Patpong Night Market Or Mbk :)

twilight79

Hey All

I love this website and hoping this forum will help us on our first trip to bangkok and thailand :)

My partner and me are arriving in bangkok late in may!!

We need to do sum good shopping before we fly off to phuket!

We need to buy suitcases, clothes such as shorts, t shirts, caps, slippers, sunnies, a watch each and maybe a laptop!!

Looking for brands such as oakley, ed hardy etc and was wondering if the patpong night market would be better or mbk??!!

Also we will be in bangkok for 2 days before we fly to phuket!!

I will be staying in Silom :)

One last thing aswell...are there any good money changers in the Silom area that will be open at night as we land in bangkok 21:00 and will head to the hotel straight after!!

Any help would be much appreciated especially with the shopping side mentioned above

Heaps of thanks :)

Cheers

Pantip for the laptop. MBK for everything else. Patpong for junk.

Thanks for replying mate!

Is mbk good for bargain shopping and is it an easy place to bargain?? Am looking to buy everything from scratch as we are travelling bagless!!

Is pantip close to mbk aswell?!! Looking for something dat works like a mac book!!

Cheers and thank u

Is mbk good for bargain shopping and is it an easy place to bargain?? Am looking to buy everything from scratch as we are travelling bagless!!

Is pantip close to mbk aswell?!! Looking for something dat works like a mac book!!

Cheers and thank u

Patpong would be the best place for bargaining. It's aimed at tourists. They start ridiculously high, and you might be able to get them down to a reasonable price.

At MBK, there isn't as much bargaining in a lot of places, unless you're buying more than one. But it's big and there's lots of competition.

Pantip isn't too far from MBK. Not really walking distance in the heat, but only a few minutes in a taxi / tuk tuk. Basically Central World, Pantip (and Platinum and Pratunam) and MBK are three corners of a large city block, with Pantip and MBK diagonally opposite corners. It's a bit hard to describe in a few words.

Good advice from whybother.

Airport gives competitive exchange rates. In Silom Natty Gem is about the best and you can haggle a little. Siam Exchange gives even better but don't haggle. they won't be open when you arrive so I'd change some at Suv airport on arrival. Telephone both for rates. Sure you can Google numbers, but if not I'll PM them to you.

Get a DTAC sim card at airport also. For international calls use prefix 009 rather than +. Cheaper.

Have a great trip and stay safe.

Is mbk good for bargain shopping and is it an easy place to bargain?? Am looking

Heya mate

Thanks for replying!!

U have made it much easier for us!!! I wanted to go to patpong but was just not sure if it would be safe after 10pm at night?!

Wat do you think?? Am thinking of doing patpong the night i arrive then mbk and the other lot the day after :)

Do you think dats a wise decision??!

Cheers and appreciate ur input

Hi andrew55

Thanks for the info mate :)

I was tossing up if i should get a prepaid sim or not but have decided to do so! Am just hoping they have micro sims for an iphone though lol

Will hav a look for sure! Also thank u for the money exchangers and will google to grab their info and rates!!

I really appreciate your help guys and any info or tips would be valuable to us :)

Hav a good 1

Is mbk good for bargain shopping and is it an easy place to bargain?? Am looking

Heya mate

Thanks for replying!!

U have made it much easier for us!!! I wanted to go to patpong but was just not sure if it would be safe after 10pm at night?!

Wat do you think?? Am thinking of doing patpong the night i arrive then mbk and the other lot the day after :)

Do you think dats a wise decision??!

Cheers and appreciate ur input

Yep. Good idea to go to Patpong that night. It will be fine after 10. Take the standard precautions you would in any town/city ... dark allies and all that.

I'm not sure when the stalls start shutting, but pretty sure they're open until after that.

Have a look through Patpong the night you arrive, getting an idea of basic prices for things you want. Go to MBK the following day to see how things compare. Go back to Patpong to get what you found was cheaper there.

I'm not sure when the stalls start shutting, but pretty sure they're open until after that.

Have a look through Patpong the night you arrive, getting an idea of basic prices for things you want. Go to MBK the following day to see how things compare. Go back to Patpong to get what you found was cheaper there.

Yup dat sounds goood :)

Thank u guys!! Any more tips if needed plz let me know

Much appreciated

Regards

Pratunam Market ( ประตูน้ำ) is one of Bangkok's major markets, focusing on clothes which makes it Thailand's largest clothing market. The name Pratunam means Water gate.

Pratunam Market

The Pratunam Market is located near the Amari Watergate and Indra Regent hotels, and is easily accessible from Ratchaprarop Road. Inside is a maze of small lanes filled with shops offering great bargains on clothes and textiles. The market is very compact, and you may get a bit disoriented. but don't worry...you'll come across everything from discount T-shirts and bootleg brands to beach clothes and formal evening wear while you shop your way back out to the street.

Panthip Plaza

The best place to go for any type computer shopping is the multistory Panthip Plaza located on Petchburi Road iin Pratunam (not far from The Amari Watergate Hotel). Prices are very cheap. Panthip Plaza is most famous for the huge selection of software available. As well as software, all of the top Hollywood movies are also available on DVD or VCD.

Accross the street from each other so very convenient.

Just to add my two cents worth, you said your looking for brand names - At both Patpong and MBK you'll only get copies of the brand names and the quality you'd expect from a copy, although some are better than others.

If you want originals then look at some of the more reputable stores like at Central world and Central, prices reflect the 'originality' of the product.

I'd always recommend JJ weekend market, but it is huge!!

A few words of caution, especially for a first timer.

Do not carry a lot of cash (just what you need for the evening) and do not flash it around or carry expensive gear, especially at night.

Know your prices.  Know what something would cost you back home (where ever that is).  That way you will have a better chance of knowing if you are indeed getting a bargain.

In the markets, and MBK, it is possible to get good prices on clothes, but, of course, it depends on exactly what you are looking for.   But for consumer electronics, many items are more expensive here in Thailand than elsewhere, especially than in the USA. So REALLY know the prices of these items.

Patpong is for tourists, and the prices are appropriately high.  It is also full of knockoffs and copies, so be careful of what you are paying for.

Watch out for the scammers and the mafia in Puket.

Remember that Thais do not like farang.  They want your money and will do whatever thay can to separate you from it, but they do not want you.

Be careful, be wise, be safe and have a good trip.

Hello,

Good questions - as someone who has a LOT of shopping experience, I will try to shed my views.

MBK: Predominantly for clothes, cosmetics and jewellery. A very good range of things, catering to western sizes (not always guaranteed in Thailand as Thais are much smaller people generally).

Pantip: For anything electronic, and a few other things. Understand that most sellers here buy items from a single wholesaler - if you have time, find the wholesaler who will typically have the cheapest price, and youw ill have a lower price to begin haggling. Yes, haggling is typical at Pantip, but be polite or the price may go up or your custom may be refused (as I have seen some from India, who are famously impolite when bargaining, experience). You can haggle on price, if you are smart - the traditional haggling price will not work, but if you have sales experience, reverse the table and think in respect that the owner would rather sell to you at a reduced price, than not get any asle at all. I bargain on most single and multiple items at MBK, with the exception of food items. Avoid western electronics brands (Apple, Blackberry), as they are actually cheaper in western countries in most cases.

Patpong: Go there for the experience, I would not shop there unless you are on a last minute shopping run and have no choice. Prices are EXTREMELY high (higher than shops here in NZ), and some sellers refuse to bargain, or may only reduce their hugely over inflated prices by 10-20%. The same goes for the markets along Sukhumvit. Another place worth considering, is Khao San Road area during the day, which is also a great experience in terms of the chaos of Bangkok tourism.

If you are looking for clothes, a place that many Thais know (but not many farangs) is directly accross the road from Platinum shopping mall in Pratunam, through the small alleyways accross the road. HUGE shopping areas for clothes and clothing accessories, at Thai prices. Be aware, most shop owners here dont speak English - this is a Thai area. You may need to get a motorbike taxi out, as it is very easy to get lost here.

Chinatown/Yaowarat: Prices are also very high here, but you can get a lot of decen stuff here if you shop around, at reasonable (not cheap, not expensive) prices. Worth a look, because you can eat some of the best food in Bangkok here at the same time.

Wow!!

That's really great guys :) thank u thank u and thank u for all the info!!

Am happy to shop for copies as we cannot afford the original brands as they are quite expensive!!

So I think mbk will be the best place to start it all off but we might visit patpong the night we land!!

Pantip is defn on the charts and bargain I will as I sell for a living so I know how not to be pushy and negotiate the best deals lol

Thanks again everyone! I trust and respect ur advice and will be extremely cautious and protective

Thanks again and hoping this trip will be all that I want it too be!!!

Cheers

Cheers and thank u

Try platinum and shop below baiyoke towers for some fun tees and shorts ...cheap prices too , MBK doesnt bargain .Its not that far from Silom too , just drop in a taxi / tuk tuk ... Patpong is all junk , beware of ur pockets there

try Platinum mall in Pratunam area for cheap but good quality clothes. Chatuchak market (weekend market) for all kinds of things. The market offers everything from clothes to handmade souveniors.

Good advice from whybother.

Airport gives competitive exchange rates. In Silom Natty Gem is about the best and you can haggle a little. Siam Exchange gives even better but don't haggle. they won't be open when you arrive so I'd change some at Suv airport on arrival. Telephone both for rates. Sure you can Google numbers, but if not I'll PM them to you.

Get a DTAC sim card at airport also. For international calls use prefix 009 rather than +. Cheaper.

Have a great trip and stay safe.

yer joking right?

if you have time

superrich (google it) gives competive rates

vasu too.

patpong or mbk?

MBK for a more fixed price.

for the kind of stuff you are looking for patpong has a better selection, but you must be a good bargainer, but in the thai way. smile smile smile, walk away, pay, smile.

not as easy as it sounds

Wow!!

That's really great guys :) thank u thank u and thank u for all the info!!

Am happy to shop for copies as we cannot afford the original brands as they are quite expensive!!

So I think mbk will be the best place to start it all off but we might visit patpong the night we land!!

Pantip is defn on the charts and bargain I will as I sell for a living so I know how not to be pushy and negotiate the best deals lol

Thanks again everyone! I trust and respect ur advice and will be extremely cautious and protective

Thanks again and hoping this trip will be all that I want it too be!!!

Cheers

double check electronics at Pantip...they can CON you. but havenot experienced such thing at MBK. Be vigilant in Patpong. happy shopping

Panthip Plaza

The best place to go for any type computer shopping is the multistory Panthip Plaza located on Petchburi Road iin Pratunam (not far from The Amari Watergate Hotel). Prices are very cheap. Panthip Plaza is most famous for the huge selection of software available. As well as software, all of the top Hollywood movies are also available on DVD or VCD.

I would recommend a different place for IT stuff. Fortune IT Mall, if you get onto the MRT (underground/subway) and get off at 'Phra Ram 9' station that's right next to it.

However as you're in the area a trip to 'PanTip' might be worthwhile, at least to see the place as it's pretty big and very well known. For me however, I don't go there any more as it's much more convenient for me to go to the Fortune IT Mall.

If you decide to shop in Patpong Market, try to pay around half of what they originally ask. This becomes easier when you buy more than one item. As nocturn said, keep smiling and just walk away if you're not happy.

Don't be tempted by any of the touts who will try to get you into the 'upstairs' bars. They are a waste of money and you will be ripped off.

Have a great holiday.

If you decide to shop in Patpong Market, try to pay around half of what they originally ask. This becomes easier when you buy more than one item. As nocturn said, keep smiling and just walk away if you're not happy.

Don't be tempted by any of the touts who will try to get you into the 'upstairs' bars. They are a waste of money and you will be ripped off.

Have a great holiday.

thank you all for replying :)

i am defn doing mbk, pantip and patpong!!

will have a good look at every place and all the prices!

i was tempted to have a look at the go-go bars but not going to do so coz i dont wanna be ripped lol

the mrs wont b happy too but shes kool :)

thanks yo all...and i have looked up superrich and they hav good conversion rates

cheers

whatever ur looking for in MBK and Pantip u can find in Phuket at very near,y the same prices

Plenty of very inexpensive places to buy things in Phuket town ( dont try ad buy in Patong)

They have great computer places in Big c and prices are the same as Bangkok

Havn't been to Patpong in over 8 years so no idea about it but it has never been an unsafe place to visit ( as long as u stay on firts floor bars)