Going Uk

dave111223

I'm traveling to the UK and I wonder if anyone can advise how things work there with regards to sim cards/mobile phones (i haven't been back to UK in a long time).

1) Can I use a Thai sim card, such as True, or Dtac, in the UK (for calls/internet)?

2) Would a Thai smartphone (such as HTC, or Samsung) which has been working in Thailand work in the UK if switched to a UK simcard (without any unlocking etc..etc..)

3) Do they have pre-paid internet/calling sim cards in the UK. ie can i go into a corner shop, buy a sim card and a top-up card and be online in a few minutes? Or is it more of a complex setup there?

It's strange; i was born in the UK but i feel like a foreigner going there, as i have little knowledge of the way things work there.

(Title should be "Going to the UK")

Edited by dave111223

Last time I was there I got an 02 sim card from one of their shops, though not from the various agents, the sim card is free and you just pay for the top up you want. It certainly worked in my Thai mobile phone, which I thought were generally unlocked anyway.

One of the better packages gives you free International Calls when you top-up, I think that when I topped up a tenner I got in the region of 30 free minutes, it might have been more, on top of the calls you have paid for.

have a look here pay as you go on the 02 network, 250 minutes, unltd text and unltd internet £10.00 per month - http://giffgaff.com/index/offer?_msd=hotukdeals

and free sim here - http://www.giffgaffsims.co.uk/order.html

i have been looking for a while and this seems the best deal.

the only other deal close is asda mobile here - http://www.asdamobile.com/index.html £10.00 per month payg is 200 minutes

1) Yes you can use a Thai SIM card but I wouldnt recommend it as it is VERY expensive to do so.

2) Thai Smart phones are usually unlocked and can take ANY SIM CARD ANYWHERE.

3) yes , you can I recommend Vodaphone.

Good luck and safe travels.:jap:..........I know just how you feel

Edited by CharlieH

Hi,

Yes you can use your Thai sim card providing it's set up for roaming but it's an expensive option.

I came back a couple of weeks ago for a month and got a Tesco sim card, topped up with £20 and got £40 extra bonus that expires in a month but the original £20 stays with you. I'll be coming back to UK in July for a month and will still have the original top up available.