What Do I Need To Do To Get A Thai Driver'S Licence

MangoAndCo

My licence expired many years ago and I want to get my licence in CM (and I will be needing some lessons to freshen up my skills)

But about getting a licence, what does it take?

Do I need to be a registered CM-resident?

And for this, is showing a document that I have unregistered myself in my homecountry necessairy?

Maybe I don't need to be registered in CM, but showing a 1-year-rental contract (house) would be enough?

(I try to avoid unregister myself in my homecountry as long as I can)

And I assume buying a car doesn't require a lot of paperwork... (that's what I hope for anyway)

Thanx for any info!

Edited by MangoAndCo

Lessons? Yes, there are driving schools, but I'm not sure I'd want to learn anything from them. Freshening up is something you may have to do alone. I didn't drive a car for over a year when I first got here, but had no trouble remembering as soon as I got behind the wheel.

As for the licence, I think you need a non-imm visa, though I'm sure someone will come along with stories of having got one on a tourist visa. Also a 'letter of residence' from immigration or a work permit or a your name in a Tabian Baan. Theory test isn't too tricky, practical test is a joke and I think not possible to fail.

To buy a car, paperwork as above, though again someone may have done it on a tourist visa....

As for the documents, why not go to the office up the Hangdong Road jus tbefore Big C and they will tell you exactly what you require. If I remember right there was a medical certificate, a letter that could be either from your embassy or immigration. However rules change and it might be better to get an upto date list. The theory side is done on a computer, I think it is 23 (?) out of 30 questions correct to pass. Then they test peripheral vision, reaction time and as already noted, the practical. This is carried out behind the offices without anyone sitting with you. For some reason, at the time, if you were driving an automatic you had to demonstrate parallel parking, not to sure of the connection but no matter, at least it was entertaining watching the reversing. The same questions etc are also used for the motorbike test. That involved riding about 10m on a narrowish rail and in and out of cones and that was it.

Go to immigration with your passport, rental contract, and pictures and have 2 certificates of residency made. Then goto the doctor/hospital and get a health check done(for DL).

Take all of the above to the MVA just before the BIG C hang dong. Upstairs, first aisle closest to you as you walk in. Tell her you want a DL.

As stated above, if you no longer have a valid license from you home country you will have to take 2 or 3 tests. 1 is theory/written, 1 is practical/driving, and you may have to do a eye/reaction test also. If you have a valid license from your home country you can probably just have a new Thai license made without testing.

there are 2 different grades of licenses nowadays. The old laminated paper and the new smartcard. I don't know if either is better, think the smartcard was about 250B.

After this you can take the 2nd cert of residency tot he car dealer and purchase a car.

Maybe I don't need to be registered in CM, but showing a 1-year-rental contract (house) would be enough?

Take it along to CM immigration to get 1 certificate of residency, cost 500bht, no queue ticket needed, far window on the left.

You need photocopies of passport info and VISA pages and two passport photos.

Hospital nearby will provide medical certificate for 100bht

Turn up at the Driving licence office in Hang Dong Road before 9am and you can leave later that day with a nice 1 year Thai licence.

The test is a repeat until you pass style test, that ANYONE can pass in 1 day, even if you have never sat in a car before.

CM only do the new cards.

M/c and car are separate licences, if you want both apply at the same time so you don't need to buy 2 certificates of residency from Immigration.

Edited by sarahsbloke

That;s a "if you're lucky" thing. I think technically you need to have a non-imm visa, but nothing is 100%. I got my first license on a tourist visa a little over two years ago and 2nd (5yr) when I was on a non imm.

Wow...this is do-able... and I can do all of this on a Tourist Visa?

If you don't have a valid driver's license from another country it takes a lot longer to get a driver's license. You must get behind the wheel and take a test. You must pass a written test. If you already have a driver's license from another country, you just watch a video, taking "reaction/depth perception test" and are out very quickly.

quote name='THAIPHUKET' timestamp='1305474738' post='4426130']

To get this straight= visa documents etc no problem + valid German drivers license ( Euro card type) ok. Q= is a Thai driving test required or not?

( I am driving since 20 years automatic )

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW... my thai wife went to get her thai license today. She had been studying for the thai test (downloaded from the internet) and when she went to the office, she showed them her USA license and they said, OH... you don't need to take a thai test, all you need is your medical report and do the video thing and brake and color blind test. What a pleasant surprise.

If you are Thai to get a drivers license you need -

1. No ability to drive at all

2. No knowledge of any road law

3. No road etiquette

4. Inability to tell the difference between red and green

5. The ability to drive on the wrong side of the road

6. To demonstrate an inability to drive in one lane only.

7. Ability to turn right at any time from the left of three lanes.

8. To be unable to park in one parking bay only. Two minimum required to pass "test"

9. Reversing skills totally uneccessary

10. To understand that patience and tolerance are no longer buddhist traits when driving

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick few questions if anyone is able to assist.

I have most of the docs required, medical, passport, photo's, non immigrant O,etc.

I live with gf and have for many years, so rental agreement is in her name. If I get a letter from her confirming my address, and a copy of her ID card and take that to Immigration would that satisfy them as to my address, or better still bring her?

Next, I have a valid car license (for UK and Australia, both of which I have on me) , and have held a motor bike license for Indonesia/Philippines which I have not renewed or have old ones here as they are basically not reconised in a lot of countries (much like Thai licenses I guess). I have been cruising around on a Honda Click in CM and surrounds for a few years now and when stopped occasionally by the BIB have simply shown my Australian car license and been waived on. Anyone have any experience on how flexible the license office would be to basically add a bike license (without test) if I asked nicely, or if the need be paid what gratuity was required? It does not seem that clear to mehow hard the enforcement regime is given the driving skills of some Thai's and that most of my gf's friends will not drive on Friday as they do not have a license anyway and will not take the few hours off work to get one.

And lastly is there a good (or bad) time or day to front up at Immigration/License people. I gather that lunchtime would not be a good move but any other time is good/bad or specific days?

Thanks in anticipation peoples....

Edited by mamborobert

The great thing about getting a Thai Licence is that ( the smart card version at least) acts in many circumstances like a Thai ID. Cheap entry into National parks, good for banks/ credit cards/ shopping etc

Go for it

Go to immigration with your passport, rental contract, and pictures and have 2 certificates of residency made.

There was a time when you could use one COR as long as it stipulated the things it was being used for and within the time frame. E.g. Drivers Licence & Buy Car.

Has it all changed now?