Thai Activists Vow To Ramp Up Tensions

webfact

LANGUISHING THAIS

Activists vow to ramp up tensions

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_40023.jpg

Network wants border with Cambodia sealed off, plans rally outside Govt House

As the trial of the seven detained Thais dragged on in Phnom Penh and the Thai government struggled to get them released quickly, the Thai Patriots Network yesterday threatened to escalate tensions with Cambodia.

"If the government won't take any action, the network will bring people to shut the border gate by ourselves," leader Chaiwat Sinsuwong said.

The border crossing at Aranyaprathet in Sa Kaew province, opposite Poipet in Cambodia, is the major gateway for trade and tourism between the two countries, with billions of baht of goods in transit per year.

Foot traffic has dropped by 60 per cent since last month after the arrest of the seven Thais, said Benjaphon Rodsawasdi, deputy commander of Sa Kaew Immigration Police.

The number of travellers crossing the checkpoint from either side has plunged from 3,000 to only 1,000 per day, he said.

The Thai Patriots Network, which is associated with the yellow-shirt People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), called for a major rally in front of Government House in Bangkok today to pressure the government to seal off the border.

The border area is basically under martial law, which authorises the military to control the situation and movement of people.

Colonel Thanathip Sawangsaeng, spokesman for the Defence Ministry, said the Burapha Task Force and Sa Kaew governor would look after the situation. The Thai Patriots Network could gather at the border area as long as it maintained law and order, he said.

Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, secretary to the foreign minister, said the group should not do anything to make the situation more complicated and difficult to resolve.

The network got angry after the government failed to rescue the seven Thais - including yellow-shirt activist Veera Somkwamkid and Democrat Party lawmaker Panich Vikitsreth - from the Cambodian prison.

The seven were taken into custody by Cambodian authorities late last month near Ban Nong Chan in Sa Kaew while they were inspecting the disputed border area. The Foreign Ministry said they had walked 55 metres into Cambodia.

All seven were charged with illegal entry into the country and illegal entry into a military zone, with a possible combined sentence of 18 months.

Veera and his close aide Ratree Pipatanapaiboon were also charged later with espionage for alleged attempts to collect information that might compromise Cambodia's national security. That charge could bring them a maximum 10-year imprisonment.

They were taken to court to testify again yesterday but Veera refused to speak via the court-appointed Khmer interpreter and requested an interpreter from the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh, Chavanond said.

It was a court regulation not to allow interpreters from outside to provide services to defendants, he said.

Veera told reporters shortly before entering the courtroom that "they're trying to force me to accept the accusation".

Veera's action prolonged the hearing while the other five detainees were still waiting for the court's decision on their requests to be freed on bail.

The Thai Patriots Network accused their government of taking no effective action to put pressure on Phnom Penh to send the group back. They argued that the seven had been arrested in Thai territory and the Cambodian court had no authority to try them.

Thailand and Cambodia are in conflict over the boundary at many spots including the areas adjacent to the Hindu temple of Preah Vihear and Ban Nong Chan.

The Cabinet had approved more than Bt500 million for military readiness to protect the border with Cambodia, Thanathip said. The budget was allocated for an emergency situation, and was not a secret budget as reported by the media, he said. The military would spend the money for logistics supplies to its mission to defend the border.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-13

Patriots to intensify protest: Chaiwat

By The Nation

The Thai Patriots Network will this afternoon announce protest plans, its leader Chaiwat Sinsuwong said on Thursday, lashing out at the government for failing to secure the release of seven Thais detained in Cambodia.

"Protesters will be mobilised from across the country to encamp at Government House and a march is planned at Sa Kaeo's Aranyaprathet district," he said.

Starting this morning, rally organisers have set up encampment facilities for protesters on Phitsanulok Road.

Chaiwat vowed to continue protesting until the seven Thais were freed to return to their homeland.

Meanwhile Sa Kaeo governor Sanit Naksuksri reminded the network that martial law is still being enforced on border areas since 1997.

"My priority is to prevent protesters from clashing with local residents," he said.

Sanit voiced concern that organisers have threatened to mobilise a crowd of 10,000 people in the face of opposition from local residents who are worrying about the disruption to their livelihood.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-13

"Protesters will be mobilised from across the country to encamp at Government House and a march is planned at Sa Kaeo's Aranyaprathet district," Chaiwat said. . . . . . . . Google map say 234km (BKK-Aranyaprathet), and takes 1 day & 23 hours to walk. Be prepare for a LONG MARCH. . . Sound familiar? Mao?

Pity Cambodia doesn't cane illegal immigrants like Singapore but they should be given the same traditional Thai hospitality as the Rohingyas - tow them out to sea in a leaky boat without food or drinking water and see how they go.

"Protesters will be mobilised from across the country to encamp at Government House and a march is planned at Sa Kaeo's Aranyaprathet district," Chaiwat said. . . . . . . . Google map say 234km (BKK-Aranyaprathet), and takes 1 day & 23 hours to walk. Be prepare for a LONG MARCH. . . Sound familiar? Mao?

I suggest that you recalculate. This rabble are not Olympic athletes. The British Army at normal marching pace covers 100 yards in 1 minute (120 x 30 inches). That means 17.6 minutes per mile which converts to 3.4 miles per hour . Without stops to take on nourishment and 'comfort ' stops they would take 43 hours less a second or two to cover the 146 miles. Even the SAS could not keep up that pace and the Green Bear Rays would take at least a week. Your estimate of the travelling time may be attained by a tuk tuk if the lengthy stops to pick up further supplies of Red Bull, Leo and maybe even a little ya -ba are not included. You will of course have to factor in the interminable traffic hold ups due to road works where nobody seems to be doing anything constructive, the accidents that interfere with the flow of traffic and the regular negotiating with the BiB over tea money for nonexistent traffic violations.

It is my fervent hope that they be ordered to use the hard shoulder where they will be mowed down by everything from young kids bowling hoops through Tesco ladies on in line roller skates, through helmet less motor bike riders, through self important prats in their Mercs, right up to 40 kilogram lorries all of them travelling in the wrong direction. Given the IQ of Thailand's politic leaders any survivors may well end up in Chiang Mai anyway.

I suggest that you recalculate. This rabble are not Olympic athletes. The British Army at normal marching pace covers 100 yards in 1 minute (120 x 30 inches). That means 17.6 minutes per mile which converts to 3.4 miles per hour . Without stops to take on nourishment and 'comfort ' stops they would take 43 hours less a second or two to cover the 146 miles. Even the SAS could not keep up that pace and the Green Bear Rays would take at least a week. Your estimate of the travelling time may be attained by a tuk tuk if the lengthy stops to pick up further supplies of Red Bull, Leo and maybe even a little ya -ba are not included. You will of course have to factor in the interminable traffic hold ups due to road works where nobody seems to be doing anything constructive, the accidents that interfere with the flow of traffic and the regular negotiating with the BiB over tea money for nonexistent traffic violations.

It is my fervent hope that they be ordered to use the hard shoulder where they will be mowed down by everything from young kids bowling hoops through Tesco ladies on in line roller skates, through helmet less motor bike riders, through self important prats in their Mercs, right up to 40 kilogram lorries all of them travelling in the wrong direction. Given the IQ of Thailand's politic leaders any survivors may well end up in Chiang Mai anyway.

Oh, so are you saying there will not be a long march? :(

I heard there would be entertainment and prehaps refreshments.

If they have balloons, there'd be food right?

Seriously, does Thailand really need a trouble maker like Veera? I say let him enjoy the comforts that come with a Cambodian prison stay. Let's throw him a big welcome home party in about 10 years. Hopefully he should have a much different outlook on life after serving as a Thai comfort woman in a Cambodian prison for 10 years.

TRIAL OF SEVEN THAIS

Sa Kaew villagers in protest against yellow shirts

By The Nation

Some 1,500 people rally in border province of Sa Kaew on Thursday against reports that yellow-clad group from Bangkok will try to seize a border checkpoint.

The group were villagers from Klong Hat, Aranyaprathet, Kok Sung and Ta Phara districts of Sa Kaew.

Speaking via loudspeaker, a representative invited villagers to join their rally, saying that the rally from Bangkok will affect the border businesses and lives of local people.

"We are here to say that we do not welcome the yellow-clad rally from Bangkok. Their presence here will surely affect our living and border businesses. They will try to attempt to seize our border checkpoint. This is not acceptable," he said.

Joining the rally in front of Muang district office were students from schools in the province.

In Bangkok, Chaiwat Sinsuwongse, leader of Thai Patriots Network, said that he will have a meeting at 4pm to consider whether to move people from Bangkok to Sa Kaew. At the press time, they dispersed.

His rally is aimed at putting pressure on the Cambodian government over its trial against seven Thais who were charged with illegal entry.

One of the seven was Veera Somkwamkit, a leader of Thai Patriots Network who is also charged with spying. The Cambodian court on Thursday freed on bail two of the group; on Thursday; Democrat MP Panich Vikitsreth and Naruemon Jitararattana.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-13

Is'nt this the second time that this 'muppet' has been caught stuffing around in Cambodian territory. Is he a professional Thai-Cambodian shit stirrer. Serves him right if he gets what he deserves. As for demanding his own interpreter, as a farang, could i do that in a Thai court ?

The Cambodian court should dismiss the others with a stern warning, but bang up Veera for 12 months for repeated offences.

I think a 2 year suspended sentence for the first offenders would be more appropriate.

Do it again, and you are going in the clink for a long time. Anyone know if committing a criminal offence in another country effects one's ability to be an MP in Thailand?

No, he did not say that. He merely said that the needed time for a march would be much longer than two days. And that they may not end up in the area in question after all. Try read and then understand the text. And balloons do not equilize food.

This is what happens when you do not punish wrongdoers, they think they are above the law, just look at veera

'punish wrongdoers' ? Which wrongdoers and what did they do wrong?

Edited by rubl

What I said, and I thought in plain language, was that the timescale was unrealistic. If they are legging it it will be a L O N G march. One assumption I would make is that Piengrudee had the benefit of a Thai education and therefore cannot do the mathematics.

I made an error in my original post that I herewith correct. For kilograms read kilo tonnes.

No. The Thai Patriotic Front are now saying that. :D

Perhaps one of their members owns a calculator and consulted a map. :blink:

The very idea of a march seemed odd to me given that most Thais jump on a motor bike to travel 50 yards to the 711. :whistling:

What I said, and I thought in plain language, was that the timescale was unrealistic. If they are legging it it will be a L O N G march. One assumption I would make is that Piengrudee had the benefit of a Thai education and therefore cannot do the mathematics.

I made an error in my original post that I herewith correct. For kilograms read kilo tonnes.

I hate to be picky, but although Thai lorries are often over-loaded, I have yet to see a 40 Kilo tonne (40,000 tonnes) lorry on the Kingdom's roads. I guess, like me, you were brought up on imperial weights and measures when a ton was a ton and not a tonne ;)

Chaiwat Sinsuwong, a leader of the group, said the Thai Patriots would protest outside the Foreign Ministry until Kasit and Abhisit resign.

The Thai Patriots Network (which is a minor part of the PAD / yellows) seems to get into it. Probably watched the news and took comfort from their UDD counterparts. Go on till your goal is reached. At least a handful of people outside the Foreign ministry isn't too bothersome for the neighbours, unlike the gatherings at Ratchaprasong ;)

Edited by rubl