Convert Old Diesel Pickup To Gas ?

donis5

HI i recently bought a nissan Frontier diesel 2.7l

it is very hungry, and want fuel often, so i think about a gas conversion ?

the car is 7 years

is it too old to get gas ?

anyone can recommend ?

i live between bangkok and Pattaya, in Bangsaen.

Jesper

You can convert to a LPG/Diesel mix.

Not expensive but you will have to fill up with diesel and lpg gas.

Also you will lose power and torque in the process.

But you can set the lpg/diesel mixture.

But you cannot convert to CNG/NGV without major modifications.

You will have to add a distributor/spark plugs, ignition system, etc.

But can be done and the engine won't sound like a diesel and burns cleaner (no black smoke).

If it's not common-rail (ie an old indirect-injection engine) it will happily run on 50-50 diesel and filtered cooking oil.

Our oil disposal man (who we used to pay to take away used cooking oil) just bungs the stuff he now pays US for into his old Nissan, the exhaust smells of fried fish :) It's been clattering away for many years, the local farmers also burn it in their iron-buffalo's, which seem even more tolerant of fuel quality.

If it's not common-rail (ie an old indirect-injection engine) it will happily run on 50-50 diesel and filtered cooking oil.

Our oil disposal man (who we used to pay to take away used cooking oil) just bungs the stuff he now pays US for into his old Nissan, the exhaust smells of fried fish :) It's been clattering away for many years, the local farmers also burn it in their iron-buffalo's, which seem even more tolerant of fuel quality.

i never did try this, heard about it before though, it have been on discovery too.

but im not near such amounts of oil :-[

so, an LPG/ Diesel mix, is possible ?

that can be good enough, i just want longer milage pr $

Jesper

Converting diesel to LPG.

I am a great fan of LPG but it seems that converting a diesel does not give much saving.

But you can still investigate. Try here

The LPG installer is called King Kaew 02 312 4136 or 086 337 4381 in Bang Pli or Bang Po, I can never remember, off BangNa-Trat

Edited by VocalNeal

A dual-fuel engine utilizes a mixture of natural gas and diesel, with the natural gas/air mixture ignited by a diesel “pilot”. The diesel is injected directly into the combustion chamber, while gas is introduced into the air intake by carburetion or by gas injection.

The mixture of natural gas and diesel varies according to the load and the duty cycle of the engine, ranging anywhere from 80% gas down to 0% gas. At lower engine loads, diesel use tends to be higher whereas at higher engine loads it is possible to use a higher proportion of gas. Dual-fuel engines are usually the result of a conversion of a diesel engine and have the advantage of not being totally dependent on natural gas for fuel supply. Thus, if a vehicle runs out of natural gas or is away from an available NGV fuel source, it is able to operate solely on diesel.

Many Thai pickup and van owners replaced their engine to Toyota JZ or UZ which are very easy to install LPG conversion. The engine price including installation start from 40k-80k baht depend on model, condition, years and options. You may sell your diesel engine for around 20k.

Example price: use Google to translate

http://www.jzengineservice.com/Re-engine%20Price.html

1JZ:Inline six 2500CC

2JZ:Inline six 3000CC

GT: Non Turbo

GTE: Turbo

VVTI: Newer model with variable valve technology

1UZ-FE:V8 4000CC

Many Thai pickup and van owners replaced their engine to Toyota JZ or UZ which are very easy to install LPG conversion. The engine price including installation start from 40k-80k baht depend on model, condition, years and options. You may sell your diesel engine for around 20k.

I would love to have a 1uzfe fitted to my Colorado, do you know of anywhere around Pattaya that can do the conversion ?

Example price: use Google to translate

http://www.jzengines...ne%20Price.html

1JZ:Inline six 2500CC

2JZ:Inline six 3000CC

GT: Non Turbo

GTE: Turbo

VVTI: Newer model with variable valve technology

1UZ-FE:V8 4000CC

Usefull information

are this JZ and UZ some kind og universal engine ?

Jesper

Also you will lose power and torque in the process.

A properly setup diesel + LPG system will actually gain HP and torque, not lose it. Problem remains finding someone trustworthy to do it, and the fact that you won't be able to park in most shopping centers anymore (most do not allow LPG or CNG/NGV cars to park undercover).

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I would love to have a 1uzfe fitted to my Colorado, do you know of anywhere around Pattaya that can do the conversion ?

Not sure about uz, this garage claims he installed hundreds of jz engines and located at Chonburi bypass road.

http://translate.goo...line.page.tl%2F

Usefull information

are this JZ and UZ some kind og universal engine ?

Jesper

They are gasoline engines use in some hi-end and sport toyota cars.

Bah! Don't you mean an LS1 and T56 conversion?

Saw this set for sale on the Thai Amercian club website a few months back, 140K for memory..

1UZFE in Chev = Sacrilege! :D

.... and filtered cooking oil. <snip>

the local farmers also burn it in their iron-buffalo's, which seem even more tolerant of fuel quality.

Is any adjustment needed to run the iron-buffalo's on cooking oil.. or just stick it in and off you go ?

totster :D

Bah! Don't you mean an LS1 and T56 conversion?

Saw this set for sale on the Thai Amercian club website a few months back, 140K for memory..

1UZFE in Chev = Sacrilege! :D

yeah bang for buck and availability out here its the tojo donk all the way.