Bringing Cash Into Thailand

flightest

There's no limit to the amount of money you can bring into Thailand. However, there are limits to how much money you can leave with per person, unless you have special authorization (this exact amount seems to change from time to time). You can carry out any amount of foreign currency, but there are restrictions at banks on how much Thai baht you can convert into foreign currency at one time, and for large amounts you will need to show your airplane ticket and passport, and maybe provide an explanation for very large amounts

There's no limit to the amount of money you can bring into Thailand. However, there are limits to how much money you can leave with per person, unless you have special authorization (this exact amount seems to change from time to time). You can carry out any amount of foreign currency, but there are restrictions at banks on how much Thai baht you can convert into foreign currency at one time, and for large amounts you will need to show your airplane ticket and passport, and maybe provide an explanation for very large amounts

yepp, there seem to be no limit on cash foreign currency you can bring in to Thailand

However the intenational laundry control kicks in at 20.000 usd on transfers, so same could be applied on cash

as you didnt ask how much you can take out from UK, we leave that ;)

You can bring in or take out $20,000 US or equivalent, without declaring it. You can only take out 50,000 in Baht, unless traveling to a neighboring country, then it is raised to 500,000 Baht. See link: Thai Customs Scroll to near the bottom of the page and it states currency limitations... Amazing what a Google search will find...

Edited by Jimi007

You can bring in or take out $20,000 US or equivalent, without declaring it. You can only take out 50,000 in Baht, unless traveling to a neighboring country, then it is raised to 500,000 Baht. See link: Thai Customs Scroll to near the bottom of the page and it states currency limitations... Amazing what a Google search will find...

You got it right. It should be further noted that carrying gold/silver coins also count towards this USD 20K equivalent. In many countries, if they catch you trying to bring in an amount over the stated limit, they can confiscate all of it and good luck getting it back. Depending on the unclaimed amount and your explanation (or lack thereof), you could also face criminal charges.

I brought 16k cash in one time, was easy, but I wasn't stopped at immigration - I still think about if I had been stopped ......................................TIT jap.gif

I would have been more concerned in taking it out of the uk, but Im sure you could have show its origin.. :rolleyes:

I had always heard leaving the us ya can only leave with $10,000. I take it this is incorrect.I read this in other websites as well.

The OP's question wasn't how much you can take from the US, it was how much can you bring into Thailand. The US regulation is:

Currency Export regulations:

Local currency (United States Dollar-USD) and foreign currencies: no restrictions, provided that arriving and departing passengers must report to US customs any money or other monetary instruments exceeding USD 10,000.-. Gold: Importation of gold coins or small, non-commercial quantities of gold must be declared upon arrival.