How Long After Getting Visa Must I Arrive In Thailand

Hi,

If I (and my children) get a Non-Immigrant Visa Type "O" with the purpose of staying with my thai wife (and mother of our children), then

1) How long after the visa is issued, must it be before we actually arrive in Thailand. Any limit here, can it for example be 3 months later?

2) As my wife would probably go to Thailand before us, will it be a problem for us getting through immigration, if she is not "by our side"?

Thanks and best regards,

Bob.

If you have children of a Thai they should obtain Thai passports and use them for entry into Thailand - no visa required.

For you a single entry visa is only valid for 90 days so entry must be made before it expires. For one year multi it is valid for one year. Best to obtain close to departure time.

Wife is not required at entry - your visa allows that.

If you have children of a Thai they should obtain Thai passports and use them for entry into Thailand - no visa required.

For you a single entry visa is only valid for 90 days so entry must be made before it expires. For one year multi it is valid for one year. Best to obtain close to departure time.

Wife is not required at entry - your visa allows that.

Hi :-)

Let's say I go for a one year multi visa (Non-Immigrant Visa Type "O" for Family Visit). So when you write it is best to obtain close to departure time, is it because there is a rule about this (like a max number of days from visa being issued to departure date)?

Thanks and best regards Bob.

No but the validity of the visa starts on the day it is issued so your last possible entry date is reduced one day for every day later than issue that you arrive. All entries must have been made prior to that one year from issue date.

I'll explain the 'o' Visa in simple terms.

You send your Passport to the Thai Consulate. They issue the Visa effective the date they process it usually the next day.

Post your passport back to you with a Valid Visa inside.

For the 'O' visa you get 12 months to enter Thailand from the Valid date.

When you enter Thailand you get a 90 days Stamp after that you need to cross the border. For instance Cambodia then re-enter as long as your 'O' Visa is still in date you get another 90 days.

You can enter Thailand right upto the last date on your Visa and obtain 90 days therefore getting 15 months out of your 12 month Visa.

I would suggest you obtain your 'O' Visa a couple of days before Flying. The UK Consulates will get your passport back to you by return post.

Monday you post it to them Special delivery

Tuesday they get and process your visa and post it back to you

Wednesday you receive your passport with Visa included dated from Tuesday.

Hope this helps

Spot on..can I add that it's well worth making a note of the visa expiry date on your phone or wall calender etc. a year is a long time and you may do some visa runs early to fit in with friends so the last exit date stamp may not apply. A mate of mine missed out on his final 90 days because of this!

The above is only valid for a multi entry non immigrant visa - a single entry would only be valid for one entry within 90 days of issue.

The expiration date is on the visa itself - can be ignored but hard to miss if you look. But yes a reminder, if you look at it, can be useful. I find Google mail good for that with a reminder email to jog your memory.

You would need the passport to arrive with so should obtain from Embassy/Consulate. Were children born in US? If so wife will have to register with Thai Consulate for a Thai birth certificate as that is vital for both passport and registration on home register in Thailand.