นั่งดื่มเหล้าเมา

kokesaat

A piece in yesteday's paper carried this short story. The only thing I'm unsure of is the meaning of

นั่งดื่มเหล้าเมา

Does " นั่งดื่มเหล้าเมา" mean:

1. They were (sitting and) drinking

2. They were (sitting and) drunk

3. They were (sitting and) becoming drunk

I'd guess #1 is right. There's a world of difference between being robbed when you're drinking and being robbed when you're drunk (IMO).

โจ๋อุดรฯ รุมตื้บฝรั่ง บริเวณลานจอดรถด้านหลังสถานีรถไฟอุดรธานี

วันที่ 4 ก.พ. ร.ต.อ.ณัฐพงษ์ ฉวีทอง ร้อยเวรสภ.เมืองอุดรธานี นำกำลังตรวจสอบเหตุทำร้ายและชิงทรัพย์ที่บริเวณลานจอดรถด้านหลังสถานีรถไฟอุดรธานี ถ.ทองใหญ่ ต.หมากแข้ง อ.เมือง จ.อุดรธานี ที่เกิดเหตุพบ น.ส.ลำไพ โสดาสี อายุ 39 ปี ให้การว่าช่วงหัวค่ำตนและสามีมิสเตอร์เดลี โรเวอร์ อายุ 50 ปี ชาวอเมริกัน นั่งดื่มเหล้าเมาและถูกวัยรุ่น 5 คนรุมทำร้ายชิงกระเป๋าเงินกับชิงรถรถจยย.ยี่ห้อฮอนด้า รุ่นคลิก สีขาวน้ำเงิน ทะเบียน คขก-866 อุดรธานี หลบหนีไป

Appreciate any comments.

Having thought about this particular case, I'd guess "sitting around getting drunk" would be closer to the real picture. Let's say a few well-dressed, well-behaved people were in a fine establishment having a cocktail before dinner. Would someone refer to them as นั่งดื่มเหล้าเมา ? If so, I'll settle for 'sitting and drinking'.

Thanks for the feedback.

'นั่งดื่มเหล้าเมา' is actually for Thai people who come in a group (You can see most of rural people do it at night) and sit in a circle, joke around, and get really drunk.

So, to me, it's the best to say 'sitting around getting drunk' .

Go to some provices in rural area, you can see many people do 'นั่งดื่มเหล้าเมา'.