Travel Insurance For Long Stay

Gazza1234

Hi all,

I was just wondering what everyone does for travel/medical insurance in Thailand. I'm from the UK and am looking at world wide travel insurance policies here. Most are generally 31 days long, but some are up to 61 days per trip.

But I'm looking to stay much longer than 61 days in Thailand ! I've called UK Insurance Ltd and they quoted me £221gbp for trips up to 183 days long. So would only have to return UK once(after 6 months) and would get a year's cover for £221. Whilst in Thailand I might take a couple of short trips around south east asia,.

I've previously stayed in Thailand for 1 year, but I didn't take out any insurance during that time. What do you permanent ex-pat guys do? Do you get some type of insurance purchased in farrang land or do you buy some type of insurance in Thailand? what type of deals prices do you get, does anyone buy medical insurance?

Thanks for your help

People that live here get insurance for living here, not a travel insurance as if we still lived back home...

...even if it should be noted that a lot of people don't get any insurance at all, above what their job brings them.

Most the folks I know do not have insurance. It's a hassle over here, so we just self insure. Eat well, exercise, drink as much red wine as you can afford ( :lol: ), and pray....

Health care here is relatively cheap. But when I travel to, say, Nepal or Africa, I get travel insurance from Lonely Plant's website. Even when I visit Europe, I do this also, as HC there is quite expensive....

Thaivisa does offer insurance:

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/

I have Europ Assistance premium travel coverage, medical bills up to 1.5 million Euro.

Cost 140 euro/year, max travel 180 days, need at least 14 days home country.

I travel home country anyway every 5 months.

Is it useful?

Yes when you consider I had a health problem 10 years ago in this same country LOS, cost 400K+ baht

I was repatriated and got further care for months in my home town hospital. ( and I most certainly would prefer being treated home than in any LOS hospital, and yes I was taken care of at Bumrungrad)

Those who travel here without health insurance are stupid, read the stories :o

Edited by tartempion

I have ran into this question before and being an expat myself i have asked this question and i would suggest you looking into or calling Globalsurance or International-Medical-Insurance brokers. Both are insurance brokers that deal with long and short insurance plans world wide. Good luck, BR

Most the folks I know do not have insurance. It's a hassle over here, so we just self insure. Eat well, exercise, drink as much red wine as you can afford ( :lol: ), and pray....

Health care here is relatively cheap.

Healthcare here is only cheap for minor cases. It is not cheap at all when things become serious.

If you have a few ten thousand dollars laying around for this case, it may not matter. But otherwise, get insurance!

Health care here is relatively cheap.

Healthcare here is only cheap for minor cases. It is not cheap at all when things become serious.

If you have a few ten thousand dollars laying around for this case, it may not matter. But otherwise, get insurance!

Compared to the US, most everything medically related here is cheap and relatively good. But for sure, if you don't have some money readily available, insurance is a good thing.