Asian Fire Drill

thaimat

It looked like something out of an old Buster Keaton movie, I kept waiting for the high speed piano to kick in with the William Tell overture. Thai family in adjoining rooms for rent moving things from one room to another, running hither and thither with armfulls of clothes, toiletries, as if the room was on fire. It turns out that the GF of the family's son works in a body massage place, and has a New Zealander customer smitten with her. The Kiwi gives her B4000 per day, though she still works, and had given her B100,000 for Songkran. He was on his way over to see where she lives, to make sure she doesn't have a boyfriend. So the boyfriend's family and the BF were moving all evidence of his existence out of the room at very high speed, I've never seen people move so fast here. I wish I could get workers to move that fast! So the GF is telling the Thai BF that she only gives massage, no sex, (B4,000 per day would be some amazing massage, never mind the B100,000 "tip"; why the BF would think that she could get that kind of money for a massage, since he clearly doesn't know the truth, never mind why the customer would care if she had a BF, is beyond me, suffice to say the BF is no rocket scientist), and she is telling the Kiwi that she has no BF. Honesty, morality, and integrity unimportant when there's some money to be made. Though that could be the motto for the American Banking/Investment sector, it is still Amazing Thailand.

In my opinion if you don't tell this guy the truth then you are just as guilty as the girl and her family for conning him. Not to minimize the fact that he is either very green or very stupid, but to be morally correct I think you should still tell him.

I would be minding my own business and letting the relationship run its cause for better or worse

In my opinion if you don't tell this guy the truth then you are just as guilty as the girl and her family for conning him. Not to minimize the fact that he is either very green or very stupid, but to be morally correct I think you should still tell him.

I would be minding my own business and letting the relationship run its cause for better or worse

You seem to have a lot of information for someone who is minding their own business; including posting on this forum. In the end I guess you just have to do what you think is right.

You seem to have a lot of information for someone who is minding their own business; including posting on this forum. In the end I guess you just have to do what you think is right.

:D

I don't know the Kiwi, and am certainly not going to hang out at a body massage place in the hopes of finding him. Thanks for the sage advice though.

I do feel sorry for the Kiwi, so I tell the tale here in the hopes he'll read it.

I don't know the Kiwi, and am certainly not going to hang out at a body massage place in the hopes of finding him. Thanks for the sage advice though.

I've got to call BS on this one. Not that there might have been a family evacuating to give the daughter "her place" for the Kiwi b/f but the money that the b/f is supposedly sending her.

4,000 baht/day is about $130 US, so every day means he is giving her $47,450 per year. That does not include the supposed 100,000 baht for Songrkan, so let's say $50,000 per year.

The average New Zealander makes a little more than $35,000 per year. So if he is even average, he is sending more than he makes to her?

OK, say he makes much more. I don't want to generalize too much, but I would rather think someone making enough to live in NZ yet also send $50,000 per year to a girl in Thailand also makes enough to find a local girl who would be more than happy enough to be his friend.

So sorry, I just don't buy it.

The BF knows what's up. Thai guys aren't stupid enough to believe this. He just doesn't care and accepts her excuse. Probably likes having a GF with lots of money who buys him things.

Thainess magic.

You can call it anything you like. It's a true story, and I'm not selling anything here, so who cares if you " don't buy it". I wrote it in the hopes that the foolish but kind hearted, and "above average wealth" NZer would read it, and wake up to the fact that he is way overpaying, and being taken for the proverbial ride. For the rest of us, when you meet a lady, and she's asking for crazy kinds of money, this example might shed light on why.

I've got to call BS on this one. Not that there might have been a family evacuating to give the daughter "her place" for the Kiwi b/f but the money that the b/f is supposedly sending her.

4,000 baht/day is about $130 US, so every day means he is giving her $47,450 per year. That does not include the supposed 100,000 baht for Songrkan, so let's say $50,000 per year.

The average New Zealander makes a little more than $35,000 per year. So if he is even average, he is sending more than he makes to her?

OK, say he makes much more. I don't want to generalize too much, but I would rather think someone making enough to live in NZ yet also send $50,000 per year to a girl in Thailand also makes enough to find a local girl who would be more than happy enough to be his friend.

You can call it anything you like. It's a true story, and I'm not selling anything here, so who cares if you " don't buy it". I wrote it in the hopes that the foolish but kind hearted, and "above average wealth" NZer would read it, and wake up to the fact that he is way overpaying, and being taken for the proverbial ride. For the rest of us, when you meet a lady, and she's asking for crazy kinds of money, this example might shed light on why.

As I wrote, I am not saying you did not observe it, nor that the people involved told you that. I wasn't there, so how do I know what they told you?

I am just saying that their version of what this guy is sending them is very doubtful. Possible, sure, but people have been known to exaggerate, and I just doubt very much that some guy in NZ is sending that amount of money to the girl.

She works in a body massage joint, and she spends the night with him, so he is probably bar fining her out. Add the tip she gets for soapy services from him, to what he gives her for all night, and B4k isn't so far from the norm. He is only here for short time, I am guessing, since he doesn't know his way around prices, and I heard he goes back to NZ on the first, but as to why he gave her B100,000 for Songkran, who can say. I'll repeat again, I do not know the guy, nor how/where to find him, so these suggestions to tell him are pointless.

4000 baht a week maybe but not a day :blink:

OP if you care enough to post here in the hope he reads it then just tell the guy :unsure:

He will either believe you or not but at least you have done your bit.

heh, if a woman was giving me a month's salary for just a day and a bit of sex and just presented me with 2 years of salary, I'd do the same as that girl!

My wife would probably help me doing it! LOL.

A fool and his money...

Kin Moo !

heh, if a woman was giving me a month's salary for just a day and a bit of sex and just presented me with 2 years of salary, I'd do the same as that girl!

My wife would probably help me doing it! LOL.

A fool and his money...

Kin Moo !

Yup, sounds fishy to me too.

Nobody is that stupid.

Sending 20,000 baht a month is usual - sending that sort of money is beyond belief.

umm...no.

Don't try to make him feel guilty. Getting involved in strangers' romantic or business affairs is hardly EVER well received and can even put you in peril if you get involved with the wrong people.

I disagree. Stay out of it. The OP has to live there remember, telling the Kiwi who would simply go back to Kiwiland might seem the right thing to do, but as I said the OP still lives there. Next thing his pets might be poisoned, tyres slashed etcetera. Chances are the stupid Kiwi wouldn't believe you anyway.