Bmw Diesel V Merc Diesel

Isan Farang

Go back a few years and the answer would be the Merc, but now the build quality is terrible, they are a laughing stock ( ask the guys at Top Gear). I had a C class and that was just a peice of junk, got rid of it PDQ and bought a Saab 9-5 tid (fantastic). On the other hand BMW's have risen to the top fo the tree, I hate to admit it.

Bit like Toyota really (especially their small cheap cars), just rubbish...how the mighty fall.

Go for the Beama mate....did I say that out loud?

Edited by AllanB

For my money, the beemer.

I am not sure of the exact specs on the merc you listed, but the 3.20d is a really nice drive.

check out the performance on carfolio.com - I am guessing you'll find for the same displacement (or price) the beemer kicks out a lot more torque a low revs, and HP at higher, and has better fuel economy too.

Not long before I came to live here, I was driving a 3.20i beemer...... fancied a new one, so looked at the c180k, A4 1.8T, and IS200. The latter was just getting a bit old. The Audi was nice, but felt small. Between the merc and beemer, there was no competition for refinement, quality of materials and finish, or the simple "clunk" test. Beemer hands down.

That being said, I have herad nothing but bad things about beemers in LOS in terms of reliability and breakdowns and cost of repair...... from BMW owners that I know personally (not rambling on TV like I am now). I do not know any merc owners, but I am told they are similar.

Still, between a c class and a 3 series, I'd go 3 series. Better looking too, in my opinion.

For my money, the beemer.

I am not sure of the exact specs on the merc you listed, but the 3.20d is a really nice drive.

check out the performance on carfolio.com - I am guessing you'll find for the same displacement (or price) the beemer kicks out a lot more torque a low revs, and HP at higher, and has better fuel economy too.

Not long before I came to live here, I was driving a 3.20i beemer...... fancied a new one, so looked at the c180k, A4 1.8T, and IS200. The latter was just getting a bit old. The Audi was nice, but felt small. Between the merc and beemer, there was no competition for refinement, quality of materials and finish, or the simple "clunk" test. Beemer hands down.

That being said, I have herad nothing but bad things about beemers in LOS in terms of reliability and breakdowns and cost of repair...... from BMW owners that I know personally (not rambling on TV like I am now). I do not know any merc owners, but I am told they are similar.

Still, between a c class and a 3 series, I'd go 3 series. Better looking too, in my opinion.

comparing 320d with C250CDi is not really fair, as the latter has 20% more power. C220CDi would be fair comparison. same 2150cc engine as 250, but single turbo and power on par with 320d.