Wellcom A99 - Anyone Have One?

TenDreams

Saw this phone mentioned in a post, and wondered if anyone has one, and if so, what do they think of it?

I have never had a smart phone before, or considered purchasing a Wellcom phone, but this one does look pretty tasty.

Looked at a few reviews online, but contrary to my avatar, I'm interested in hearing from any users on here also!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen this in recent mobile expo at Queen Sirikit. But for 9900 Baht I will go for Samsung or HTC android phone.

+1. I almost bought one at the expo. what made me get the samsung galaxy cooper was, among other things, the ability to have support in "English" after I bought the phone. Support in multiple locations in thailand, and I wanted to be reasonably sure that I wouldn't have too many problems with the phone after i bought it. Plus upgrading to a newer firmware would be less hassle. So since they dropped the price on the cooper to 9100, and the free extras, I confirmed with my lady that the samsung was the better option. The screen is smaller than the A99, but the interface is flawless.

The A99 phone looked beautiful, and was light-weight. I didn't play with the keyboard. So you or your spouse should thoroughly check the keyboard and other functions you will use to see if it is ok. One positive thing I can say about Welcomm is that they don't just give up on their phone after they release it, they will issue a firmware update if the hardware can support it. iMobile tends to only focus on hardware support at their stores and will give you the blank stare if you ask for newer firmware. Another positive thing is that Wellcom seems to want to keep up with their competitors hardware wise. After the i858, iMobile has been really slacking with their upcomming models.

The A86 was also a good budget android phone . Maybe some of the shops will still offer 2 A86 for 10,000 baht. If it had a flash, i probably would have bought one.

If you do end up getting the A99, come back and tell us about it.

FWIW, on some Thai forums there are widespread reports of serious problems with this model. Most seem to be regeretting the decision to purchase. As with all forums, you tend to get the whiners and complainers, while those who are satisfied have other things to do. YMMV.

FWIW, on some Thai forums there are widespread reports of serious problems with this model. Most seem to be regeretting the decision to purchase. As with all forums, you tend to get the whiners and complainers, while those who are satisfied have other things to do. YMMV.

Depends on what they are complaining about. Was it software or hardware failures? is it the same problems?

In my final decision, was worried about the quality control of the unit. Did they rush out the unit to compete at the upcoming mobile expos?

Edited by 4evermaat

Depends on what they are complaining about. Was it software or hardware failures? is it the same problems?

In my final decision, was worried about the quality control of the unit. Did they rush out the unit to compete at the upcoming mobile expos?

Mostly hardware failures, as near as I can determine. Not a lot of follow up post-repair so hard to tell if it is one single issue. Again this is only ~ 20 or so different people complaining in one long thread, there could be thousands of satisfied users. My only point was that if you are considering this model it may be wise to do a bit of research, perhaps going so far as to find some people using this model? I'd also review the warranty/repair terms.

Mostly hardware failures, as near as I can determine. Not a lot of follow up post-repair so hard to tell if it is one single issue. Again this is only ~ 20 or so different people complaining in one long thread, there could be thousands of satisfied users. My only point was that if you are considering this model it may be wise to do a bit of research, perhaps going so far as to find some people using this model? I'd also review the warranty/repair terms.

Thanks for the responses there guys. I guess I'll hold off any purchases until the 'perfect phone' hits the market! :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...