Question About Minimum Salary And Non-b Visa

I’m an English teacher who is working in one of the government universities. It is the kamphaeng Phet Rajabaht University in Kamphaeng Phet University. I came here in last July 2005 and started my work in 10th July. I got non-immigrant visa from the thai embassy in my country. The agent sent some necessary documents to the embassy in my country and I directly got the non-immigrant visa type-B. At that time, I didn’t know about the regulations about the minimum salary to the teachers. They offered me 180000 bahts and I accepted. I’m Burmese nationality. I signed the contract in 14th July. However, only at two days ago, I knew this information. I felt sorry for my contract. To quit from the job, I have to inform them in three months advance (according to the contract).

What I understand is I should get minimum 25000 bahts per month. Moreover, Now I would also like to change to another job. So could you kindly please advise me what I should do concerning with this matter? Can I ask the salary 25000 bahts from the board of University? Can I quit from this job without working anymore for another three months?

I deeply appreciate your advice and eagerly looking forward to your advice.

Yours respectfully,

Mr. Hlaing Myint Htut

I was at one point last year, offered the very same position that Hlaing Myint Htut seems to hold. The offer was for 25,000 Baht and I am a native English speaker. No! I apologize to my English forum brothers, I am a native American speaker. In any case, much to the dismay of my Thai wife, I turned the opportunity down and have not looked back.

The Thai schools, especially, the government institutions, must learn if they want quality teachers, then they must pay at least according to the requirements of the law or more. I live here on a very comfortable U.S. Government retirement and it would take at least the Thai Government's minimum salary of 60,000 Baht (for Americans) , to make me get out of bed so early on a daily basis.

If we have to pay increased air fares and increased park fees, then we should also enjoy the increased salaries, commensurate with the cost of our eduction in our home countries. Unfortunately some Thai seem to think that charging the farang double for services is OK and paying him or her less than the government's minimum salary requirement is OK. Then when a rule has been found to have been violated, the farang is the one to be punished, when in reality the school should be admonished and fined.

Good luck! Hlaing Myint Htut and feel free to PM me.

I would have disguised your identity and location Hlaing Myint Htut, because Ithink that there are other teachers at your school that freqeunt this forum. Now your problem may become compounded or it may be solved for you alltogether. Not like there are many of you that fit the description you provided to the readers

That 60k per year is not a minimum salary requirement but only a guide for extension of stay by immigration; and in any case is not required for several occupational groups - many teaching positions being among them.

The minimum salary is the same for all and is determined by your location (and a whole lot less than 25k per month - less than 200 baht per day everywhere). :o

I would have disguised your identity and location Hlaing Myint Htut, because Ithink that there are other teachers at your school that freqeunt this forum.  Now your problem may become compounded or it may be solved for you alltogether.  Not like there are many of you that fit the description you provided to the readers

Mouse. Thank you for your advise. it is my mistake. I think the western teacher in my school do not know about it. should i talk this matter to them.

What I understand is I should get minimum 25000 bahts per month. Moreover, Now I would also like to change to another job. So could you kindly please advise me what I should do concerning with this matter? Can I ask the salary 25000 bahts from the board of University? Can I quit from this job without working anymore for another three months?

If you want to quit your teaching job because you want to start employment elsewhere, I suggest you give the required three months' notice and work these three months at the salary stated in the contract you signed.

I think the western teacher in my school do not know about it. should i talk this matter to them.

My suggestion is to let sleeping dogs lie, more so since you have already decided to quit anyway.

For all you know, your Western colleagues may be better qualified than you and thus are paid more than you, perhaps the THB 25,000 per month you consider to be some kind of legal minimum -- though whether this is really the case is another question -- or more.

My understanding is the same as Lopburis. The minimum salary mandated by law is less than 200baht per day ( I think it is about 185 baht for Bangkok) and varies according to the location, The figures the OP quotes are minimum salaries in order for a non-Thai to obtain a 1 year extension of stay to a visa.

I also believe that certain professions teaching being one of them that does not require this minimum to be paid in order for the employee to apply for such an extension.

The school in question is not under any legal requirement to pay this minimum figure that the OP posts.

If the OP feels that he is not being paid an apprpriate amount for his services he should leave but only after working the appropriate notice. It would have been more prudent to have checked the salaries being offered in the profession prior to signing a contract

Good luck

His English is a lot worse than iffy too.

His English may not be perfect, but he probably speaks thai a ###### of a lot better than you or I and will find it far easier to explain difficult concepts to his students in their native language. Thai students are incredibly lazy. From 4 years to 18 years they all have that dumb look on their faces waiting for the teacher to just give them the answers and we can blame it on rote learning but the reality is that the majority are lazy to think for themselves. By communicating in their language you can gradually teach them to think for themselves, well some of them at least.

Sadly, Burmese/Filipino teachers in Thailand are under valued and are considered lucky to gain employment here. 18,000 bht may not seem a lot to most of us but the Thai people are fully aware that this money is worth a great deal more in his home country Myanmar. In Myanmar 50 kyat is worth less than 2 bht so he is actually earning a small fortune in comparison.

Stick it out, dont complain too much, save all you can and then move on when you have completed your contract. Thats the general motto when working in Thailand

Chok dee khrap Ajarn Parma

Observant little chap aren't you?  His Thai would be non existent. He's Burmese.

...and Thais are known to be not too fond of anyone or anything Burmese. At least my wife (university-educated) says she still has not forgiven the Burmese for sacking Ayudhya, and a few other things, and somehow I can understand her.