Closure Of "what Have You Touched..."

UncleDonald

This topic was closed after several posts which were tasteless to say the least and assumed incorrectly that the point of the original post was to generate such a response. (Naive on the OP's part, perhaps) The closure itself was similarly tasteless given that the thread is directed at those who indicate an interest in medical topics.

Uncle Donald's purpose, had there been any sensible response, and the thread had continued, was to bring some attention to an issue that may prove somewhat more important than some others in this forum, that is the likely transmission path of viral infections, a matter that may prove of interest to many in the near future, given the progress of avian flu less than an hour air time from Bangkok. At present government response is as might be predicted from current leadership, here and elsewhere, of the "command and control style" (Tamiflu, quarantines, etc) and it is Uncle Donald's view that this approach will not suffice and may even be completely ineffective. On the other hand most people are very much unaware of day to day activities that aggravate viral transmission. Do you think about that ATM machine? That BTS strap? Do you know the best way to protect yourself and your family during an epidemic? Do you know what happened in Bangkok in October of 1918, the last time bird flu came to town? Uncle Donald suspects that once again central governments and M16s may not be the key. Wiser advice has long been available in Thailand, and the people for the most part will recognize and respect it when it comes. Meanwhile, some discussion of the topic would certainly seem to be in order.

This was the drift of where we were going, not adolescent sex talk. But, boys, maybe you're not interested this year....

Edited by UncleDonald

You might have made your point more clear in the beginning. As posted, your poll was incomprehensible and invited the replies it got along with the quick closure of the topic.

Why not try again and explain that you're trying to raise consciousness about the importance of hand washing or whatever it is you're advocating?

You might have made your point more clear in the beginning. As posted, your poll was incomprehensible and invited the replies it got along with the quick closure of the topic.

Why not try again and explain that you're trying to raise consciousness about the importance of hand washing or whatever it is you're advocating?

Absolutely :o

As a contributor to the previous thread in a light hearted way (because the OP made no sense whatsoever) I'd be happy to contribute sensibly to a sensible thread topic.

Absolutely :o

As a contributor to the previous thread in a light hearted way (because the OP made no sense whatsoever) I'd be happy to contribute sensibly to a sensible thread topic.

agree ... :D

Actually, interestingly enough Sir Burr, if you read the current news you will find that they have traced the origin of the 1918 influenza outbreak to a bird flu that jumped directly to humans:

Time article on 1918 Influenza epidemic

Working from snippets of tissue from victims of that long-ago plague—one from an Inuit woman buried in permanently frozen soil in Alaska, two others from autopsy samples taken from American soldiers who died in the Northeast—scientists from the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, the Centers for Disease Control and other institutions determined that the lethal Spanish flu was itself a bird flu that evolved to infect humans directly.

But, back to the topic of handwashing, frankly I think that the fear of bacteria is all hogwash and the idea of constant handwashing and the "antibacterialization" of things is the key contributing factor to the weakening of people's immune systems. An immune system is actually strengthened by fighting off bacteria and if you never give it that chance by living in an overly clean environment you put yourself at risk of contracting even the slightest bug that comes along because of your weakened immune system.

SBK, I stand corrected, but the OPs thread is still irrelevent.

Fully agree with you regarding washing hands etc.

Since kids no longer go out to play in the wide world and are taught not to eat worms or earth, child allergies have exploded in numbers. I think this is a direct result of the point you were making.

This merry crew, diverted from masturbation jokes, sallies forth behind "Sir Burr"  who trumpets almost perfect misinformation...

D@mn... Sir Burr beat me to it this time... :D

I'm sure I beat him in those other threads... :D

/Edit - got any good <deleted> jokes? :o

Edited by Jai Dee

i think he brings a much needed touch of the unexpected and the bizarre to this forum.

his strange posts are a welcome diversion from the attention seeking philibustering of scampy and bambina , the pomposity of merton , web cams in a surin old age home , terdsaks endless promotion of his new roof-rack , a football team celebrating a 0-9 defeat as a great result , boon mees crusade against everything and , it must be said , the grumpy rantings of taxexile.

i think he brings a much needed touch of the unexpected and the bizarre  to this forum.

his strange posts are a welcome diversion from the attention seeking philibustering of scampy and bambina , the pomposity of merton , web cams in a surin old age home , terdsaks endless promotion of his new roof-rack , a football team celebrating a 0-9 defeat as a great result , boon mees crusade against everything  and , it must be said , the grumpy rantings of taxexile.

Agree with the above, but I'm still glad we took the piss from his unexplainable first posting on the subject. :o

OP requests closure of this topic, will try again another day. Thanks

Awww... don't throw all the toys out of the pram... we were only having a bit of harmless fun... :o

No offense intended OK?

Why not start a new thread and fully explain yourself, and we'll give it all the due attention it deserves.

his strange posts are a welcome diversion from the attention seeking philibustering of scampy and bambina , the pomposity of merton , web cams in a surin old age home , terdsaks endless promotion of his new roof-rack , a football team celebrating a 0-9 defeat as a great result , boon mees crusade against everything and , it must be said , the grumpy rantings of taxexile.

:o:D:D

:D:D:D

Ah... bkkmadness... you are missed... :D

Whare have you been... :o

C'mon guys... let's give the guy/gal a break... :D

he's had 36 posts and 2 threads closed already. The 'why was my thread closed' threads go the same way.

we should be more tolerant of eccentrics.

i , for one , welcome them.

just because some may not understand his postings is surely not enough reason to curtail his right to post. no offence has been caused to others by his posts.

sounds a bit like book burning.

Edited by taxexile

You obviously are unaware how flu viruses spread.

Me too.

Okay, so after a few googles... seems they only spread in airborne moisture particles expelled by sneezes or just exhaling. In cold dry weather they can survive outside the body for up to 48 hours. A few sites mentioned indirect contact e.g. via doorknobs, but I notice the most reputable do not. Is this issue disputed?

I also learnt that Kleenex are marketing an "Anti-Viral Tissue" and will no doubt make a killing when the bird flu comes. Probably they are working with the chickens.

Anything more?

he's had 36 posts and 2 threads closed already. The 'why was my thread closed' threads go the same way.

just because some may not understand his postings is surely not enough reason to curtail his right to post. no offence has been caused to others by his posts.

I'll second that!

The majority of posters, with the exception of yourself of course, probably have the accumulated I.Q. of a snuffling hedgehog but at least they responded which is more than can be said of the lumpen,lupine, allegedly moderating,influence operating within this forum.The voice of science through the ages has had many octaves but it seems those destined to hear are eternally tone deaf.

AAAAHHHHHHTIIIISHHHOOOO

good point

The majority of posters, with the exception of yourself of course, probably have the accumulated I.Q. of a snuffling hedgehog but at least they responded which is more than can be said of the lumpen,lupine, allegedly moderating,influence operating within this forum.The voice of science through the ages has had many octaves but it seems those destined to hear are eternally tone deaf.

:o:D :D

I just luuuurve Monday mornings...

:D

:o:D :D

I just luuuurve Monday mornings...

:D

Imagine it being said in the voice of Sylvester of "Sylvester and Tweety" fame and its even funnier. :D

cv

From the few posts ive seen from this Uncle D, a few things spring to mind, namely (in order of importance/relavence);

1, obsessive-compulsive disorder

2, Possible hidden autism

3, lack of evidence to the point of urban myth (i.e. you can catch HIV from a toilet seat)

4, Bonkers

5, Far too much time on his own talking to himself

could anyone with any real knowledge of suggest wath they think?