Gmail Drives Me Nuts, At Times

THAIPHUKET

I love gmail. And I got TOT which is very stable, no complaints up or down.

Gmail drives me nuts in that down is perfect but even the smallest mail gets stuck after hitting SEND often for 30 sec. STIll Working, it says. It happens infrequently but still. Happens in no other location, I think. Use laptop often elsewhere.

Anyone here with similar experience?

Sometimes I have the same problem and not only with Gmail, also with hotmail (windows live). I have also TOT and live in a thinly populated area. Because I use Vista I presumed it was my operating system.

That's what I don't understand my connection is good, right now 21.55h up is 0.37Mbps with Denver.Co. It's this waiting period before the mail actually goes out, once it is uploading, it's gone.

PS.

e.g I never have this problem uploading with THaiVisa

Edited by THAIPHUKET

Try using it with a Email program such as outlook or one of the many others available. Much better than waiting for every page to open with web based email if you have slow connection.

IMO GMail web interface is better than any email client I know of. It's really quite excellent. It's the only mail client that can handle threading properly - Gmail groups your emails in conversations, and unlike OS X's Mail, it does it in a way that's just perfect.

I don't have the send problem so no idea on that. It works just fine.

I detest all webmail with a vengeance. All of them are incredibly time-wasting and the more dodgy your connection the more time you waste. I have better things to do with my life.

Gmail works perfectly well as an IMAP or POP service with all standard email clients and as far as I'm concerned that is the only way to use it or any other email service. Webmail may be a suitable replacement when your own computer isnt available but that's all.

I detest all webmail with a vengeance. All of them are incredibly time-wasting and the more dodgy your connection the more time you waste. I have better things to do with my life.

Gmail works perfectly well as an IMAP or POP service with all standard email clients and as far as I'm concerned that is the only way to use it or any other email service. Webmail may be a suitable replacement when your own computer isnt available but that's all.

I agree 100% with you and more, but there are those who insist on using Webmail and won't use a client.

Different strokes for different folks :jerk:

I agree 100% with you and more, but there are those who insist on using Webmail and won't use a client.

Different strokes for different folks :jerk:

Ditto. Use POP/IMAPservice with an email client like Outlook. I'm on TOT like the OP, the TOT service is very reliable, and I very rarely have any issue in accessing Gmail via POP/IMAP....and in those rare cases, it usually only lasts few minutes. Personally, I use the POP interface...tried the IMAP interface, but prefer the POP interface. I only log onto the Gmail web interface about once every three weeks for a minute or two to check for any valid email misdirected to the Gmail Spam folder. I usually have one or two Spams and really can't remember the last time Gmail put a non-spam/valid email in the Spam folder....Gmail has an outstanding Spam identification system. IMHO, all web-based interfaces for the different email services I've tried (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc) can be slow, cumbersome to use compared to an email client, etc., but do come in handy when needing to access your email via the web from a computer that is not yours. Use an email client to send/receive email via Gmail....easy to setup...makes day-to-day email use a lot easier and faster.

Edited by Pib

Try this test:

Next time you're ready to send an email, before you send it, highlight it all (cntl A) and copy it (cntl C). You'll have a copy. Hit 'send'. If it seems to hang up, go to your sent box. I'll bet it's already there.

I had this problem a week or two ago (never had it before). I think there was some glitch with gmail.....but found all my emails were sent expeditiously........but for some reason, the 'sending' button seemed to hang up.

I no longer have the problem.