, or is it just me? I'm thinking they may be having problems because of the rain.

Tried calling the TOT office in Bophut, but they're probably closed for the Saturday (the weekend?). Does anybody know who I can contact about this?

it very well may be due to rain but the only solution is to call the english speaking service center line in bkk. you'll find it on each monthly bill. typically they will call you back within 24 hours to ask if you are still having problems and then 24 hours later someone will show up to inspect.

Nobody or TOT customer service, but that is a complete waste of time, money and energy.

Because that's quite normal here. TOT sometimes, but not too often, is off, like early morning today and what might be slow for you is normal here as well. You have to be patient and live with that or change the provider.

That depends on the first 3 telephone numbers, which are not the same everywhere in Plai Laem. Some numbers seemed to be more fragile than others, like mine which had to be fixed somewhere in Choeng Mon, said the technician. But that was quite a while ago this year and before that, when it didn't work for days.

Hi,

Call TOT service center. The number is 1100, then dial 9 for English. I'm living in a small village in the center of Thailand and have been with TOT for five years now. First dial-up, then satellite (a disaster) and now ADSL 4 mb. Effective speed 3.5m mb, all the time. I am extremely happy with TOT, their customer service is second to none and complaints are addressed almost immediately.

Good luck!

No matter which provider you use you will suffer periods of either no internet or very slow internet. Get used to it. A tip is to get a USB air card that uses the mobile phone network to access the internet when yours is either down or very slow. my TOT has been very hit and miss since the bad weather hit. I had none for 3 days but it has come back now and seems OK. The bonus is that after complaining to TOT about it they are upgrading me to 6 MBS for free.

Hi guys,

Sorry about the late answer.

I think I may have a problem with noise on the phone line. Connection is very unstable, and for the past week I've been kicked off entirely from about 4 in the afternoon to 11 in the evening. I checked the router web interface, and my SNR is about 4-5 in general, 9-10 at best with an attenuation rate of 45. That is pretty bad as I understand it.

I called TOT customer service on 1100 (thanks, vanheusden!). They were very helpful and are going to send a technician out to see what's wrong.

Thanks all - will let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, seems it was a cable problem in the street. With the help of a friendly, thai-speaking neighbour I managed to get a TOT technician out to fix the line.

SNR and attenuation rate are now both at about 30. My SNR before was 4-7, so it's a huge improvement - my line actually works now.

Although for the past two days or so the connection has been slow, but that is probably just standard TOT fluctuations (from what I can gather around the forum here).

Thanks, all, for your comments.

No matter which provider you use you will suffer periods of either no internet or very slow internet. Get used to it. A tip is to get a USB air card that uses the mobile phone network to access the internet when yours is either down or very slow. my TOT has been very hit and miss since the bad weather hit. I had none for 3 days but it has come back now and seems OK. The bonus is that after complaining to TOT about it they are upgrading me to 6 MBS for free.

Hot-dang! Could this be why my torr(cough)ents have suddenly gone off the scale? I thought it was just the new router that I bought after waiting 5 days for the TOT engineer to come back to replace a faulty router power supply. For FREE? Without you/me having to yell and stomp and fill out forms? What's got into them? Just as I was thinking of going off to join 3BB - OH - THAT's what's got into them!

R

post-4665-0-60912900-1292155707_thumb.jp