Thai Traffic Lights

jayenram

From my minimal research, there doesn't appear to be any explanation of what certain traffic light configurations actual require you to do.

Being from the UK, I interpret them as being the same as there but the Thais appear to have a different interpretation.

For example, at a 'T' junction. My understanding is:

Fig 1 - Straight on is permitted, turning right is not.

Fig 2 - Straight on is permitted, only turn right if safe to do so.

Fig 3 - Straight on and turning right (filter) is permitted.

Any comments?

post-123-1127004239_thumb.jpg

Fig 1 - I agree

Fig 3 - I agree

Fig 2 - if there is a possible light for turning, no turning without that light

all under the presumption, that all lights are working??! :o

happens sometimes! :D

The intended uses are generally the same in Thailand, but I have seen exceptions where the traffic lights do not function as designed. There are intersections where the green light is of the fig. 1 variety but it should be a fig. 2 light, i.e no right-turn indicator but a right-hand turn is actually allowed with caution. More problematically, I have seen lights of the fig. 3 variety that should also be of the fig. 2 variety, i.e. make a right turn with caution as the oncoming traffic is not stopped (this can be really dangerous if one is not familiar with the intersection in question).

Fig 1  - I agree

Fig 3  - I agree

Fig 2  - if there is a possible light for turning, no turning without that light

Fig 2 lights should therefore be replaced with fig 1 lights as they are therefore the same. And what happens if it's dark and you cannot see if there is a 'turning light'?

From my minimal research, there doesn't appear to be any explanation of what certain traffic light configurations actual require you to do.

Being from the UK, I interpret them as being the same as there but the Thais appear to have a different interpretation.

Any comments?

Wonderful isn't it?

Of course, you would never see number 1 in the UK, 1 would have the red illuminated (to mean no anything except straight).

To throw in another variable in Thailand we have those blue and white arrows indicating that a left turn is permitted even if the lights are red. Of course most Thais ignore the absence of the arrow and turn left anyway.

Just follow the locals, they must be right :o

Fig 1  - I agree

Fig 3  - I agree

Fig 2  - if there is a possible light for turning, no turning without that light

Fig 2 lights should therefore be replaced with fig 1 lights as they are therefore the same. And what happens if it's dark and you cannot see if there is a 'turning light'?

I believe that all signalized intersections are also lit.....on the other hand if you think a right turn is allowed if possible and not allowed if traffic is approaching...then at least you will not proceed and you will be safe...the worst case scenerio is that a cop will see you and give you a ticket...as a licensed professional engineer with a transportation specialty I do think that the traffic signals in Thailand and especially their location in the intersection is suboptimal....but it is a less expensive installation the way they do it so that's probably why its done....I've noticed that newer installations sometimes follow a better geometry.

I believe that all signalized intersections are also lit.

Maybe in the big cities, Chow, but not necessarily in the sticks. Anyway, I agree with you - never take filter arrows, or even green lights, for granted. You have 90% chance of being wrong.

But I would never follow a local. I've seen too many body shapes chalked on the roads.

I usually filter left on Red unless there's a sign to say I can't......????

The best lights I've seen are the ones by the appropriately named Carrefour crossroads on Pattaya Klang, Pattaya. They turned them on for a couple of days and the ensuing chaos resulted in them being turned off again for the nest year!

Any comments?

Hi jayenram,

Fig 1 : I don't recall if we have this light (with striaght and right arrows) .. hmm..

Fig 2 : shoud be - Straight on is permitted. To turn right you have to wait for the green arrow. Your understanding will be correct for a traffic light with no right arrow sign (= Straight on is permitted, only turn right if safe to do so) Well, at least that's how I do while driving here :o

Fig 3 : Correct

gintOnic

Fig 1 - I agree

Fig 3 - I agree

So what you are saying is that in figure 2 even though there is no red light you cannot go. Sorry , I disagree even though I've been had by the police in Prakonchai. So that means, you cannot go down any road in Thailand unless there is a green light. Think about it. You come to a junction with no lights, then you must wait for a green to go even though there are no lights. After all it works like that in Europe, albeit with red lights. A red light placed anywhere means 'stop' in all circumstances. Everywhere else in the world a filter is what it says, a traffic filter. If the arrow is lit then you can go. If the main green is lit and the arrow is out, then proceed with caution

So what you are saying is that in figure 2 even though there is no red light you cannot go. Sorry , I disagree even though I've been had by the police in Prakonchai.  So that means, you cannot go down any road in Thailand unless there is a green light. Think about it. You come to a junction with no lights, then you must wait for a green to go even though there are no lights. After all it works like that in Europe, albeit with red lights. A red light placed anywhere means 'stop' in all circumstances. Everywhere else in the world a filter is what it says, a traffic filter. If the arrow is lit then you can go. If the main green is lit and the arrow is out, then proceed with caution

Does anyone understand what Lampshade said there?

MATRON! Time for his injection!

:o

Just follow the locals, they must be right  :o

I've seen too many locals splattered on the road to do this.

Thai traffic lights are easy to interperet;

Green = You still here?

Yellow = Nice day isn't it?

Red = Watch out for cross traffic

cv

Fig 1 - I agree

Fig 3 - I agree

So what you are saying is that in figure 2 even though there is no red light you cannot go. Sorry , I disagree even though I've been had by the police in Prakonchai. So that means, you cannot go down any road in Thailand unless there is a green light. Think about it. You come to a junction with no lights, then you must wait for a green to go even though there are no lights. After all it works like that in Europe, albeit with red lights. A red light placed anywhere means 'stop' in all circumstances. Everywhere else in the world a filter is what it says, a traffic filter. If the arrow is lit then you can go. If the main green is lit and the arrow is out, then proceed with caution

wasn't that you who bought that driverlicence for 54 Bath Lampie ?

now i see !!! :D

Any comments?

Jayenram,

Here in the US, your interpretation would be correct (only it would be left turns for us since we drive on the other side!). A green ball would mean you can go straight or turn IF there is no oncoming traffic (they have the right of way). When the green arrow is on, you have the right of way.

Of course in the worst case scenario here in Thailand, it is possible to be stopped and fined for going through a green light. I know. I was. Of course right now the biggest problem is of course, that 1/3 of the Thais follow the Westernised way of thinking, that you must have a red light to stop; 1/3 follow the Thai rules, ie. you must have a green arrow pointing in the direction you need to go, and of course the other 1/3 don't know what traffic lights are for. :o

...the worst case scenerio is that a cop will see you and give you a ticket...

really??? a ticket?? you arent very fimilar with the way things work in Thailand...in 3 years of driving here & the countless times I have been stopped never have I been given a ticket!! I have always sorted it out between myself & the policemen with one or two red notes. Quite easy for both parties!! And both leave happy!!

...the worst case scenerio is that a cop will see you and give you a ticket...

really??? a ticket?? you arent very fimilar with the way things work in Thailand...in 3 years of driving here & the countless times I have been stopped never have I been given a ticket!! I have always sorted it out between myself & the policemen with one or two red notes. Quite easy for both parties!! And both leave happy!!

And you're not very familiar with the English language then. A 'ticket' is a similie for getting nabbed by the boys in blue over a traffic offence. How you get out of it is of no concern to me, although I in fact did part with 100 baht as my punishment.

And you're not very familiar with the English language then. A 'ticket' is a similie for getting nabbed by the boys in blue over a traffic offence. How you get out of it is of no concern to me, although I in fact did part with 100 baht as my punishment.

I was refering to a coment made by Chow......& I think you will find it is the "boys in brown"