Sending Small Packages From Thailand

Mekong Bob

Does anyone have experience in sending small packages (well under a half a kilogram) to USA by UPS, FedEx, or DHL?

Is service reliable? Do you use company's shipping boxes or do you box it up yourself? Are weights and rates posted on websites? Thanks.

I've sent packages through Thai Post, Fedex, and letter/mail through DHL. All will give you estimates online as to the prices and all are about the same. Fedex & DHL may get there 1 or 2 days faster, but will cost upto 5 times as much. All offer their own boxes, which you'll have to buy, or use your own box.

IMO, if you don't need it there in 3 days(i.e 7 days is ok) try the Thai Post. Its actually pretty good. Same goes for having packages sent here, use the USPS.

I sent a package to the States last December by DHL, it was only a few grammes but it cost 2000B including one of their small boxes. Agree with CMSteve, unlessit is something special the Thai post is not bad and you do have the option of EMS though that can get quite expensive as well. Though a recent post did question the reliability of agents in Big C I have used the small post Office in Airport Plaza without a problem, they also have the various boxes and padded envelopes as well.

I send over 600 packages each month and sell on line ebay.

The best suitable one will be EMS Thai post. Boxes are available

at the local post office and don't go to small agencies as they over charge

by about 10% (sometimes more)

I used a small place nea Thapae Gate...if you are walking west on sunday night market it is on the street left side...one of the first little shops and I got box from them...spent 700 bhat ish so it would last less than a month...small box...few 1 block north dhl said mimimum 2000 bhat...no thanks...I had no issues using thai post office last year but slow as hell like 2-3 months so this time I payed more so I wouldnt beat my pachage home...ok maybe that didnt sound righ hhaha

NEVER,NEVER, NEVER ,NEVER use a contract post office. Always use the main Thai Post.:whistling:

Absolutely right. I use the local post office and some examples...........Normal letter 27 Baht.....arrived in 7 days in the UK. Recorded A4 letter 90 baht....arrived UK 7 days.

Registered A4 letter 800 baht Fed Ex.........3 days arrived in UK. Slightly annoying how a similar registered A4 letter sent from UK To CNX cost £48.00 through the British Post office and took 8 days to arrive.

Yesterday I sent an envelope to the US via fedex 1/2 kilo for 870thb -3 day delivery. Thai Post would have been much cheaper, but they estimated 7-10 [or more] days for delivery........depends on how fast you want it there. Speed cost$.

Hiso, do you have a deal with them? Is there a pricing schedule available? Is it feasible to offer a flat postal rate for light items (100g)??

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Mekong Bob,

Strongly second Khun Gotlost's statement about never using a contract post office !

Have had two very small parcels, sent EMS to the USA, "disappear," never reaching the US. As a result of this when using Thai Post, now pack in large boxes only.

Never had a problem using FedEx here, but you pay a premium for the safety, speed of delivery, and ability to on-line track.

best, ~o:37;

I'd only add one thing.. The standard branded shipping boxes as well as branded letter envelopes from places like UPS, FedEx etc are free... They may sell some other special sized boxes or generic un-branded boxes, but all three-- UPS, FedEx and DHL do have their own branded boxes and letter envelopes and these are free to use.. you only pay the appropriate shipping charges.

I'd agree with the others that the security side is better with the private carriers as your letters and packages remain in their own ULD's (containers) and move either on aircraft owned by the express carrier, or on other commercial carriers, but still remain secured in the cargo container the entire time..

Edited by gopbi