Passport Found

alobar

Well done -- nice thought to post this.

You could also maybe call the Consulate in advance to advise the name of the holder in case the owner hasn't read the very good news here.

For sure he/she will have called in.

Turn it in???? Hmmmmm.... sell it on the Thai Black Market....... but wait, bad idea..... not too many fat & ugly Thais needing a passport..... laugh.gif

Just joking, don't you Brits go getting all your panties in a wad....... Very Good Samaritan by turning in the passport.... I tip my hat to you. jap.gif

Giving it to the embassy will not help the loser at all. They will imedialey cancel it and he would have to get a new one anyway. If this happens again it may be better to advise that it is being held at a certain place and will be give3n to the owner if he comes within a certain tim or after that given to the embassy.e

Giving it to the embassy will not help the loser at all. They will imedialey cancel it and he would have to get a new one anyway. If this happens again it may be better to advise that it is being held at a certain place and will be give3n to the owner if he comes within a certain tim or after that given to the embassy.e

Good advice, harrry. And, a tip of the hat to Alobar for posting the notice here. The poor bloke must be going crazy right now.

Good advice, harrry. And, a tip of the hat to Alobar for posting the notice here. The poor bloke must be going crazy right now.

I was not criticising the OP... what he has and is doing is commendible.

The Consulate closes at 11.30am so you won't get it there today unless you're lucky. I should think the helpful staff there would wait a day or so before taking any action that forces the person who lost it to apply for (an expensive) replacement.

Harry, are you sure the Honorary British Consulate in CM will cancel a UK passport immediately, without waiting a day or two to see if someone shows up in a panic? They can't issue a new passport here, can they?

I have to admit that the closest I've come to doing this is to leave my ATM card at a machine. Everytime I've done this, all I have to do is go to the branch office when I realize my error and they always have the card in a drawer, waiting for me, along with other returned cards. Either a kind soul turned it in or the ATM machine kept it when someone didn't know my PIN number, but in any event, the bank didn't cancel the ATM card even though it was clearly lost.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Alobar,

Blessings to Thee for your kindness, and sure hope the British Consulate here will be helpful, and the person who lost the passport doesn't have to go through a lot of administrative hassle.

best, ~o:37;

The OP's heart is in the correct place and definitely hope that the passport holder reads this thread BUT unfortunately the chance of that are slim to none as only about 5% of all foreigner even look at Thai Visa let along post on it.. So this person will need a new or emergency passport from either the British consulate in Chiang Mai or the embassy in Bangkok but before that they will have to go to the police and fill a report and take to the consulate/embassy. I would suggest to the OP if they have not been contacted a few days to turn it in to the British Consulate.:thumbsup:

The OP's heart is in the correct place and definitely hope that the passport holder reads this thread BUT unfortunately the chance of that are slim to none as only about 5% of all foreigner even look at Thai Visa let along post on it.. So this person will need a new or emergency passport from either the British consulate in Chiang Mai or the embassy in Bangkok but before that they will have to go to the police and fill a report and take to the consulate/embassy. I would suggest to the OP if they have not been contacted a few days to turn it in to the British Consulate.:thumbsup:

maybe i am being a bit naive but why not contact the police - surely the hotel he is staying at registered the guy with them?

Just back from the British Consulate:

Appreciate the kudos, but I have to ask- really what else was there to do? Seriously I can’t think of anything other than tossing it, which -who would do that? Or handing it off to someone else to turn it in. Not just a good karma thing, just common decency, and really what physically would anyone else do with a found document?.. In the US you could turn it in to any police station, or more realistically put it in a post box where it would be automatically forwarded to an embassy.

I suppose an arm chair quarterback could have come up with other possibilities, but an ATM card i'd have taken to the corresponding bank, a driver's license to the DMV, and a passport to a consulate.

My other thought is that i‘ve read too many spy novels in my day to make a ‘meet me under the lamp post, and be holding a copy of Tuesday’s Le Figaro under your left arm’ with the guy’s I.D.

As it was I was wondering what it would look like if I was taken out by a bus on the way over, with the only papers on me being someone else’s passport.

And finally- not having ever had a reason to experience British consular hospitality….I was wished a good day as I entered, by the Thai guard,; offered a cold glass of water by the council staff before being told that; ‘no the council and consulate are not the same thing….and was offered a smile and gratitude without having to empty my pockets first, by the most charming duty officer imaginable.:P

They indeed were closed at 11:30, but a second guard, without even asking my business, telephoned over and they opened up for me.

maybe i am being a bit naive but why not contact the police - surely the hotel he is staying at registered the guy with them?

My understanding is that it is the Immigration police that keep those records. Don't waste time on local Police :)

As it was I was wondering what it would look like if I was taken out by a bus on the way over, with the only papers on me being someone else's passport.

Hmmmmmm.... Not abiding by the regulations.... and most of all not too smart if you're not carrying some form of ID at all times. (Some that actually belongs to you.... whistling.gif)

Just back from the British Consulate:

Appreciate the kudos, but I have to ask- really what else was there to do? Seriously I can't think of anything other than tossing it, which -who would do that? Or handing it off to someone else to turn it in. Not just a good karma thing, just common decency, and really what physically would anyone else do with a found document?.. In the US you could turn it in to any police station, or more realistically put it in a post box where it would be automatically forwarded to an embassy.

I suppose an arm chair quarterback could have come up with other possibilities, but an ATM card i'd have taken to the corresponding bank, a driver's license to the DMV, and a passport to a consulate.

My other thought is that i've read too many spy novels in my day to make a 'meet me under the lamp post, and be holding a copy of Tuesday's Le Figaro under your left arm' with the guy's I.D.

As it was I was wondering what it would look like if I was taken out by a bus on the way over, with the only papers on me being someone else's passport.

And finally- not having ever had a reason to experience British consular hospitality….I was wished a good day as I entered, by the Thai guard,; offered a cold glass of water by the council staff before being told that; 'no the council and consulate are not the same thing….and was offered a smile and gratitude without having to empty my pockets first, by the most charming duty officer imaginable.:P

They indeed were closed at 11:30, but a second guard, without even asking my business, telephoned over and they opened up for me.

You did the correct thing.:thumbsup:

:cheesy:

Naive = Police would be very polite and grateful :ermm: Then the passport disappears in the black hole of Thai bureaucratic complications only to re appear on the black market along with the rest of the week's haul of drugs, misplaced weapons, lonely teak logs, lost phones, incorrectly registered vehicles etc.......

Sorry I'm way too cynical :crazy:

Just a thought : At the back of an English Passport are /or should be, the names and contact numbers of two friends or relations in case of emergency. I should think a lost passport qualifies.

If this ever happens again and someone happens to find a passport:

Google the person to get their contact info.

My wife did just that when she found a foreign passport. She went to their Facebook page and was easily able to determine that it was the same person. She posted to their Facebook page and was able to easily re-unite the passport with its owner.