Chiang Mai To Be A Smarter City

Buchholz

IBM selected Chiang Mai to be a Smarter City

ฺCHIANGMAI, 18 April 2011 (NNT)-IBM has chosen Chiang Mai province among 22 other cities around the world to become “Smarter City” with the information technology system to promote agriculture, industries and public health.

Chiang Mai Governor Momluang Panadda Dissakul said after meeting with U.S. Consul General in Chiang Mai Susan Stevenson and IBM representatives that the province would be the center of all standardized services in the Northern region.

Momluang Panadda adds that Chiang Mai offers reasonable process for medical services with highly trained staff while agriculture will also be linked globally as well as with the industrial sector. It was the first meeting between US’s giant Information Technology Company and Thailand.

More studies will be carried out prior to the system development in which the IBM will cover all expenses. The project is expected to proceed within this year. The so called creative city project is sponsored by the U.S.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-04-18 footer_n.gif

No amount of information technology is going to make a city smarter where people are dumb enough to poison themselves every March through air pollution. Becoming "smarter" can only be achieved through human development, perhaps with the help of technology, but not by technology. It is time for the media to dismiss the myth that technology has the ability to make anyone smart.

Cheers, CMX

Just some fodder for the thinking machine....

These guys from IBM, acame into CM and held meetings with the powers that be. They will not be charging for their time and effort and if Sollars and cents were to be put to it, would be making a heck of a donation to CM They say IBM will be paying for this.

In keeping in line with another thread running currently, this IBM donation is in planning stages. Planning is work.... Did anyone check if these guy have work permits and the correct visa.

I am not being smart azzed about this, but am trying to make a point as to where draw the line.

Any thoughts ???

G

Considering IBMs strategic alliance with Nazi Germany and their campaign to get everyone "on the grid" by making a smarter planet I would pay very close attention to what they are doing

Smarter means tracking and observing while creating a massive digital network grid using RFID

I assume a majority of people come to Chiang Mai to avoid that type of thing

Google IBM and Nazi Germany if you have any questions

There is also the CEO Samuel J. Palmisano's speech to the CFR about what a "smarter planet" means on the CFR website

These guys are not your friends :ph34r:

Edited by PlanetX

<br />is this a joke ????<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, of course it is!

And until the OP can spell the family name of the Governor correctly (it's 'Diskul' on his own personal card); distinguish CM city from the province of the same name, and our greatly esteemed tv people here eradicate the fiction that CM City is the 2nd biggest in Thailand, a joke it will remain!

I wish I had a Singha Beer for every time I've pointed out that CM PROVINCE is the 2nd largest PROVINCE in Thailand. CM CITY is 4th or 5th largest. Korat (Nakhon Rachasima) is easily Thailand's 2nd largest city.

Wake up at the back there!!

From the IBM Chiang Mai Branch Webpage:

One of the key strategies for IBM Thailand in 2010 is to support the government's policy to boost the economy through the "Creative Thailand" campaign. This is about boosting the economy by combining culture, knowledge base and creativity, with a focus on intellectual property. IBM will help public and private sectors across the country in the transformation of their products and services to compete globally.

IBM established a light branch office in Chiang Mai on February 17, 2010 to tap on the potential of Northern Thailand, being a large exporter of quality wood and handicraft, as well as home to a Medical and logistic hub. A city with strong culture, Chiang Mai is the largest city in Northern Thailand and is located 700 km north of Bangkok.

IBM hardware, software and services coupled with its network of business partners will help Chiang Mai compete at a global level.

Maybe I'm not cynical enough but this sounds like a GOOD thing to me....

No amount of information technology is going to make a city smarter where people are dumb enough to poison themselves every March through air pollution. Becoming "smarter" can only be achieved through human development, perhaps with the help of technology, but not by technology. It is time for the media to dismiss the myth that technology has the ability to make anyone smart.

Cheers, CMX

I doubt the local rice farmers and hilltribe users of swidden agriculture are the ones IBM will be directly assisting. Likely more along the lines of building the IT infrastructure in the area for government organizations and the ed sector. "Smarter" in this context has nothing to do with educating the populace but rather building advanced infrastructure/capabilities. Similar to the use of "wired."

Just some fodder for the thinking machine....

These guys from IBM, acame into CM and held meetings with the powers that be. They will not be charging for their time and effort and if Sollars and cents were to be put to it, would be making a heck of a donation to CM They say IBM will be paying for this.

In keeping in line with another thread running currently, this IBM donation is in planning stages. Planning is work.... Did anyone check if these guy have work permits and the correct visa.

I am not being smart azzed about this, but am trying to make a point as to where draw the line.

Any thoughts ???

G

They've had an office here for over a year so I suspect that they have taken care of all the necessary visas & permits. IBM tends to be on top of that sort of thing. The company is involved in more in the area than volunteer work.

Considering IBMs strategic alliance with Nazi Germany and their campaign to get everyone "on the grid" by making a smarter planet I would pay very close attention to what they are doing

Smarter means tracking and observing while creating a massive digital network grid using RFID

I assume a majority of people come to Chiang Mai to avoid that type of thing

Google IBM and Nazi Germany if you have any questions

There is also the CEO Samuel J. Palmisano's speech to the CFR about what a "smarter planet" means on the CFR website

These guys are not your friends :ph34r:

Darn, I forgot to bring my tinfoil hat...

Edited by CPT

Beware the Greeks bearing gifts.

Free infrastructure assistance... scary stuff!

<br /><br /><br />

Yes, of course it is!

And until the OP can spell the family name of the Governor correctly (it's 'Diskul' on his own personal card); distinguish CM city from the province of the same name, and our greatly esteemed tv people here eradicate the fiction that CM City is the 2nd biggest in Thailand, a joke it will remain!

I wish I had a Singha Beer for every time I've pointed out that CM PROVINCE is the 2nd largest PROVINCE in Thailand. CM CITY is 4th or 5th largest. Korat (Nakhon Rachasima) is easily Thailand's 2nd largest city.

I don't really see how a different transliteration makes this a joke? What difference does it make how large other people think Chiang Mai (city) is compared to other Thai cities?

Edited by CPT

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, CMX

Spot on.

Beware the Greeks bearing gifts.

Free infrastructure assistance... scary stuff!

<br /><br /><br />

Yes, of course it is!

I don't really see how a different transliteration makes this a joke? What difference does it make how large other people think Chiang Mai (city) is compared to other Thai cities?

Tinfoil hat because you cant be bothered to actually read about the history of a company

Next time bring your clown make-up as well

and nothing is "free"

Edited by PlanetX