Getting New Notebook - Please Help Me Avoid Problems

Wentworth

I'm a Newbie to Linux and tried to download Mint 10 as a dual boot with XP on my 5 year old notebook

I posted an installation problem on the Linux Mint site. I got as far as entering my username and password registration details and then everything just froze. I ended up having to literally unplug the machine. I thought I had lost everything, including my XP O/S but it seems that the MBR(Master Boot Record) was corrupted (suggested by a Mint user). It couldn't be fixed and so had to have XP reinstalled. I also had trouble trying to find the right keyboard from the Mint supported list.

I'm on the lookout for a new notebook. It would be great if I could get one without an OS and just load Mint on its own. However, it seems that most makes from reputable sellers come with Windows 7. In the last ice age when I bought my last notebook, I think I had to make my own recovery disk as none were supplied. If anyone has bought a new machine recently, please let me know what is either supplied or default for recovery disks. If my new machine comes with Windows 7 I do intend to install Mint 10 as a dual boot and don't want to have the same problems as before.

I highly doubt that it was a 'corrupted MBR' that was the cause of your hard lock. IIRC you can choose to start up, instead of Mint, a memory check utility. I'd run that and see if your RAM is a-ok.

I can't understand why you're having problems finding the correct keyboard layout; I've never had to stray from the recommend one on any Linux install (even if it suggested that the keyboard layout has more keys than the actual board).

Assuming that you're in Thailand, prowl the aisles of Lotus or Big C. Both of them offer a selection of notebooks with only DOS (I believe Free-DOS). I am a big fan of Asus notebooks--a few minor quirks aside every one that I've owned has had good Linux compatability). Also Dell offers various notebooks with Linux preinstalled, although none are very exciting.

All the notebooks that I am aware of come with a roll your own restore disk...

i bought an acer timeline 4810t a little over a year ago for under 23000. took a bit of haggling to convince them i didn't want an operating system, but i think i saved around 2-3000 baht to get it without windows. great little notebook, super light, great battery time, and i've run at least 6-8 different distros on it with never a problem (except a minor glitch or 2 with sound configuration). and i agree with dave_boo about the keyboard layout - just because it has thai characters doesn't mean anything, i have never installed anything but the default layout and have never had any problems.

k

ps. i'd be happy to take your old notebook off your hands if you get a new one. always on the lookout for old hardware! ;>}

Try memtest-86. It's an disc image that burns on to a boot CD. Thais don't ever use it and don't know what is it, but bad memory causes all kinds of weird problems and this gives you a simple yes or no in regarded to the question "is anything wrong with my memory?" (Nothing a few cans of chang won't fix, hahahaha)

Seriously though, here's a few things to keep in mind about buying a laptop.

1. RAM and hard disc can be upgraded and replaced very easily and cheaply, so much so that it doesn't really matter how much it has. You'll want to upgrade it to a 640GB hard drive anyway but will find most laptops don't come with that much so really whatever that have already doesn't matter.

2. It is impossible however to replace or upgrade the GRAPHICS CARD. It should have the best graphics card you find even if you don't play games because it enhances resale value. It might not even be more expensive. Look for; GTX 460M, 260M, HD5470, HD5650, HD5850, not just ATI or Nvidia or graphics because there are many different models out there. Check out this site: http://www.gpureview.com

3. The motherboard chipset will determine what sort of processor the laptop can handle, and if the thing is upgradable. Do your homework on which is a good one, instead of googling what you've already purchased in 6 months to find out it's trash.

The core 2 series is old and out of date. The newest series is i3, i5, i7, etc. if you want an easy rule.

Comparison shop online first.

This is an example of a laptop I would own: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214190

That one is only about 20,000 baht and it's kick ass.

For even more high end;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220921

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214051

Good luck.

Purchased my notebook in Hua Hin from a store I can't recall but it's one of the big computer chains. No OS installed and there was no problem finding notebooks without an OS and without haggling.

IMHO graphic cards add heat and eat battery. If you're not a gamer and are buying current generation hardware the integrated graphics is fine. Bring a DVD to see how it will handle movies. Computers evolve so fast that thinking about resale value is a waste. Few gamers will buy a used PC. If something develops in the next few years that needs more graphic horsepower you can always add one. That said, if you have a HD TV you might want to get notebook graphics that allow you to plug notebook into the TV.

Read the manufacturer's warranty. Read the manufacturer's warranty. In Thailand the Acer warranty says that if a component they didn't manufacture fails, your only recourse is with it's manufacturer. Or at least that's what their website says.

Broadcom drivers have historically been a royal pain in the ass to get working with Linux. The company is now working with the Linux community to make it better. Unless you have a new Broadcom chipset ...

On this site people report how their notebook hardware works with Linux. Most computer companies use different model names and numbers than in the industrialized nations, so it will take some research to find a model number that has the same hardware as a computer offered in SE Asia.