Non-Immigrant 'O' Marriage Visa - Do I Need Work Permit To Work?

Dear all

I am married to my Thai wife, and I hold a Non-Immigrant 'O' marriage visa.

In future I would like to work here - my question is...do I need to apply for a work permit, is this allowed with a Non-Immigrant 'O' marriage visa, if so where do I go to apply for one..and what costs are involved?

many thanks in advance for your advice

Thanks lopburi3

I plan to rent and open a small falang-food restaurant, working as the cook, thus I would be self-employed and not working for any employer.

With my current Non-Imm 'O' marriage visa, I was wandering if I a work permit is granted with this visa status...or... if I would have to follow the -standard- path of creating a Thai company etc, for the purpose of receiving this work permit.

thanks

Thanks lopburi3

I plan to rent and open a small falang-food restaurant, working as the cook, thus I would be self-employed and not working for any employer.

With my current Non-Imm 'O' marriage visa, I was wandering if I a work permit is granted with this visa status...or... if I would have to follow the -standard- path of creating a Thai company etc, for the purpose of receiving this work permit.

thanks

Being married to a Thai doesn't help with the wp, you'll have to meet same requirements as other. You can't get a wp as self-employed, you'll need registered Thai-entity as an employer. This could, however, be a "small falang-food restaurant" owned by your wife as a sole proprietor, provided various financial, and paper requirements are met. I haven't updated my knowledge in these matters since 2008, so maybe things have changed.

I had the same question, to me it doesn't seem like it was directly answered. OP was asking if it is possible to get a WP on a Non-O visa, the answers it will not help being married. Some visas such as O-A and ED a WP cannot be obtained.

A non immigrant O visa for those married to a Thai can be used to meet entry requirements to obtain a work permit - but the question asked was about marriage not requiring a work permit or allowing a work permit to be issued on basis of marriage rather than having a job; and that it does not do.